Thai farmers at risk from being robbed as they receive rice payments

webfact

I suppose it's far too logical to suggest that the funds be direct credited to the recipient's bank accounts.

Perhaps transfer costs and bank commissions deter folks from direct transfers. Bank commission (IMHO theft) can be hefty.

IMHO, banks should waive (or be forced to) any fees for this. Will be much safer for everyone involved.

Slightly off topic but relevant

I'd like to see the Army get involved in loan repayments that Farmers were forced to take out from loan sharks at ridiculous interest rates, perhaps to mediate a more reasonable/realistic interest rate

Even better still, make it a crime and punish these loan sharks, I'm pretty sure they're not legal anyway?

No, they are not.

They haven't been around my way for a few days now, I think they may be in the process of re-assessing their value to the country.

And it begs the question, why have they been allowed to operate for so long? ........ as if none of us know the answer to that one.

The money would have gone full circle had the robbers been the tax payer.

That's a rusty harp you'r playing. Maybe needs more yellow grease or 10w80....

awwwwww sneaky with the 10w80... but I geddit

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

We had a picture a couple of days ago of a very happy farmer holding a wedge of Bt 1,000 bills and that sort of publicity was rightly critised by Bluespunk.

Payments of such amounts are best not made in cash but I suppose many farmers don't have bank accounts.

Most farmers will have an account of some sort with BAAC. That is not the issue. Most farmers will have borrowed money to get buy while awaiting this payment. Now they will have to repay those loans in cash. Then the whole cyle starts again with the farmers having to borrow from BAAC for next season's crop.

The junta should give priority (1) to establishing a workable system whereby farmers are not constantly having to borrow to finance their next crop; and, (2) driving the unofficial lenders out of business.

A 'workable system" for farmers is a civilian elected government issue not a military dictatorship's.

We had a picture a couple of days ago of a very happy farmer holding a wedge of Bt 1,000 bills and that sort of publicity was rightly critised by Bluespunk.

Payments of such amounts are best not made in cash but I suppose many farmers don't have bank accounts.

Even well to do Thais don't use there heads. I've lost count of watching at the bank, as they stuff wads into a paper bag. Not even a family member to accompany them

• Like 1

"He also requested help from public relations officials to warn farmers not to carry a lot of cash with them, as many muggers are looking for an opportunity to steal from farmers who have waited so long to receive their payments."

Might be a good idea not to print names, pictures and amounts received in national newspapers as well.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Most farmers will have an account of some sort with BAAC. That is not the issue. Most farmers will have borrowed money to get buy while awaiting this payment. Now they will have to repay those loans in cash. Then the whole cyle starts again with the farmers having to borrow from BAAC for next season's crop.

The junta should give priority (1) to establishing a workable system whereby farmers are not constantly having to borrow to finance their next crop; and, (2) driving the unofficial lenders out of business.

A 'workable system" for farmers is a civilian elected government issue not a military dictatorship's.

The last elected civilian government ultimately didn't work out too well for the farmers.

• Like 2

Even well to do Thais don't use there heads. I've lost count of watching at the bank, as they stuff wads into a paper bag. Not even a family member to accompany them

Good Point but you have to be in a bank to see this happen whereas to get favourable publicity the fact the farmers are being paid out is all over the media and it's no secret here the money is being paid out.

giggle.gifgiggle.gif

The loan sharks are rubbing their hands in glee waiting for their 150% back payments.

Always been like this from their time beginning.... Find the target and promise them the world,,,,,, wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Many will weep and many will suffer, the question is, will they care for another? giggle.gif

I am not sure, if this article is more helpful for the farmers or for the gangsters. ;-) Maybe some will think about robbing a farmer now.

Some "gangsters" have already thought about robbing farmers, and did a good job of it. For 3 years. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Oh yes, noitom, how is that last "civilian elected government" working out for you ? Any complaints from members of the public, especially the ones who voted for them ? Running the country as smoothly as a Swiss watch ? No conflicts of interest ? whistling.gif

Well, it's sad to see how low the morals of certain people would go. Many farmers have committed suicide to get compensated for their long-awaited payments and yet these low-life scumbags see it as a perfect opportunity to steal from them.

But a civilian government that pays its bills on-time, and doesn't finance short-term spending with medium-term borrowing, thus shifting increased-repayments onto future-governments, or (in the case of 50-year zero-coupon loans) future-generations.

Peronism (or Thaksinomics) doesn't work, in the long-run, as the bills always eventually fall-due. wink.png