Mobi’s - The New Bar on Lake Mabprachan

Mobis

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check that next door is not tapping into your lines anywhere ?

Yes, that has occurred to me. Not quite sure how to check, but will try to look into it.

I somehow doubt it - for a number of reasons - not least of which, the owners are decent folk and I can't see their staff even bothering.

Also i don't think he is that fussed about a few thousand baht. They happily share the internet with you so as you say nice folk and owners OK. You got lucky with them they don't even play any music.

Some inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.

Please do not respond to Troll posts, please use the report button and let a moderator take of the problem, thank you.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Along the lines of more beer being sold = more fridge door opening & closing; sounds quite plausible but in itself can this cause a 100% hike? Has the last month been notably hotter? Fridges also need good airflow and cooler ambient temperatures particularly around the heat-exchanging coils. Has the cooler been pushed back against a wall or further into a corner?

As mentioned before, it's possible there's a door not sealing right (bottom seals are notorious as you never see them) and something is running twice as much as it has to. I didn't see what type and age of refrigeration you have on my three visits as there was always a certain young lady interfering with my... view. However, there's also the chance that if the refrigerant is low, it's running overtime or, if it's a 'legacy' appliance, the compressor is about to kick off.

Here's a tip, even if you do get the gas checked and coils cleaned, think about positioning a simple desk top fan blowing air in and around the back of the fridge just to move the warm air out faster. Only use the fan during the hottest parts of the day like late afternoon and early evening? use a thermometer to suss that out.

Anyway, I will be back in 13 days so get it sorted!

Thanks for that NL, I had no idea you were such an expert ,and I look forward to your next visit. (Also thanks to CP).

Last night we checked the chest freezer and found that it has been icing up and the seals are a bit rotten. The lid wouldn't close 100% as there was ice in the way. We have now cleared out all the ice that obstructed the lid from closing and are checking on how we can get the sealing strip replaced. It certainly looks as though this may be the culprit, or at least one of the culprits.

The drinks cooler is brand new, so I am assuming that is not the cause, although if it has been positioned too near the wall, may that is also causing a problem.

If anything July, was a little cooler than June.

Edited by Mobi

It may also be worth while taking a daily meter reading.

That would give you advance warning of any high bills, maybe give an insight into any activities - microwave usage, etc - that have caused a daily spike.

May also indicate if the preventative measures are having any effect, rather than waiting, with baited breath, for your next bill!!

I may never get to visit, living close by, but imprisoned by a jealous filipina wife!

Take her with you? Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She would go once, then complain bitterly after we leave and give me an ear full for a month about it somehow being "my favorite bar" that I will go to any chance I can sneak away.

Not worth the grief!

I may never get to visit, living close by, but imprisoned by a jealous filipina wife!

Take her with you? Just an idea.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

She would go once, then complain bitterly after we leave and give me an ear full for a month about it somehow being "my favorite bar" that I will go to any chance I can sneak away.

Not worth the grief!

Sounds like a keeper

• Like 1

Not worth the grief!

What's she paying you to put up with that sort of BS?. Must be a hell of a lot, life's too short and it would take large bags full of $100 bills for someone to treat me like that without finding their arse kicked to the curb pronto.

But not to derail the thread, Mobi the daily musings of your bar are a great read!. Me and the better half (who's happy for me to do whatever I want whenever I want smile.png) often go for a drive out to the lake on a Sunday for a few drinks and something to eat. We'll be calling in for sure soon.

SJ is still lurking beware! I nearly paid an unplanned visit to Mobi's yesterday as I attempted to overtake an erratically driven pickup which had slowed to a near stop near the bar, as I pulled out to pass it veered to the right, I aborted otherwise would have probably taken out your famous sign. The pickup continued erratically and then slowed to a near stop with hazard lights flashing, I manged to pass this time, a glance to the left and a dazed looking SJ at the wheel, this was at 2pm. Black pickup, watch out!

Once again, thanks to all of you who have given advice on the reason for the alarming increase in the electricity bill. We are following up on all the suggestions made.

To those of you who read my weekly blog, there is now a new post, which can be found at:

http://www.mobithailand.com

These days, the blog is pretty much all about my bar, the comings and goings, and Thailand in general, so I'm sure those who haven't seen it will find something of interest there.

We had a quiet-ish Friday and Saturday, but we still made what I consider to be the 'minimum take' to stay in business so it wasn't a disaster.

