Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

is it just me or do others detect a "trend" here?

Yes.

"Come here, stay in expensive hotels, empty your pockets as quickly as possible without moving around too much then go home and stop bothering us."

Laws are passed by the parliament. Regardless whether a law enforcement officer fully understands the purpose of a particular section of a law and is able to explain it to me in a language I can understand, it his his duty to act when he is ordered to enforce the law. Regardless whether I know the details of the law's porpose and agree with it, it is my obligation to respect it.

Anyway, in this particular case the purpose of the mentioned reporting requirements are quite obvious and explanations by high-ranking immigration officers have been posted in several other topics, ie to know the whereabouts of a foreigner and be able to contact him promptly if the need should arise. Let your imagination run wild as to what such needs could possibly be, or start a new topic to compile a list with the help of suggestions of other members.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like out immigration office had a talking to from upstairs and are doing some CYA.

All longstanding regs, frequently ignored. Carrying an ID is a good idea in any case. Everything else pretty much falls out except the bit of visiting another province and reporting yourself to the police there. My guess is that no one will really concern themselves without, and it'll be taken to be covered by your place of lodging.

Same same, just everyone's a bit nervous now.

The thing is, if this is only being enforced in Hua Hin and you already live there and are of course registered at your current address then it won't matter at all if you leave Hua Hin and go to a different province unless they are also enforcing this new rule.

It will only affect people who come to Hua Hin from other provinces until it goes nationwide if it ever does. Even then I suspect it's all work that's done by the hotel. This notice was addressed to people who run hotels and rent out accomodation.

I go on saturday.. Staying in a villa.. Whose responsible for what now ?? 

Me ??  flipkey ?? the rental agent ?? the house owner ?? 

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a TM 28 form if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

If that were the case then you would need to inform immigration before you left your last address, otherwise they would have two different addresses for the same person on their databases.

Multiply that by TAT's figures for travelling tourists, and the odd ex-pat on an away-day, and the whole system crashes out.

As with most of the changes that have been happening, on the initial release of the change there has been a lot of misinformation spread by people panicking/over-reacting to tit-bits of information. At present, if you are staying in HH you should be paying attention.

Certainly no need because of this news to say, right, that's it, Cambodia here I come! Fullstop to that....................tongue.png

In my Old Days ( as a Tourist ) I used to have 2 Rooms going at once ..Did it properly with Passport Copies Etc ..

So in this instance ..Which room do I register ?  ... Or would doing this be illegal ? 

Surely Not .

So would an international driving permit be an acceptable form of valid id? The BIB obviously accept this to identify you for driving in thailand, of which you must carry you home country Drivers license with you international permit, to confirm your identity and that your are licensed to drive. Whilst this may satisfy BiB, for identification purpose does it for immigration?

Secondly what about an APEC card? The card shows your passport number, dob, and visa number, this card is required by immigration to identify you in conjunction with your passport in order to enter thailand under the APEC scheme. So would this card be acceptable as valid ID, to show by BiB,considering it is accepted by immigration say like at Swampy.

Adam

I have to say. There is definitely a trend here.

There's a big change on the cards in Thailand.

This is just paving the way.

Before the end of this year the retirement visa will change.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a TM 28 form if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

If that were the case then you would need to inform immigration before you left your last address, otherwise they would have two different addresses for the same person on their databases.

Multiply that by TAT's figures for travelling tourists, and the odd ex-pat on an away-day, and the whole system crashes out.

As with most of the changes that have been happening, on the initial release of the change there has been a lot of misinformation spread by people panicking/over-reacting to tit-bits of information. At present, if you are staying in HH you should be paying attention.

Certainly no need because of this news to say, right, that's it, Cambodia here I come! Fullstop to that....................tongue.png

This won't affect those such as myself who are living in Hua Hin as I'm already registered with the immigration department.

I entered my passport details into the immigration system myself on behalf of my 'landlord' at the house I rent and I have a 90 day report to do in Septemeber.

