Thailand weighs suit against Singaporean organizers of ‘SONGKRAN’

webfact

Thailand weighs suit against Singaporean organizers of ‘SONGKRAN’
By Coconuts Bangkok

singkran_0.jpg?itok=uaU3B8HA

BANGKOK: -- Tourism officials are consulting with the government’s copyright office to determine whether to take legal action against the Singaporean organizers of next month’s “Celebrate Songkran” party.

Wilaiwan Tawichsri, a deputy governor with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said today that should Singapore host a Songkran party every year, it could confuse and discourage tourists from attending Thailand, the festival’s home.

She added TAT is studying methods of registering trademarks for Thai traditions such as Songkran and Loy Krathong to prevent other countries in ASEAN from stealing them.

Meanwhile Chai Nakornchai, the director general of Department of Cultural Promotion points out Singapore has the right to host a Songkran party because it’s a tradition that doesn’t only belong to Thailand and cannot be “claimed.”

However the director of Culture Surveillance Bureau says it is not right for Singapore to distort the tradition and host Songkran [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/03/19/thailand-weighs-suit-against-singaporean-organizers-songkran

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-03-19

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said before. ''Thailand is the hub of imitation as opposed to innovation.'' Now we can throw in ''The hub of AESEAN litigation too.whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

Thailand you own nothing.

What about the bum gun ?.....tongue.png

Well I am going to copyright Saint Paddies day, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July and any of you <deleted> lot on TV even mention one of those holidays, I want US$ 10 everytime you use one of those those names....thumbsup.gif

but back to topic, how arrogant are these people to claim a "holiday" which I think originated in India and the actual word comes from Sanskrit anyone want to inform the Indian goverment and maybe they can counter sue the Thai goverment ?

What a gang of morons

• Like 2

Thailand you own nothing.

What about the bum gun ?.....tongue.png

Well I am going to copyright Saint Paddies day, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July and any of you <deleted> lot on TV even mention one of those holidays, I want US$ 10 everytime you use one of those those names....thumbsup.gif

but back to topic, how arrogant are these people to claim a "holiday" which I think originated in India and the actual word comes from Sanskrit anyone want to inform the Indian goverment and maybe they can counter sue the Thai goverment ?

What a gang of morons

Can anyone help ? I seem to remember a few years ago they tried to claim exclusive ' ownership ' of Full Moon parties.

The stupidity at times defies description.

• Like 2

This country really is getting more moronic every day.

Next they will find this Malaysian airlines plane having a wash on Don Muang. Maybe Thaksin stole it? Or Suthep has parked in in the south.

I mean every day, there is another idiotic fantastic headline. Its like Notthenation come to life

• Like 2

The strict policing in Singapore will make it a "claytons' Songkran. And it would be 10 times more expensive for the average traveler.

Thailand shouldn't be worried too much. If they have a good product they will come. I don't see the Chinese kicking up a fuse about Thailand having large Chinese New Year festivals . rolleyes.gif

In Singapore the tourist don't have to be scared:

- street fight with army weapons (in popcorn sack of course), grenades, M16 machine gun,

- extremely corrupted police officers who may do anything for money,

- high risk on roads.

They have to scared only the water-guns and splash, and this is the true Songkran celebration. Isn't it?

AND the Songkran celebration is not a trade mark, can be organized every-where around the world.

The strict policing in Singapore will make it a "claytons' Songkran. And it would be 10 times more expensive for the average traveler.

Thailand shouldn't be worried too much. If they have a good product they will come. I don't see the Chinese kicking up a fuse about Thailand having large Chinese New Year festivals . rolleyes.gif

No u dont. Why?, because the Chinese actually have something to be proud of, and are slowly but surely developing the country forward.

Which is completely in opposition to thailand, who have little identity, other than what Bangkok has driven onto everyone, and an international image that extends barely beyond "hey GI, love u long time".

All very tragic really. What an image.