No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

Thirty five pages later and I'm pretty sure we're right back where we started.

• No more back to back tourist visas.
  • No one knows what back to back means.
  • No one knows how long between visas is an acceptable break.
  • Elite, ED, Marriage and "I have a Thai kid" visas are the way to go - at least until they change.
  • Lots of conjecture, not a lot of facts, and it will be August 12th before we really figure anything out.

Does that about sum it up?

• Like 2

• Elite, ED, Marriage and "I have a Thai kid" visas are the way to go - at least until they change.
  • Lots of conjecture, not a lot of facts, and it will be August 12th before we really figure anything out.

Yes.

hi my situation, if anyone can help, is last year i did use the 3 month extension visa 3 times using the border crossing at lao. Ive been back in Oz for the last 7 months and just flew in on a normal 30 day visa. It runs out next week and im planning to go to vientiane to get a 3 month extension visa which i dont think will be a problem (fingers crossed) but do i have to fly back in from laos or can i cross by land (my preference). I know it says in the article that there is leniency until the 12th of August only for those flying in. But as i see it this will be my first extension visa in 8 months. So does that matter, or is it mandatory i fly into the country???? please help, i have no intensions of working.. ironically i am here waiting for my thai boyfriends visa to be approved for Oz. Thanks in advance :)

no you forgot: how long between entries on doubles and triples.

• Like 1

Dang... I knew I was forgetting something.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As far as I know, there are no re-entry permits for tourist visas, only Non-Imm visas.

Could well be right KB, on reflection I've not heard anyone applying for one.

However it would be a waste of 60 days if the plan was to visit a neighboring country during the valid period.

Edited by chrisinth

I don't think that is a problem. At the Malay border and at Ranong, they are allowing people on Non-Imm multi entry visas to leave and return on the same day. I don't think a multi entry tourist visa will be any different as you are not getting a new visa, just utilizing the one you have already.

I don't think that is a problem. At the Malay border and at Ranong, they are allowing people on Non-Imm multi entry visas to leave and return on the same day. I don't think a multi entry tourist visa will be any different as you are not getting a new visa, just utilizing the one you have already.

go on! Try it then!

Intersting that they have also increased to penalties for overstayers........I would be willing to bet that a lot of those who depended on visa runs will now choose to overstay. At least until they can move their family and belongings out of the country.

I wouldn't rely on Ed visas either......they are a glaring loophole and I'm sure it will only be a matter of weeks before we hear a dictum on those.

Edited by wilcopops

It is still all very unclear.

What about this situation?

University graduate leaves the country after 3 years of ED extension (prior to that a lot of "in/out" backpacker visas with gaps in between ranging from weeks to months) to get a tourist visa while making the transition from student to the workplace. Technically not a tourist because looking for work, but can't get any other visa until work is found. Would this be regarded as suspicious by the officials?

I doubt it. The official Thai LA consulate websites specifically advises people who intend to look for work in Thailand to apply for a tourist visa and not a non-imm visa. Once employment has been secured, the visa category can be changed at immigration inside Thailand. Maybe just carry your degree with you in an immigration file when doing hops.

go on! Try it then!

Intersting that they have also increased to penalties for overstayers........I would be willing to bet that a lot of those who depended on visa runs will now choose to overstay. At least until they can move their family and belongings out of the country.

I wouldn't rely on Ed visas either......they are a glaring loophole and I'm sure it will only be a matter of weeks before we hear a dictum on those.

Sorry. Can't. I have a multi Non-Imm O.

No doubt in a few days someone will post.

I agree that this is going to encourage overstay. Being caught always happens to other people, right?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As far as I know, there are no re-entry permits for tourist visas, only Non-Imm visas.

OK, apparently there is. This is from one of the first sites I looked up: http://tielandtothailand.com/requirements-for-thai-tourist-visas/

Re-Entry Permit Requirements for Thai Tourist Visas

A re-entry permit allows you to leave Thailand for a brief period to travel to another country and then re-enter Thailand on the same visa. You neither forfeit the days remaining on your original single entry tourist visa nor do you have to pay for a new 60 day tourist visa. However, you must apply for a re-entry permit at a Thai Immigration Office before you leave the country, so plan your traveling schedule accordingly!

You will need:
•Passport with a valid Thai tourist visa
•Copies of the photo page, current visa page, and immigration card, and extension stamp page (if applicable)
•Re-Entry Permit application (form TM.8) (Be sure to print it double-sided)
•One 2?x2? passport photo
•1000 baht ($30 USD) for single re-entry; 3800 baht ($120 US) for multiple re-entry

Make sure you show the immigration officers at the airport that you have a re-entry stamp both when you depart from and arrive to Thailand. Also be aware that if you decide to leave Thailand without first securing a re-entry permit, you will subsequently end your visa. You’ll then have to go through the entire process of getting a new one unless you have additional entries left to use.

NOTE: A re-entry permit is applicable for any visa type tourist, business, dependent, or retirement visa. A multiple entry re-entry permit is better suited for those who have a yearlong visa.

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

It's your only choice, but, hey, if you have a lot of money................

From the Thailand Elite Card site:

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA
To ease your travels to and from Thailand.
Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.
Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.
*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.
So after you've paid for your card, the visa is still subject to Immigration approval. Wonder if there is a refund policy? 555

Yeah, really. 'Sort of amazing that in light of and despite what's going on, so many blithely assume the PE Visa and Retirement Visa are bulletproof...