It might however affect people who live elsewhere in Thailand outside of Prachuap Khiri Khan who travel to Hua Hin for a few days if their hotel doesn't register them. I doubt it though.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

It sounds like out immigration office had a talking to from upstairs and are doing some CYA.

All longstanding regs, frequently ignored. Carrying an ID is a good idea in any case. Everything else pretty much falls out except the bit of visiting another province and reporting yourself to the police there. My guess is that no one will really concern themselves without, and it'll be taken to be covered by your place of lodging.

The thing is, if this is only being enforced in Hua Hin and you already live there and are of course registered at your current address then it won't matter at all if you leave Hua Hin and go to a different province unless they are also enforcing this new rule.

It will only affect people who come to Hua Hin from other provinces until it goes nationwide if it ever does. Even then I suspect it's all work that's done by the hotel. This notice was addressed to people who run hotels and rent out accomodation.

What a Great Question ? ..I reckon the answer is ...Who Knows ? or all of the above .

Could someone please explain these terms from the OP ?

1- "moving in to a new address" (ThaiVisa words)

2- "change of residence" (Hua Hin document words)

3- "temporary entry permit" (as only aliens with such "permit" must report)

- For me when I travel to see a friend 3 or 4 days, I have a "change of address" but not " a change of residence"

- Are owners of Tourist Visa or non-Imm Visa concerned? (temporary permit?) Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

I'm not so sure on this.

This won't affect those such as myself who are living in Hua Hin as I'm already registered with the immigration department.

I entered my passport details into the immigration system myself on behalf of my 'landlord' at the house I rent and I have a 90 day report to do in Septemeber.

It might however affect people who live elsewhere in Thailand outside of Prachuap Khiri Khan who travel to Hua Hin for a few days if their hotel doesn't register them. I doubt it though.

Can I ask ..What if you decided to Stay at an Alternate address in Hua Hin for 3 Days ? Either Visiting ..Or residing in a Resort ..

For whatever reason ..   extremely confining .

I suspect it would be handled by the agent on behalf of the owner or more likely they're not doing it at all due to laziness. I would clarify this with them when you arrive.

They are meant to submit your details within 24 hours, if they do this then I'm going to be highly surprised if you also need to submit a TM28.

There is no discrimination here. Thais have to carry their ID card at all times too or face a fine. They also have to report travel to other province and change of residence. Don't see why expats should be allowed special rules.

How  much is the fine for Thais?

• Like 2

Dislike Agreeing .... but I reckon you are Spot on . The Drastic changes are Slowly Building , and it appears to be going one way .

Getting more and More difficult . The Visa Run first ..Then the retirement visa , not of benefit for the Kingdom I would have thought .

Things are going to Change .

Personally - if this Hua Hen trial balloon should spread to all of Thailand... I do not believe that the Thailand Immigration Authorities have the computer / Internet / WAN resources to deal with it... the whole thing would implode... I have not read of any advanced technology that Thai Immigration has that could sustain such a magnitude increase in required processing and communication capability.   No such capability is in place at this time or at least there is no evidence of it..

Having an interconnected WAN - wide area network - ability to check for Border Run turn arounds is just now coming on line in Thailand ... But what is required to perform constant checking and registering of a person's location in Thailand just does not seem to be reasonable to expect at this time. 

Ok did I miss something in the reporting documentation.. it says the HOST! must file the form within 24 hours, not the tourist. I am back to the LOS in a few months and will be traveling from Korat to BanChang, to Chaing Mae and Hua Hin,with a few other stops along the way, and when I first read the 24 hour reporting rule I was somewhat put out, but the document clearly say HOSTS responsibility which means not our problem as long as we give them a copy of our passport at the hotel. on the plus side a good excuse not to stay at the in laws house smile.png. carrying an ID is a pain, would be interesting how they handle my US SENTRI card, it's a valid US travel document ( passport). I guess i'll pick up an international license and risk that part.

