What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

infinity11

Nonsense. Buddhism does not have a higher power. It is a sign of respect.

So everyone does it to everyone right? EVERYONE

Does what to everyone? Wai. Then yes of course. The neighbors teach their kids to wai me. They don't teach their kids to wai the dog. Respect people? I guess so. Why would you find that odd?

Let me go find a crowbar. Does everyone wai everyone? all... regardless of stature?

They respect life. A guy like you is no more important than a beggar with no shoes. Get it?

You know why the monks don't wear shoes when they beg each morning?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me go find a crowbar. Does everyone wai everyone? all... regardless of stature?

if Wai, is the praying and bowing motion, I was told it is for the young to do in respect for the elder, and not to do it back to anyone younger than me

Indeed, have you ever seen it with older people doing it to younger people such as YL?

So we are talking about Wai etiquette now? Yes I have seen older people wai younger people especially when I was teaching.

But if you want to turn pedantic say so now because you are mixing two things up.

if Wai, is the praying and bowing motion, I was told it is for the young to do in respect for the elder, and not to do it back to anyone younger than me

Indeed, have you ever seen it with older people doing it to younger people such as YL?

So we are talking about Wai etiquette now? Yes I have seen older people wai younger people especially when I was teaching.

But if you want to turn pedantic say so now because you are mixing two things up.

Nothing to do with age but all to do with subservience. You Wai someone (only) who you consider of a higher stature than you.

What a pathetic collection of ignoramuses apart from Thailiketoo.

Hypocrites the lot of you. If you live in Thailand learn about Buddhism. Ask the monks.

I went to a temple yesterday to do the sandcastle thing with a Yank mate. He constantly mocked the whole process. I went and chatted with a group of monks and they told me the significance of the sand. Then we talked about general spiritual practices for 30 minutes.

Ask the monks not farang with gold digging women of dubious morality.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Older people to younger?

No, only me until I was told me to stop,

but I sometimes did by accident until I finally learned to stop

when Thai wai, pray, kneel, or worship, they only think money

Not true. They think about good health, happiness, love and their dream comes true. Sometimes it may involve money, but I am pretty sure most of the time they wish for happiness and not necessary wishing for money.

Nothing to do with age but all to do with subservience. You Wai someone (only) who you consider of a higher stature than you.

Nonsense. How can you live in Thailand and be so clueless? Go read a book on wai etiquette. Stop generalizing about things you are not well informed about.

Subservience and respect are two different words. When you understand that you will have a start.

• Like 2

Not true. They think about good health, happiness, love and their dream comes true. Sometimes it may involve money, but I am pretty sure most of the time they wish for happiness and not necessary wishing for money.

Of course. The posters who think it's all about money may base their thinking on the Thais they know that work in Pink Pussy A Go Go.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

the only thing I see that diferws from Thais and Americans, are BOOKS

They love books with cartoons and photos in them.

Encourage reading

As well as THINKING, PROBLEM SOLVING, and using COMMON SENSE.

Do they sell many fireplaces in Thailand? Why there is a book store in every mall? Is there a fireplace store in every mall? Try a little thinking, problem solving and common sense and give me the answer.

They don't sell fireplaces...they make them.

Of course. The posters who think it's all about money may base their thinking on the Thais they know that work in Pink Pussy A Go Go.

Agreed :)

In the morning at the PP a go go the ladies all line up like getting ready to play leap frog and the lead lady takes a large wooden object and whips it through the leap frogged lined up females. Not really like the stuff they do at the Wat but some kind of worship I imagine.

• Like 1

i think they are nuts, but i dont limit it to Thais i can cover all religions with the same disgust.

Ah, yes. People who ascribe to something or someone greater than themselves, I.e. a God, can find humility, sensitivity and respect for others. Atheists, agnostics, the wanderers and self-god ideologues just seem to have to be consistently the first to be hypocritical demonstrating diminished character and a constrained education. Hawking admits to being errant and Einstein had to accept the concept of an eternal creator. Why is it so hard to be nice, sir? What might the Buddha say? Maybe, oh well.

• Like 1

Every Thai I've ever personally known only prays when they want something good to come to them or someone they know. I've known Thais from every walk of life here, and not one of them (I've asked) has ever gone to tambon for any other reason.

I haven't a clue why they call Thailand a Buddhist country, because it is anything but. Their perverse version of Buddhism is exactly that, perverse. Even their monks are attracted to material items (and money), which goes against the very nature of what they are doing in the first place.

That said, you could say the same about a lot of other religions too. It seems everyone is missing the point these days, it's just the Thais are so off base it's disturbing.

Firstly, I don't believe some of the things you say.

Secondly, the other things are not true.

I suggest you spend time as a monk and you'll find out how hard it is and the reasons people do 'tamboon', which isn't even prayer as most know it.

Instead of attacking the Thais religion, try to understand.

i think they are nuts, but i dont limit it to Thais i can cover all religions with the same disgust.

Ah, yes. People who ascribe to something or someone greater than themselves, I.e. a God, can find humility, sensitivity and respect for others. Atheists, agnostics, the wanderers and self-god ideologues just seem to have to be consistently the first to be hypocritical demonstrating diminished character and a constrained education. Hawking admits to being errant and Einstein had to accept the concept of an eternal creator. Why is it so hard to be nice, sir? What might the Buddha say? Maybe, oh well.
Good post.

What I find strange and comical is the way many atheists I've known get so upset and resentful because of something they don't even believe exists.

Good post.

What I find strange and comical is the way many atheists I've known get so upset and resentful because of something they don't even believe exists.

Most people get upset with scams.

Good post.

What is that got to do with what I wrote?

Good post.

Oh you no unnerstan....

My thai wife has admitted to praying for money and she prayed for a foreign husband. We go once a year to give thanks to the 2 Thai saints who founded Mukdahan. We take them roses. I am unsure of what else Thais pray for but many appear very devout at their prayers. I always look for the most beautiful woman at the temple while I thank God for my many blessings.

Good post.

Oh you no unnerstan....

You really don't get it. 7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

Thai Visa is not a kindergarten class for you to make fun of people.

Almost all of your posts are about people instead of posts. You can only make fun of people and lack the wherewithal to discuss a topic or debate an issue.

• Like 1

Good post.

Oh you no unnerstan....

You really don't get it. 7) Respect fellow members by posting in a civil manner: do not launch personal attacks, or be hateful or insulting towards other members, ie No flaming

Almost all of your posts are about people instead of posts. You can only make fun of people and lack the wherewithal to discuss a topic or debate an issue.

Sawasdee khrap.

Oh you no unnerstan....

If you say so.

Can you direct me to the page in the Bible that says 'give me strength' ?

• Like 2

Oh you no unnerstan....

If you say so.

Can you direct me to the page in the Bible that says 'give me strength' ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

^ so you have higher aspirations ?...a modship perhaps ?

Actually I have an equality complex. If I have to obey rules why don't you? We can stop all the rules or add more. I don't care. But if I have to abide by the rules so do you.

Actually I have an equality complex. If I have to obey rules why don't you? We can stop all the rules or add more. I don't care. But if I have to abide by the rules so do you.

Equality complex.....yeah yeah....you are living in the right country for that....

Whatever you say boss.

Whatever you say boss.

All you can do is flame. Make smart A** remarks like a kindergarten child. Come on tell us why Thai visa posting rules don't apply to you?

Equality complex.....yeah yeah....you are living in the right country for that....

I don't believe Thai Visa's servers are in Thailand. So I think all the posters are equal on Thai Visa. You don't agree?