how to get around town?

vento

Hi, im considering moving to pattya in a house somewhat not to close from all the crazy stuff

I have car but was wondering, is it even possible to get a taxi (reasonable) price if i was to from/to WS/beach road area or that area from time to time, if one was to experience all the crazy people a friday night? :)

Im aware of the taxis hanging out close to beach road and 2. road and charge a lot to just get around the corner, etc etc. not interested in information about that.

So, is it even possible? what do you guys do if you want to go out a friday night somewhere central and need a cab? :)

cheers

What he ^^^ says

Depending where you house is you could end up paying 80+ THB for a motobike taxi and 200+++++ for a Baht Bus or Taxi ride back home, and the further out the more expensive it gets.

And please note that if you live far out, some drivers could refuse to take you back home especially late at night

ok thanks. so the trick is to learn some taxi drivers and get their numbers...

Will prices from i.e. east side to ws be reasonable? im aware im properly not will get bkk prices, just wondering if its 5x the price

East side to for example walking street "could" be reasonable priced but on the way back its anybody's guess.

Be careful, its a jungle out there ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

-- Before even thinking of buying a house near Pattaya, it seems that one would rent a place on the "dark side" to know exactly what they are getting into. If you rented a place out for 6 months, you would know all kinds of details about the benefits and (lack of benefits) of living here which would include questions about transportation, security, payment of water and electricity, banking...the list continues.

• Like 2

For infrequent forays into "town" I used to drive in, park in LK Metropole hotel car park and stay the night. This Friday they have rooms at THB1750. No much and if you are tempted to try a takeaway you are not lumbered with the leftovers in the morning.

You can't drive around Pattaya at night, too slow and busy.

Parking slightly out is an option, Big-CX, Tesco even The Avenue.

But I get a ride in and get dropped off. You can soon find a M/C taxi guy to take you onward.

I normally have a few drinks so won't be driving home..... fortunately the Mrs will sometimes pick me up.

Getting around town itself is a doddle with the M/C taxis and baht buses. Even when I couldn't get a ride I could just get to Sukhumvit and then a M/C up towards the darkside areas.

I wouldn't have it any other way other than driving my own motorbike. Never had a problem in 5 years.

In the long run it "may" be more expensive, but it is super convenient, quick and no hassle.

However, I suppose if you are a drinker this is not an option on party nights.

As has been mentioned, and works everywhere in Thailand (hell SEAsia) once you are there and meet some drivers, they'll sort you out (or -if- responsible a mate when they are too drunk - otherwise you get a drunk cab not so great) especially if they are local...

Otherwise organize a home time and phone number in advance. You'll be sweet.

Don't rely on finding one though.

My experience is completely anecdotal, never lived in pattaya, but its worked for me elsewhere in Thailand.

We have numbers of reliable taxis that can take us into town

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

interesting... How much does it cost?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For infrequent forays into "town" I used to drive in, park in LK Metropole hotel car park and stay the night. This Friday they have rooms at THB1750. No much and if you are tempted to try a takeaway you are not lumbered with the leftovers in the morning.

Much prefer to stay in a better quality of hotel, minimum 4,000, helps me to feel hi-so

I have been known to take a taxi from soi Khao Noi to soi Diamond on occasion (for the fine selection of restaurants there of course). whistling.gif

I normally just use a moto taxi and usually pay 80 baht. If by chance I happen to participate in the consumption of inebriating beverages, I will get a moto taxi from the soi Diamond moto taxi stand to take me back to soi Khao Noi.

Always, always, ALWAYS confirm the price BEFORE agreeing to the deal. I usually get quoted 120 baht for the trip back (regardless if I'm alone or assisting some poor young maiden that has no where to stay the night as she has just arrived in Pattaya and doesn't have any friends or a place to stay yet). (I'm such a good Samaritan in that regards !) w00t.gif

Baht Buses tend to be more expensive of course, but normally I get quoted around 200 baht for the same trip. Handy if it's raining (or you've been tricked into imbibing in a few too many of those aforementioned beverages and are unsure of your ability to stay on a speeding, swerving moto taxi driven by a demon from the pit of racing hell).

If I am sure that I will be sober and able to drive then I'll take the Harley or the scooter, depending on the night/weather/etc. Riding the Harley in the early evening in downtown Pattaya these days is just as bad as being in a car (minus the air-conditioning, fumes, music and so on). I either plan on going later (9+) or take the scooter and go earlier (apparently sidewalks are designed for going around traffic jams) !!

Coming back never seems to be a problem though. Never seems to be as much traffic at 3 am as there is at 3 pm. Odd.

• Like 1

TBH there are so many restaurants, and bars now, I don't have any need to go into Pattaya central, and driving around the dark side finding these hidden bars can be fun.

• Like 1

Lots of metered taxis around- but they do not put on the meter- with a bit of luck the General might sort that out soon.

Have you been to Pattaya recently? There aren't too many crazy people around anymore- maybe in 70's & 80's - it's all retirees and Russian families pushing baby buggies!

The mayor says he want to create a first class family resort! Not quite there yet, but personally think the beer bars will go in a few years?

I am basically a non drinker....maybe 1 a week. I rented a scooter, 2000B a month. The reason I rented, I found that a round trip FROM WHERE I LIVE to WHERE I GO two times a week cost me 2400B a month. Even with fuel and using the scooter almost every day, I got a deal.... 24/7 transport, easy to find a place to park, and I joined the ranks of the insane scooter drivers.

[EDIT] Also no maintenance cost, just fuel.

Edited by edwardflory

TBH there are so many restaurants, and bars now, I don't have any need to go into Pattaya central, and driving around the dark side finding these hidden bars can be fun.

Where are the go-go bars?

The bars are getting pushed back, they will all be on 3rd road soon, well in about 10 years.

I hope not !!!!!!!

The reason being I live near there ;)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Where are the go-go bars?

Where they ought to be. :)

I do that occasionally, as well. But to be brutally honest, and honestly brutal, there really aren't that many.

Pattaya City is right now reorganising the public transportation system

and has announce the fare to be now charged by all motorbike-taxis :

25 Baht for first 2 km , +5 Baht per additional km

For long distances (over 5 km) you must agree for a price before.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/07/02/military-orders-control-of-motorcycle-services-in-pattaya/

Pattaya City is right now reorganising the public transportation system

and has announce the fare to be now charged by all motorbike-taxis :

25 Baht for first 2 km , +5 Baht per additional km

For long distances (over 5 km) you must agree for a price before.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/07/02/military-orders-control-of-motorcycle-services-in-pattaya/

That is cheaper than the quotes I have had for some years.

Who is going to bet that these fare structures do not last?

How they going to enforce that? They are not even licensed

They all have been told to Register at City Hall last month

and to Register at the public transport department for the correct License.

One previous article:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/2014/06/26/ncpo-orders-control-of-transportation-services-in-pattaya/

Google should tell you more. Pattaya City Hall (and the Junta) want things to change ! smile.png