How do you like being called "farang"

expat888

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

• Like 2

I don't think it's used as an insult on the whole. But I do refer to them as natives, which is factually correct. I do often feel as if it's them and us, which why it's a shame that as a group we don't get on better and try to help eachother more.

S

I think the OP would rather be addressed as Bwana. How dare the natives point at him, when they should be bowing down .

Indeed Saeb, and what about the Chawalla and punkawalla.

S

Edited by SDM0712

I think the OP would rather be addressed as Bwana. How dare the natives point at him, when they should be bowing down .

Indeed, and what about the Chawalla and punkawalla.

S

All options that he may wish to consider.

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

I got used to it, and usually are kids the one shouthing "farang". These are my usual reactions:

1) Smile at them. If they are with an adult bow my head a bit at him and continue (this is the most usual).

2) Look around as if I was looking for something while saying "farang nai?" (where is a farang?)

3 Point back at them and say "Thai!, Thai!"

4) Reply "Phum mai farang. Con Lao kap" (I am not a farang, I am from Laos)

• Like 1

I sometimes say 'Thai, Thai' to kids but I don''t really care. What do you want them to say? Hello person of Caucasian origins? That is in fact what they are saying, Thais aren't like us, you may have noticed, they don't hesitate to make remarks about my wife's appearance (she doesn't wear make up, they ask her why.. she tells them because I don't like it. Total strangers). I used to object to them saying 'You, you' but it's just their way of saying 'Khun'.

• Like 2

It is not an insult to be called a farang after all it's all they know bless em,as for the darker sided people i often hear the words chocolate man uttered from the thais sweet mouths.

Ignore them as i do being the motto of the day on a daily basis lol,giggle.gif

it doesn't necessarily have to be negative and until you learn the language properly you'll never really know, and just like anyone anywhere who's trying to wind you up/pick on you (if that's what you think they're doing) the best form of attack/defence is to completely ignore them.

They probably would not like us to call them slopes, either. Provided they would know what it means, which they probably won't .

On the other hand: the word "Farang' is not -necessarily- meant as an insult. My wife uses it all the time, simply meaning : europeans. Laotians, Fillipino's, Malay etc. are NOT farang, although they , ofcourse are foreign and therefore are people of a lower race.

Do remember: at the end of the day it is all about Thainess, a quality no foreigner could ever hope to achieve.

I understand what you are saying but after years of listening to this, I have come to a different conclusion. It's not meant to be nice.

IMO, Thais are xenophobic and this term just labels others to make Thais more comfortable.

Us against them mentality.

another "English" teacher with visa or overstay problem by any chance ?

Nope. Non-O.

It makes an "us versus them" feeling for me. Maybe two ways to think of it:

(1) Just mentally translate "farang" as meaning "man who is rich, handsome, tall, intelligent, with large penis"

or

(2) Just keep it as a reminder that we're considered outsiders by those who call us "farang", it ain't an immigration country so just make sure you're getting what you want out of it.

As I have mentioned on other occasions, my wife of twelve years still calls me Ah Farang Ja ( hence my moniker) but now, at last, thanks to you squarethecircle, I know what she means!!!thumbsup.gif thank you!!!clap2.gif

Bye the way op, take a chill pill, at least someone is noticing youwink.png

I would prefer not to be noticed.

• Like 1

I got used to it, and usually are kids the one shouthing "farang". These are my usual reactions:

1) Smile at them. If they are with an adult bow my head a bit at him and continue (this is the most usual).

2) Look around as if I was looking for something while saying "farang nai?" (where is a farang?)

3 Point back at them and say "Thai!, Thai!"

4) Reply "Phum mai farang. Con Lao kap" (I am not a farang, I am from Laos)

Good one.

I sometimes say 'Thai, Thai' to kids but I don''t really care. What do you want them to say? Hello person of Caucasian origins? That is in fact what they are saying, Thais aren't like us, you may have noticed, they don't hesitate to make remarks about my wife's appearance (she doesn't wear make up, they ask her why.. she tells them because I don't like it. Total strangers). I used to object to them saying 'You, you' but it's just their way of saying 'Khun'.

The typical staring is ok with no proclamation.

Actually all it means is the same as the falung fruit which is white inside and has a slightly coarse texture just like Western skin as opposed to white Asian skin which is silky smooth. It's not an insult just a pure observation.

The term farang actually goes back in Asia to the middle east describing the first Europeans they come across, the Franks.

Do I like being called farang? I like it slightly more than being labelled a barang. I don;t care though really. Only time it is slightly annoying is when you come across an <deleted> who is over using the word. It is usually some ignorant hillbilly, so really there is no reason to feel offended.

The term farang actually goes back in Asia to the middle east describing the first Europeans they come across, the Franks.

Do I like being called farang? I like it slightly more than being labelled a barang. I don;t care though really. Only time it is slightly annoying is when you come across an <deleted> who is over using the word. It is usually some ignorant hillbilly, so really there is no reason to feel offended.

Point taken.