Patong is dead

coconutbar

Maybe the Thai attitude to people on holiday has turned them away, Maybe they have cooked there goose. Over priced and a lot of bad attitudes.

Maybe it is rainy season and Phuket is miserable at this time of year.

actually, its way too sunny and Phuket is miserable right now. need rain!!!

i went through Karon a few nights ago about 11pm, that was really dead, bars closed and everything.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patong is quiet at the moment because, guess what, it's low season and there's been a coup in the country scaring tourists away from all of Thailand.

However, to wander around at sparrows fart in a party town, and wonder where the party goers are, is naive to say the least.

At least it gave the sad sack Phuket bashers a vehicle to throw their usual crap, as they munch on their cheap, stale , sticky rice breakfast in Nakkon Nowhere!

To think as patong as only a party town is a little naive old croc ,

Some people in patong are believe it or not , not full time alcoholics and get up early in the morning to eat cheap thai breakfast then goto the beach .

Edited by coconutbar

At 9am?

Well, most people are in bed with their new friend at that time

This is quite usual, even Jung Ceylon doesn't open until 10.30 (might be 11). Even most holiday makers are in their hotels having breakfast at this time.

Having said all of that it's also pretty quiet in the evening, but it is both Rainy and Low season so shouldn't really be much of a surprise.

SDM

PS, I'll be out in Patong tonight so at least there'll be one chap. I'm bound to be a very "hansum" man. 5555

PS As a thought does the OP mean 9pm (21:00), that would make more sense to start a thread on the subject of being quiet ?!

Edited by SDM0712

Phuket is not real Thailand , only for playboys and gangsters

Dear oh dear. How little you know. Most of my fellow expats never venture to the west coast tourist areas, with it's overpricing and intimidatory practices by a host of businesses. Always best to keep in mind, big difference between visiting as a tourist, and living permanently as an expat. Phuket's got some great areas (and people), with quality service at 'normal prices'. Traffic congestion can be a pain at times (on the main trunk routes), but conversely has a range of services, shopping and leisure facilities and choices of lifestyle unrivalled anywhere else within the total square metreage, in Thailand, as well as good access to internal and international air links.

Not all of us were tourists - some have lived there and moved on - I was forced to and looking back realise it was a cesspit. Its easy to live on a cocoon though pretty much anywhere until a predator arrives!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by timewilltell

Phuket is not real Thailand , only for playboys and gangsters

Dear oh dear. How little you know. Most of my fellow expats never venture to the west coast tourist areas, with it's overpricing and intimidatory practices by a host of businesses. Always best to keep in mind, big difference between visiting as a tourist, and living permanently as an expat. Phuket's got some great areas (and people), with quality service at 'normal prices'. Traffic congestion can be a pain at times (on the main trunk routes), but conversely has a range of services, shopping and leisure facilities and choices of lifestyle unrivalled anywhere else within the total square metreage, in Thailand, as well as good access to internal and international air links.

Not all of us were tourists - some have lived there and moved on - I was forced to and looking back realise it was a cesspit. Its easy to live on a cocoon though pretty much anywhere until a predator arrives!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Yes, you[re right. There are some who live the life of 'perennial' tourists and it's become a way of life, again some of whom who tire of that and move on, and others who don't live in Patong/Surin/Kamala/Karon/Kata etc, and who have enjoy a sociable life without the feeling of living each day as if it was the last. Going back to my original post, the adage of 'up to you' has never been more appropriate.

Patong is quiet at the moment because, guess what, it's low season and there's been a coup in the country scaring tourists away from all of Thailand.

However, to wander around at sparrows fart in a party town, and wonder where the party goers are, is naive to say the least.

At least it gave the sad sack Phuket bashers a vehicle to throw their usual crap, as they munch on their cheap, stale , sticky rice breakfast in Nakkon Nowhere!

To think as patong as only a party town is a little naive old croc ,

Some people in patong are believe it or not , not full time alcoholics and get up early in the morning to eat cheap thai breakfast then goto the beach .

I don't think of Patong as only a party town. When I lived there, I rarely spent time in bars and never went near Bangla in the evenings, and I know I wasn't alone in this lifestyle. However, the vast majority of tourists do come to party and I think it's a reasonable apt description for the place.

I'm a little confused, on one hand you say the place is dead, and then assert there are many non alcoholics in Patong eating an early breakfast and heading for the beach. Which is it?

I don't really have a problem with your OP, my distain was mostly directed at the idiots who thought your thread title gave then open slather to once again throw their puerile rubbish at the whole Province,

It used to be nice (1990) but it turned into a stinky, crime ridden, polluted dump, full of disrespectful, racist, overcharging violent, scammers.
And that was 10 years ago on my last and final visit to the island of hate.

With the (temporary) crackdown the crime rate is expected to go thru the roof.

Edited by ZigZagMan

It used to be nice (1990) but it turned into a stinky, crime ridden, polluted dump, full of disrespectful, racist, overcharging violent, scammers.

But good to see you're still following what's happening here.

A temporary attack on their political enemies won't change much. Phuket people still hate the farang.

I'll believe the army is sincere when the go to Samui and clean out the Suthep clan.

A temporary attack on their political enemies won't change much. Phuket people still hate the farang.

I'll believe the army is sincere when the go to Samui and clean out the Suthep clan.

