Former Thai PM Niwatthamrong meets coup leaders amid mass summons

webfact

Former PM Meets Coup Leaders Amid Mass Summons
By Khaosod English

BANGKOK —Former Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongphaisarn has reported to the military junta, after the coup leaders summoned over 100 politicians and activists to their headquarters this morning.

Mr. Niwatthamrong, who was ousted in a military coup just yesterday, arrived at the Army Club in Thavet district at around 9:35 a.m. It is reported that former Labour Minister and chairman of the now-dissolved Centre for Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO), Chalerm Yoobamrung, accompanied Mr. Niwatthamrong to meet with the armed forces.

The meeting was convened by the military’s National Peace and Order Maintaining Council (NPOMC), which took power in a televised address yesterday evening.

More than 100 prominent politicians and activists have been instructed to meet with the military, including former PM Yingluck Shinawatra and her sister Yaowapa Wongsawat. Both are siblings of the influential former PM, Thaksin Shinwatra, who was similarly ousted in a 2006 military coup.

It is not immediately clear whether Ms. Yingluck and Ms. Yaowapa will comply with the military’s summons.

Mr. Niwatthamrong’s arrival at the Army Club this morning effectively dispelled rumours—and hopes—among his Redshirt supporters that the ex-PM was planning to announce a "parallel government" to oppose the military takeover.

One version of the rumour alleged that the former Prime Minister was seeking shelter in the US Embassy in Bangkok. US Ambassador to Thailand, Kristie Kenny, personally denied the rumour on her Twitter account last night.

The area surrounding the Army Club in Thavet is being heavily guarded by armed troops and sealed off from the traffic.

Reporters are not allowed to enter the Army Club.

Meanwhile, sources from the former ruling Pheu Thai Party claim that the whereabouts of its spokesperson, Prompong Nopparit, is currently unknown. Mr. Prompong is thought to have been detained by the military shortly after the coup was announced.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400818575&section=11

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-23

• Like 2

Ousted Thai PM reports to junta: military source

BANGKOK, May 23, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand's deposed prime minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan reported to the kingdom's new military junta on Friday after he was summoned in the wake of a coup, an army official said.

Niwattumrong was one of 38 prominent figures who showed up but there was no sign of former premier Yingluck Shinawatra, who was ousted by the courts earlier this month and also summoned, according to the official who did not want to be named.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-05-23

Yingluck obviously is out of the country.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Things TO BUY in Dubai ?

If she's gone LoS will look even more stupid than usual as they keep misplacing wanted PMs.

• Like 1

Time to stop speculating - the General knows what he is doing. The signs are that he wants civilian rule (Heads of departments to act in Ministerial role until ??)What's not broken he is leaving alone - courts, EC ..... is making the situation workable so that the only part of the government that is not broken can work - Senate.

Sit back and enjoy the show

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, she is in Thailand.

Obviously. coffee1.gif

Well i was mistsken. Fair play she didnt run.

Fab are you not on the list?

Maybe The Good General and his Committee are going to collect all these people and ask them to solve the situation.

Maybe as simple as putting them all together in the conference room and they can let him know when they have a unanimous

solution.

• Like 2

Maybe The Good General and his Committee are going to collect all these people and ask them to solve the situation.

Maybe as simple as putting them all together in the conference room and they can let him know when they have a unanimous

solution.

No food or water until they are well on the way top a solution.

Or better still Oops I was going to suggest some thing illegal like water and a board.

No reason not to report afterall they not on arrest warrants like Suthep and many PDRC leaders.

Suthep and many PDRC leaders have no reason to run. They were not urging an armed revolt or dividing the country. Many of them have already reported to the authorities.

Their charges are all trumped up charges in a desperate bid by the PTP to take the spot light off of themselves.

Things TO BUY in Dubai ?

If she's gone LoS will look even more stupid than usual as they keep misplacing wanted PMs.

Hahahahahahaha!cheesy.gif

No reason not to report afterall they not on arrest warrants like Suthep and many PDRC leaders.

Suthep and many PDRC leaders have no reason to run. They were not urging an armed revolt or dividing the country. Many of them have already reported to the authorities.

Their charges are all trumped up charges in a desperate bid by the PTP to take the spot light off of themselves.

Not dividing the country!!!!! . . . what planet are you on? You can enjoy the moment all you like, but whenever elections are held we all know who will be returned to power.

Not dividing the country!!!!! . . . what planet are you on? You can enjoy the moment all you like, but whenever elections are held we all know who will be returned to power.

RT@tulsathit: RT @PatricLand: Gen Prayuth to pay rice farmers within 15-30 days then push political reform before holding an election via @WassanaNanuam

Time to stop speculating - the General knows what he is doing. The signs are that he wants civilian rule (Heads of departments to act in Ministerial role until ??)What's not broken he is leaving alone - courts, EC ..... is making the situation workable so that the only part of the government that is not broken can work - Senate.

Sit back and enjoy the show

No, maybe he knows what he is doing but nobody else does, which can be dangerous. He seemed to have everything he needed with Martial Law, while still avoiding the onus of committing a coup. We don't know what situation arose so suddenly to make the extra step necessary. I don't believe it was mere impatience; a man doesn't become the Commander In Chief of an Army if he can't control his impulses. We nay never find out, but I'm convinced something changed early yesterday. Or maybe I'm overthinking things and he just used the martial law as a way to get his resources in place to run the coup in less than half an hour. Anyway, I don't think anything good is going to come of this.