I really, REALLY need for them to leave those alone until after the end of the year. I've already paid for my school and sent in all of my paperwork to move over and start classes in January. Maybe I can hope for a grandfather clause or something? (That was a joke, I know better.)

My only other option would be the Elite, and while I probably have the means to do it, I'd rather not commit to five years in the current chaotic climate. Plus, I actually want to learn the language and I might as well use the visa intended for that if I can.

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA
Perhaps the most important and attractive benefits attached to THAILAND ELITE Membership are enhanced immigration and visa privileges. Membership confers the right to stay in Thailand with a Privilege Entry Visa as well as extendable 1 year stays without the usual need to leave the country.
Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.
*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.
So after you've paid for your card, the visa is still subject to Immigration approval. Wonder if there is a refund policy? 555

Yeah, really. 'Sort of amazing that in light of and despite what's going on, so many blithely assume the PE Visa and Retirement Visa are bulletproof...

In light of what's going on they are. The right visa for the right purpose is the whole message. biggrin.png If you are retired get a retirement extension. wai2.gif

Could well be right KB, on reflection I've not heard anyone applying for one.

However it would be a waste of 60 days if the plan was to visit a neighboring country during the valid period.

Re-entry permit for tourist visa do exist, simply apply for at immigration.

Hi.

Advice please.

I am in Thailand at present and going to Laos for 3/4 weeks.

Thing is my visa runs out and will have to get new visa from Laos.

I already have one multiple entry visa which will expire soon.

So will that b classed as back to back.

Thanks for afvice .

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA

In light of what's going on they are. The right visa for the right purpose is the whole message. biggrin.png If you are retired get a retirement extension. wai2.gif

you cant if youre under 50

Too many posters intent on making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

Too many posters asking questions that nobody can answer.

Too many posters saying that the sky will fall on Thailand if these measures are implemented.

Too many posters with a lack of perspective.

Very easy. If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than thirty days, get the correct visa.

If you intend on staying in Thailand for more than ninety days, get the correct long-term visa.

here comes the genius

mr easy i want to stay as tourist in thailand for 1 year because i have lot of money to do that

whats my visa?

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

PRIVILEGE ENTRY VISA

*This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureaus approval.

Why wouldn't they be? Nothing has changed regarding visas of any category. The authorities are just enforcing the rules attached to the different visa categories; nothing untoward at that.

DUNNO??????

Seems like a very rational response to me for a country desiring to increase tourist numbers......not!!!!

Points relating to ESL teachers becoming extinct ' and Condo {and motosi and car} prices crashing are also well made . Seems that the lunatics are still in charge of the asylum. Ho Hum Same same same .

Don't laugh but................has anyone been to immigration to ask any of these questions?

I am trying to find the appropriate place for my question about an ED visa:

I am wishing to apply for an ED visa, ( for legitimate interest in studying the language)
However, I have the need to exit Thailand briefly, maybe two or three times within the study year. The school is satisfied that I will not only making up for missing class hours, but also keeping up online. I am already of retirement age (65) but still active with some outside work activities. Does anyone know if there is any in/out flexibility in the ED Visa?
Thanks in advance

What about my condo ? It's up for sale at 1.8 million. I was expecting to get my return of investment back. After all, I have invested money in this country but I'm still a tourist.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why would you buy a condo on a tourist visa? Perhaps you saved so much money on hotel bills it was worth it. Where is your condo? Are you selling?

Never invest money in Thailand that you are not willing and able to walkaway from.

What about my condo ? It's up for sale at 1.8 million. I was expecting to get my return of investment back. After all, I have invested money in this country but I'm still a tourist.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why would you buy a condo on a tourist visa? Perhaps you saved so much money on hotel bills it was worth it. Where is your condo? Are you selling?

Never invest money in Thailand that you are not willing and able to walkaway from.

How original.......

• Like 1

I am wishing to apply for an ED visa, ( for legitimate interest in studying the language)

However, I have the need to exit Thailand briefly, maybe two or three times within the study year. The school is satisfied that I will not only making up for missing class hours, but also keeping up online. I am already of retirement age (65) but still active with some outside work activities. Does anyone know if there is any in/out flexibility in the ED Visa?

Thanks in advance

It's a non-immigrant visa so like all others, I would expect you could get a multiple re entry permit to go with it allowing for hops during the visa validity period.

Thanks in advance

Just get a mulitple re-enty permit (3,800 baht I think).

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

It doesn t seem clear to me.

Immediately ?

Those guys had their visas issued at penang, so they had definitely spend a couple of nights in malaysia, than return with their LEGITIMATE tourist visa.

2 days is not immediately.

What immediately suppose to mean here ?

Can't they give us a specific time ?

Seems very clear to me that in that situation the return is indeed "immediate" - simply because the Applicant was obliged to wait 2 days (or whatever time it takes for the Embassy or Consulate to process the application) in order to collect the Visa ............ and "immediately" he had done so he returned to Thailand.

Patrick

<snip>

If you are that wealthy as you say (already have 3 condos and thinking of buying another one) why don't you spend the 500K to get the Thailand Elite Easy Access Card ? Or is that too expensive ?

Yeah because Thaksin's Elite Card system worked so well didn't it!

I almost bought one of those, but fortunately I didn't, but my comment was directed towards the Guy who has the money to buy 3-4 condo's but is complaining that he can't get a Visa and for him a good solution is the NEW Thailand Elite Easy Access Card. Just do a search on the Forum.

Or an investment visa - although that is a fait wack these days - 10m I think.

• Like 1