Common sense approach to selling a motorcycle

vagabond48

This is my 1st time selling a MC. I bought it brand new 1 1/2 years ago.

I was wondering how do you have the prospective customer test the bike?

As a norm, is it acceptable to start the bike and ride it around the customer so they can see and hear it?

What if (s)he asks to drive it as well?

Call me paranoid but i'd feel a bit uncomfortable allowing someone to take it for a test drive without me nor would I feel safe have a stranger test drive it with me in the back.

What does one normally do when selling a used bike?

Edited by vagabond48

For test ride paranoia, best is finding a gated condo or department store parking and taking the passport.

I personally trade in my bikes or sell them back to the dealer. Less hassle.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

For test ride paranoia, best is finding a gated condo or department store parking and taking the passport.

I personally trade in my bikes or sell them back to the dealer. Less hassle.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I could try the dealer. I remember when I bought the bike, they had a Click model that was a couple of years old and the price was only 4K baht less than my new one and it was an older model.

The passport and/or driver's license sounds like a good solution.

Edited by vagabond48

If you sell it to a dealer you will get something like 10 -15 K baht less compared to sell it private if we are talking about a small Thai bike.

When we sold our Fino I didn't even got involved but my wife had spread the word around so a Thai couple bough it for their son.

We meet up with the couple outside the shop where the wife works and the man took it for a spin and that was it but yes you should be a bit careful with the test ride as the "buyer" might ride off in the sunset and not return.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

My friend had a nice litre bike for sale, I think it was a fireplace but a Thai came down on a cb400 and asked to test it.....

He took off and was never seen again, just leaving his CB400 There....

Can't remember what he did with the old cb400, il ask him next time I'm taking to him

• Like 1

So, I have a Kubota coming up for sale. It would be a good idea to get the buyers drivers license or ID card or passport before they go on the test run.

post-63954-0-43815800-1398861986_thumb.j

Oh dear, I think I should give it a clean!

post-63954-0-60801600-1398862114_thumb.j

And maybe some decent pix's!

PS: It does have a ROPS bar and roof. The crew took it off as it was damaging the fruit on the trees in the orchard. I'll put it back on.

Edited by BSJ

So, I have a Kubota coming up for sale. It would be a good idea to get the buyers drivers license or ID card or passport before they go on the test run.

You could always run after them? laugh.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

You could always run after them? laugh.png

I don't run......but I bicycle!

Cash in hand, then they can test it for 20 minutes.

Longer than that and it's bought.

You include a copy of your passport and the green book.

They include a copy of their passport or Thai ID card, and the cash.

Edited by Som wat

Many good suggestions already.

If selling to a Thai you don't know, their driving licence and I.D. card is a must. Best you have a friend there as another set of eyes. If to a foreigner, you holding their passport would be a must.

For larger, more expensive bikes, as well as the above, they should, at the very least, leave their friend with you with that friend holding the cash that you have seen.

You can always give them a test ride with them as a pillion. If it doesn't smell right, don't be shy in walking away. If the bike is in good condition, it will sell and there are always plenty of prospective buyers out there.

• Like 1

no cash -no test drive

if he crashes it on the test drive ,id consider it sold

You would consider it sold but laws do not.

Good point. What if a car runs into the person testing your bike? Sold or not sold?

I am no lawyer but imo a bike is sold if there is a contract for the sale or any other agreement which is accepted by thai law.

• Like 1

no cash -no test drive

Good point. What if a car runs into the person testing your bike? Sold or not sold?

I am no lawyer but imo a bike is sold if there is a contract for the sale or any other agreement which is accepted by thai law.

I believe almost all accidents are preventable when driving or riding defensively. Not saying it couldn't happen in most situations accidents could be avoided. So it's not different in my eyes if he crashed it or someone else crashed into him. I would however draw a quick contract outlining the test ride conditions and holding cash especially for an expensive bike.

Something like they agree to take the bike for a test ride and bring it back in the same condition within given time frame. Any damages no matter who caused them and the bike considered sold.

If they decide to take the bike to a busy area and get run into that their problem.

Sent from my mobile, whatever mobile it is.

^

And you are sure such "test ride contract" is worth the paper its written on?

EDIT:

But i agree somehow, maybe thats the best you can try to do if selling a bike private. But in case of accident it will be most likely be some kind of hassle, contract or not, money with you or not.

Edited by wantan

attachicon.gifP4080003.JPG

Oh dear, I think I should give it a clean!

attachicon.gifP4080005.JPG

And maybe some decent pix's!