Your opinion, which has nothing to do with my post.

I'm living on Phuket, love it, and have nothing for/against Damui. Why would I even consider going to the Samui forum? Obviously you feel different, and find it necessary to visit the Phuket forum and comment on things happening here, even though you don't care about the place.

I find that very strange behaviour.

I was in Patong the other night and here is what I saw: Sitting at a restaurant around dusk, I saw many people heading back to their rooms from the beach. 90% were Asian (not Thai) I guessed most were Chinese and possibly some Koreans. Hardly any farangs.

Then while walking around, I saw the bars had mostly farangs in them.

I concluded that most Chinese come for the beach, and most farangs come for the drink and nightlife.

The whole town seemed quite crazy with people to me, but then, I live in a quieter part of the island and Patong always seems crazy.

I guess that's why people like to live there, they like some craziness in their life.

Phuket people still hate the farang.

No they don't.

Maybe they just don't like you?

So you think when they smile and are nice, they like you? LOL

Are you one of these people that stop and shake the hand of tailors, tuk tuk drivers and engage street scammers?

Phuket people still hate the farang.

No they don't.

Maybe they just don't like you?

So you think when they smile and are nice, they like you? LOL

Are you one of these people that stop and shake the hand of tailors, tuk tuk drivers and engage street scammers?

No, Phuket has been my home since 1985. Consequently, I know many Phuket natives and I've known them for years.

And what are your qualifications for claiming that Phuket people hate farangs?

Maybe you should go visit other places in Phuket other than Patong.

Edited by KarenBravo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

LOL...you failed

This character has a large amount of posts in the "Ask a Lawyer" forum. He has apparently been ripped off with property and is quite bitter about Thai people. Hardly an unbiased viewpoint.

Also, as a red shirt, he is very much against the Coup and has a perception that it is targeting one side of politics only.

Not a happy camper from Pattaya, I wouldn't worry too much about his rants.

jungceylon is packed everyday..

Free Aircon!

tourists think they are getting a true experience of the thai life style

what's wrong with shopping?

You experience Thai culture when you step outside the airport and meet your driver.

Same true of Lower Suk in BKK. Never seen it so light on falang (last Wednesday) . Fill yer boots time if that is you inclination - you will be a very very hansum man at the mo and lots of BOGOF offers I would guess.

50% seasonal factor, 50% politics and economics.

{my own shopping was for pharma not 'company'thumbsup.gif }

True there are less tourists around than normally this time of the year. In the low season, Khao Lak has almost exclusively people staying in big hotels who came on sometimes unbelievably cheap package tours. My personal yardstick gouging their numbers is driving down main street on a very rainy day, when it has briefly stopped raining. They are all coming out of the hotels then, carrying hotel umbrellas. Seeing unusually few of them now.

The opening post is about Patong at 9 AM. What is often overlooked - for us Farangs it is a party town indeed, you sleep till late, but what about all these Asian couples and families? You would expect quite a few of them to be out on the streets fairly early.

The opening post is about Patong at 9 AM. What is often overlooked - for us Farangs it is a party town indeed, you sleep till late, but what about all these Asian couples and families? You would expect quite a few of them to be out on the streets fairly early.

No, they are all out on their prebooked tours. You see them on the street again around 17.00 hours or so, after their daytours.

No, they are all out on their prebooked tours. You see them on the street again around 17.00 hours or so, after their daytours.
The OP was only looking for farang in his early morning census.

Presumably counting white faces.

Patong seems to have its own "life" as regards tourism at the moment and as "stevenl" says above, there are tourists (the majority Asian) as a part of package tours, and when these have finished, or when it is their day off, they crowd into Big C buying truckloads of noodles and dried sauces, and are very rude into the bargain.

Then every so often a plane load of Aussies or Brits arrives to inject some life into the place, however in the main it is very quiet.

As for the friends I know who own bars here, a completely different story because they are really not making it work. That also applies to 3 restaurateurs I know, and it is evident of a night-time if one visits Bangla Road, because although there are a few farangs around, many of the bars are devoid of customers.

One bar owner I know who really doesn't get many customers at all was saying that even though business was very poor "he was still earning enough to pay the bills". A quick mental calculation was enough to tell me that give or take a few thousand baht, he may well be just breaking even on paying the rent, however the "key money" of many millions of baht paid upfront was certainly not brought into the equation and the hopes of recouping some of that from profit or resale are just about zilch.

Also many places for sale in Nanai Road, five of which are restaurants. IMO businesses here will be doing it tough for some time to come, and although I can't tell the future, I have serious doubts as to whether the next "high season" will compensate and be as good as other "high seasons".

I'm happy that I sold up my first airport hotel (by the main airport road) some years ago and relocated a few minutes back into the rubber trees. That move substantially reduced my running costs.

The guy who now owns that first hotel is paying $8,000+ per month in running costs ($3,000 land rent, 2 foreign managers (1 day, 1 night) @ $2,000 each, miscellaneous bills etc).

My relocation reduced my monthly bills below $1,000 ($300 land rent, family staff low salaries etc).

So in these 'quiet' times, our relatively low occupancy rate of about 40% still allows us to survive. My hotels are also our family home, so that also keeps costs down.

I feel for those businesses on 3 year leases with key money payments etc. In these hard times, I am sure many decent businesses will go under.