Honda 2009 Civic 1.8i Vtec which motor oil to use

I never got the manual when I bought the car used.

I checked oil dip stick and it looks like I need to add a bit of oil. I don't need to change the oil for another 6000 km.

Since this is Thailand, before I go to a service station, I just want to know which oil my model uses so I know they are adding the right one.

Fully synthetic: 5w 20 or 5w 30.

Really ?

I just spoke to a guy at work who has the same car. he was told by Honda to use semi synth 10W 40.

Synthetic is usually 5w. It's good. It mixes noooooooooo problem and is beneficial to the engine.

He was told not to use fully synth as it is not good for the engine.

Which as you know is total rolox.

No it is not. some engines need the minerals of raw oil rather than the detergents of full synthetics.

When it comes to vehicle lubricants one should select those recommended by the manufacturer rather than what grandpa thinks is good.

Grandpa has a wealth of knowledge and I learnt a crap load from mine but in some instances it should be ignored.

Edited by Spoonman

Well OP since you don't know which oil is in the engine I would change the oil+filter now. Mixing different oil types can destroy your engine in worst case. Do you have the service history for the car? Before I bought a used Honda City I got the service history from Honda but many Thais choose not to use Aut. dealer in order to save money.

Ask Honda since the experts here on the forum can't agree, he-he.

He was told not to use fully synth as it is not good for the engine.

Which as you know is total rolox.

No it is not. some engines need the minerals of raw oil rather than the detergents of full synthetics.

When it comes to vehicle lubricants one should select those recommended by the manufacturer rather than what grandpa thinks is good.

Grandpa has a wealth of knowledge and I learnt a crap load from mine but in some instances it should be ignored.

Hmmmmmmmm, the OP wants a top up oil and your saying no to synthetic when the manufacturers oil is about 15% synthetic...........coffee1.gif

OH, forgot, grandpa never had the synthetic choice, did they..........rolleyes.gif

I have a 2009 Civic 2.0 and this is the sticker from my last oil change at Honda dealer. 0W20 fully synthetic.

attachicon.gifHonda Oil.jpg

Some information on the advantages:

http://www.fastmotoring.com/index.php/2011/11/honda-sm-0w-20-fully-synthetic-oil-for-fuel-saving/

recommended for light footed drivers - rules me out.

what is Genuine Engine Oil?

It means it is formulated by Honda engineers specifically for Honda cars. That is, Honda Genuine Engine Oil.

• Like 1

Synthetic is the BEST protection for any engine that is not worn out. If worn out stick to mineral. Oils have moved on on and Syn is the BEST protection, nooooooooooooo question. Lubrication has moved on.

Really synthetic is the best protection for any engine.

Wow really REALLY bold statement.

Lets roll this back to that other thread about transmission oils in the pickup..... how far from the mark with your knowledge and recommendation were you in that one Transam.

You should not be in a thread that is about modern cars and oils......... PERIOD.

Really synthetic is the best protection for any engine.

Wow really REALLY bold statement.

Lets roll this back to that other thread about transmission oils in the pickup..... how far from the mark with your knowledge and recommendation were you in that one Transam.

You should not be in a thread that is about modern cars and oils......... PERIOD.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeer, engine. eeeeeeeeeeeeeer transmission.............................Different entities..................Ask me a question instead of bleating...?

I have a 2009 Civic 2.0 and this is the sticker from my last oil change at Honda dealer. 0W20 fully synthetic.

post-566-0-83744800-1399281266_thumb.jpg

http://www.fastmotor...or-fuel-saving/

The lower viscosity oil is used to gain maximum fuel economy.

5 w 30 is used to combat high temperature/ loads. When it's 37c outside, you don't want a lower viscosity oil.

FYI, The Honda genuine engine oil range is all synthetic.

• Like 1

5 w 30 is used to combat high temperature/ loads. When it's 37c outside, you don't want a lower viscosity oil.

The man 'maybe' right ... http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=22978&parentID=22908 ... but this may refer just to Europe

Edited by JAS21

The man 'maybe' right ... http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=22978&parentID=22908 ...

The "man" should think honda engines 5 years ago, not what is on the shelf today.

Strange how Kids today have time to Post like us Retired Folk ,, and then its just to be clever.

funny how it is a public holiday and us kids get to stay at home. Your attempt at being clever is deliciously ironic.

Edited by Spoonman

That is technically inaccurate. The engine has a thermostat for a reason and it is to maintain the engine temperature at a fairly constant range. Whether it is 30 deg or 37 deg it is unlikely the engine/oil temperature will change. Under heavy loading conditions such as fast and heavy acceleration, yes as the time between the cooling system catching up to the change in temperature takes time. But not with slow changes in ambient temperature as it can keep up. My engine temperature gauge shows exactly the same temperature regardless of the outside temperature.

attachicon.gifHonda Oil.jpg

http://www.fastmotoring.com/index.php/2011/11/honda-sm-0w-20-fully-synthetic-oil-for-fuel-saving/

That's the same for the 1.8 according to the honda thailand website. Same as my suzuki swift too. I think there is supposed to be a benefit for fuel consumption.

Posted Yesterday, 19:24

stubuzz, on 05 May 2014 - 17:21, said:snapback.png

That is technically inaccurate. The engine has a thermostat for a reason and it is to maintain the engine temperature at a fairly constant range. Whether it is 30 deg or 37 deg it is unlikely the engine/oil temperature will change. Under heavy loading conditions such as fast and heavy acceleration, yes as the time between the cooling system catching up to the change in temperature takes time. But not with slow changes in ambient temperature as it can keep up. My engine temperature gauge shows exactly the same temperature regardless of the outside temperature.

Petrol Engine Oil

The recommended petrol engine oil, with the exception of Hybrid models, (for Western European driving and weather conditions) is a synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum specification of ACEA A1/B1. The range of Honda Genuine Oil viscosities are 0W-20, 5W40 and 10W40

.http://www.honda.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=22978&parentID=22908

Recommended oil grades and intervals can vary between countries because differences in climate, engine emissions systems, fuel etc. However, Honda Thailand's web site also recommend 0W20 for the previous generation Civic.

see http://www.honda.co.th/owner/periodical/detail

The page is in Thai but easy to guess, select 2007 year and model.

The OP could always get a service done at a decent Honda dealer and ask the service manager about the 0W20 and any other engine oil grades Honda recommend for Thailand.

As long as OP don't know exact which oil type is in the engine now the discussion is pointless.

Many people stop taking their cars to Aut. dealers when the warranty is expired but just uses a small local shop and nobody know which oil type they uses.

If OP can't find out which oil type 100% for sure, it's risky to top up but better change the oil + filter using recommended oil type.

If OP can't find out which oil type 100% for sure, it's risky to top up but better change the oil + filter using recommended oil type.

I agree with that. I'd forgotten he was talking about a top up and not a change.