PS: It does have a ROPS bar and roof. The crew took it off as it was damaging the fruit on the trees in the orchard. I'll put it back on.

A few racing stripes and a good good loud sound system should make for a quick sale.

no cash -no test drive

good luck getting the cash back through the courts - from what i believe that would take anything up to 7 years

and lawyers fees would exceed the cost of the bike before its over

its ok on a scooter to let someone ride around a carpark ,but i the case of super bikes i would take no chances of some kid

crashing it into a wall because hes never ridden a "real " bike before and leaving me a with a smashed up bike and no money on the table

if he hits another car the BIB will march him to a atm regardless of who owns the bike on paper (ive seen that happen even on rental and borrowed bikes,you <deleted> up in thailand ,you pay,simple as ... )

• Like 1

no cash -no test drive

good luck getting the cash back through the courts - from what i believe that would take anything up to 7 years

and lawyers fees would exceed the cost of the bike before its over

its ok on a scooter to let someone ride around a carpark ,but i the case of super bikes i would take no chances of some kid

crashing it into a wall because hes never ridden a "real " bike before and leaving me a with a smashed up bike and no money on the table

if he hits another car the BIB will march him to a atm regardless of who owns the bike on paper (ive seen that happen even on rental and borrowed bikes,you <deleted> up in thailand ,you pay,simple as ... )

Completely different story on rental bikes. A test ride for buying a bike is for testing the bike BEFORE the sale. If the (thai) buyer claims there was something wrong with the bike (e.g. the brakes didn't work properly) you are in trouble i guess. And police will most likely tell you to give the money back, maybe you get some money for repair. But i am no lawyer, so i may be wrong.

i suppose it depends how much you trust your potential buyer

and of course the value of the bike has to be a factor

could you imagine letting some young thai kid test ride your 1 million baht + bike

with no re-course or deposit ?

one trick i have learned from bike shops is let them test it with almost no gas in the tank

so if they decide to do a runner on your bike it will run out of gas shortly down the road

so you should be able to get the bike back / catch the thief etc .........

thats what they did to me in yamaha big bike on ratchada rd and even the test area was out back and covered in speed bumps so it was unable to go fast

(not the open road )

When I bought my bike I handed over a "down payment" of 50k and my passport with the agreement to buy it if there was an accident.

I will do the same. If the 1st party insurance is finished I would ask full asking price, we can always negotiate later and if the bike goes for a lower price the money changes hands.

• 3 weeks later...

If you sell it to a dealer you will get something like 10 -15 K baht less compared to sell it private if we are talking about a small Thai bike.

When we sold our Fino I didn't even got involved but my wife had spread the word around so a Thai couple bough it for their son.

We meet up with the couple outside the shop where the wife works and the man took it for a spin and that was it but yes you should be a bit careful with the test ride as the "buyer" might ride off in the sunset and not return.

I tried to sell my Yamaha Fino, customised with the extra headlights, to a dealer and he only offered me 17000 Baht for it. It was two years old, 9000 Ks, and cost 54000 Baht new. I will never buy another Yamaha if it loses it's value as fast as this.

I tried to sell my Yamaha Fino, customised with the extra headlights, to a dealer and he only offered me 17000 Baht for it. It was two years old, 9000 Ks, and cost 54000 Baht new. I will never buy another Yamaha if it loses it's value as fast as this.

Still beating that drum?

Yes, and I will keep on beating it if the topic comes up. There are more and more TV members coming on all the time that haven't read something I have posted before and I will repeat something if I think it is relevant. If you have a problem with that, then just move on instead of making sarcastic remarks.

Still beating that drum?

Yes, and I will keep on beating it if the topic comes up. There are more and more TV members coming on all the time that haven't read something I have posted before and I will repeat something if I think it is relevant. If you have a problem with that, then just move on instead of making sarcastic remarks.

possum1931, a dealer made a low offer for your bike, get over it. Usually people sell for the highest offer, not the lowest. Thats what member guzzi850m2 said in the post you are quoting coffee1.gif

I understand what you are saying Wantan, but the way I see it, if I accepted the dealers offer, he would probably sell it for more than double that (though I stand to be corrected in this) the bike still had a years warranty left on it. So what ever price he would sell it for would be all profit.

Maybe I'm wrong and that is the non capitalist side of me coming out.

• Like 1

I've just "sold" my bike but now we face the problem of how do we get to the licence office (30 kms away) to change the paperwork. If i drive my bike there how do i get back. I can't trust him to ride my bike there in case he shoots off without paying. He won't pay until the paperwork is done. Never easy in Thailand.