We are now gearing up for the start of the new EPL season which starts on Saturday, 16th August where we will able to show no less than 3 games, one after the other - a veritable feast of football to get the season - and Mobi's - going...

More details, as we get nearer the date, and I am planning a few 'gimmicks'....

We had a quiet-ish Friday and Saturday, but we still made what I consider to be the 'minimum take' to stay in business so it wasn't a disaster.

We are now gearing up for the start of the new EPL season which starts on Saturday, 16th August where we will able to show no less than 3 games, one after the other - a veritable feast of football to get the season - and Mobi's - going...

Just a suggestion, but would it not be better to evaluate how the business is developing, or otherwise, on a monthly, or even a weekly basis? Evaluating earnings and whetehr or not you will 'stay in business' on a daily basis will end up giving you an ulcer. What's next, doing a stock take by the hour? Just seems a strange way of going about things to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Just a suggestion, but would it not be better to evaluate how the business is developing, or otherwise, on a monthly, or even a weekly basis? Evaluating earnings and whetehr or not you will 'stay in business' on a daily basis will end up giving you an ulcer. What's next, doing a stock take by the hour? Just seems a strange way of going about things to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Of course we evaluate the bar's business over longer periods: weeks, months and so on... I was just commenting on a couple of quite days.

I bet if you were running a bar, for the first few months you would be doing exactly the same.... it is human nature...

But even though we take the long view, it is always gratifying when we make what I consider our minimum take for each day... can't see anything wrong with that.... but that doesn't mean I will commit suicide if we do even less than that...

I think you have somewhat overreacted to a couple of chatty, honest comments on a bar promotion thread.

Mobi’s News

It’s now been confirmed.

To celebrate the start of new English football season, Mobi will be holding an:

EPL Eve Karaoke Night

on Friday 15th August.

So all you budding singers (and listeners) make a note in your diaries.

The karaoke will be western music only, and we will have a unique method of controlling the singing quality….

Watch this thread for further details of the fun and gimmicks…

Mobi’s News

It’s now been confirmed.

EPL Eve Karaoke Night

on Friday 15th August.

The karaoke will be western music only, and we will have a unique method of controlling the singing quality….

Sorry to say that would put me right off, even if you were giving away free beer and sausage rolls. Drunken (or even sober) caterwaulling has never held any attraction for me and when I've been in a pub or bar and it's started I've taken it as a signal to drink up and move on to somewhere else. All the same, good luck.

• Like 1

Mobi’s News

It’s now been confirmed.

EPL Eve Karaoke Night

on Friday 15th August.

Sorry to say that would put me right off, even if you were giving away free beer and sausage rolls. Drunken (or even sober) caterwaulling has never held any attraction for me and when I've been in a pub or bar and it's started I've taken it as a signal to drink up and move on to somewhere else. All the same, good luck.

Yes, thank you for your good wishes and I quite understand your dislike of karaoke - it certainly isn't for everyone.

It so happens that the person who is providing the music is a very good singer and we will try our best to keep the caterwauling to a minimum, but of course it is impossible to prevent it completely.

We cannot please everyone all the time - indeed several of my customers hate sports - but there are many people who love kareoke evenings and it is for them that this function is intended.

i do hope you will drop by on a 'normal' night when impromptu caterwauling is discouraged....

Mobi,

I'm sorry if this has been posted earlier but is it possible to post photos of your staff and of the bar itself please? This may entice others and myself. Thank you.

If you scroll back through this thread you will find plenty of pictures.

There are also many, many on my blog:

http://mobithailand.com/

And on my Bar blog page

http://mobithailand.com/mobis-the-new-bar-on-the-lake/

As and when I take new pics I will post a few on this thread.

Mobis Food News

Following the runaway success of our chicken curries, we are now adding the following meals to Mobis Menu with immediate effect:

Steak Pie & Chips 170 B

(Portion of Baked Beans 20 B extra)

Spaghetti Bolognaise 140 B

So our full Menu of bar snacks and meals is now as follows:

Jumbo Hot Dogs 35 B

Chips 35 B

Chicken Nuggets 50 B

Spring Rolls 80 B

Chicken Curry & Rice 120 B

Steak Pie and Chips 170 B

(Portion of Baked Beans) 20 B

Spaghetti Bolognaise 140 B

Come on by and give our food a try.
  • Like 1

It so happens that the person who is providing the music is a very good singer. Singer John?!?!

He also has some nice places available for rent as well as being a very talented DJ and singer. Not bad kareoke if Singer John is running the show.

Karaoke or not, if the music is too loud, I can't have a conversation with anyone because of hearing impairment from listening to too loud music when I was youunger.. And I can't go out by wife's orders anyway! Have a fun night!

It so happens that the person who is providing the music is a very good singer. Singer John?!?!

He also has some nice places available for rent as well as being a very talented DJ and singer. Not bad kareoke if Singer John is running the show.

I can categorically state that it is not Singha John who will be running the karaoke.

If you want to know more, you will have to come and see.....

Why not offer to pick up people and drive them home for say 400 baht per person, the price of which would include one standard drink and one lady drink ?

Including a lady drink would "get the ball rolling" and certainly result in others being purchased by most.

Or maybe include something off your food menu instead or as well if its say for a couple ?

If someone leaves with one of your ladies a charge for transportation of say 100 baht for could be added for her in addition to any "other" charges for her departure.

I'm sure that many would actually spend more per visit as not everyone will drink and drive and even fewer will do so to bordering on excess (not that I'm advocating that of course)

You may well find your customer numbers swell with those who would otherwise not visit, it also has the benefit of offering a safe place to have a few (?) drinks and if someone has an accident on their way home from your bar, as of course at some point someone will, morally you have the high ground as your offer to not only pick them up but return them home safely was there.

Taxi costs, especially from the "light side" to the lake are exorbitant (the lowest I was quoted was 500 baht one way) and I assume to would be the same to return - I go to the airport for 900 baht including both tolls. So in comparison "exorbitant" for the distance of the journey I feel is justified.

I know that's just was the price is for a taxi, not a moto and its a take it or leave it price but by offering a sub $15 USD/£10 price I think you would get quite a few takers to try your place out. Its then down to your bar to maximise the customer spend - good food, cheap drinks, music, sporting events and of course your friendly staff should easily accomplish this.

Just a suggestion as by offering this option you may well find that you may get quite a few 2 week millionaires coming over for the evening and thereby swelling your coffers as well as providing a road safe way to imbibe for those on the dark side.

Why not offer to pick up people and drive them home for say 400 baht per person, the price of which would include one standard drink and one lady drink ?

Including a lady drink would "get the ball rolling" and certainly result in others being purchased by most.

Or maybe include something off your food menu instead or as well if its say for a couple ?

If someone leaves with one of your ladies a charge for transportation of say 100 baht for could be added for her in addition to any "other" charges for her departure.

I'm sure that many would actually spend more per visit as not everyone will drink and drive and even fewer will do so to bordering on excess (not that I'm advocating that of course)

You may well find your customer numbers swell with those who would otherwise not visit, it also has the benefit of offering a safe place to have a few (?) drinks and if someone has an accident on their way home from your bar, as of course at some point someone will, morally you have the high ground as your offer to not only pick them up but return them home safely was there.

Taxi costs, especially from the "light side" to the lake are exorbitant (the lowest I was quoted was 500 baht one way) and I assume to would be the same to return - I go to the airport for 900 baht including both tolls. So in comparison "exorbitant" for the distance of the journey I feel is justified.

I know that's just was the price is for a taxi, not a moto and its a take it or leave it price but by offering a sub $15 USD/£10 price I think you would get quite a few takers to try your place out. Its then down to your bar to maximise the customer spend - good food, cheap drinks, music, sporting events and of course your friendly staff should easily accomplish this.

Just a suggestion as by offering this option you may well find that you may get quite a few 2 week millionaires coming over for the evening and thereby swelling your coffers as well as providing a road safe way to imbibe for those on the dark side.

That sounds totally daft..................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

That sounds totally daft..................rolleyes.gif

As I said it was just a suggestion, one aimed at trying to be helpful in increasing the bars business as an option.

Maybe your correct, it was a "daft" idea but it was a positive one to increase business and to remove the necessity for anyone that lives more than a few minutes walk (or stagger) away to have to drive home. How many people have a nominated driver or are collected by their sober partner, I would suggest few.

As in a previous post Mobi expressed a feeling of disquiet over helping a drunken guy onto his bike I merely thought this would provide a practical alternative and also one which may increase business.

Down to Mobi though and as the suggestion was for him he can judge the daftness of it.

Edited by Likener1