If you mean the trend of Thai Visa posters producing an ear-splitting whining noise relentlessly, yes ... very noticeable, but hardly new.

bigstock_Boy_31279942-200x300.jpg

You should carry ID.   Pretty much always has been the case.

If you change address you should notify immigrations.  How often do people resident here change their address? If you're forever shifting your place of residence that may be a burden, but maybe people who constantly shift residences require greater checking on by the authorities.

Travel outside your province. If you live in Hua Hin and you go to Chiang Mai for a few days, your hotel or wherever you stay ought to have checked your passport and reported to Immigrations anyway as they have always been supposed to do. If you stay with the extended family for a few days, maybe more problematical, but also a good excuse to not visit that often.

you  need to watch the film "they live" sounds  right up your  obedient street.

This all seems like enforcement of the law as has been in place for some time.  However, am confused on two points.  I have visited the website www.immigration.go.th.  Lots of information  which is great.  But cannot find anything that allows me to register, for instance, my sister who is visiting, who has flown in to Bangkok, gone off to Kanchanaburi for more than 48 hours and then come down to visit us south of Hua Hin.  I am sure I am being blind but if there is anyone here on this forum who can point me to the appropriate link (I have looked on both the English and Thai versions) to make that on line registration of her arriving here would be most grateful.  

Also, the heading on the originating post is report within 24 hours of arrival .  The PKK documentation suggests not necessary if you have put your destination address on your arrival card.  Anyone know what the true situation is for this? for both visitors and expats (ie with retirement visas - it's been a long running issue with local expats here. Some immigration officials in HH say you must report within 24 hours of arrival and others not (not sure how this works on a Saturday or Sunday if that's 24 hours after arrival on a Friday) 

Any thoughts/insights/knowledge appreciated ..... 

HEY - Come on TVF users!!  You are in a foreign country, so please understand that you have to carry an identification document 24/7.  How are the rules for foreigners in your country?

Edited by Xonax

The junta has made it clear they have an agenda to control criminal activity, if you are doing nothing wrong no problem. However if you are up to no good you need to be concerned, so what are all you posters of negative comments afraid of?

No.

But I can be nannied at home. And drink water from the tap, and not have to worry about pollution, and drive on roads where people see pavement markings as more than pretty decorations, etc., etc.

Part of the reason why I come here is because it's more relaxed. It's the Wild Wild East. There are still rules, but as long as you don't get caught up in anything stupid you should be okay for the most part. I can deal with that. I don't even mind that the real Thai language is money.

I put up with the irritants of Thailand because Thailand - so far - has given me something back.

But If they change the formula so much that it is just like any other country, then there's no real reason for me to go there. If it's gonna start being like America, then why don't I just stay IN America? Or go somewhere that doesn't require 24 hours of flying?

And if they're enforcing all these laws because they're xenophobic and don't want me - that's cool, too. I'll miss my Thai friends, but out of the 170+ other countries out there I'm sure I can find one that fits my style and my budget.

I know Venezuela has really nice beaches. And Uruguay has been on my list, too. Both places are much easier to get to - and into - than Thailand.

Nanny state is an expression used by people who don't understand true freedom and democracy. You can understand it and choose to live elsewhere but you if you don't you'll need really understand why you moved.​

A nanny state is exactly what this country is becoming. A place where everyone is treated like they're 5 years old. Don't be mad that people are wising up.

Besides, there is no such thing as 'true freedom and democracy.' People in power abhor freedom because it means that those not in power are free, too. Democracy is also a fallacy because that means that everyone's opinion should be considered - and no-one in power wants that. It's why they're in power.

If Thailand doesn't want me, I'll just find somewhere else to be...I'll always have the memories.

And what about car and motorbike rentals who ask for passport deposit? Is this now illegal?

Not illegal. It just make a major fool and a potential victim of those who does that, check "MH370 stolen passports".

well it is apparently illegal to hand over my passport to any unauthorised person, as it remains the property of my government at all times.

Dislike Agreeing .... but I reckon you are Spot on . The Drastic changes are Slowly Building , and it appears to be going one way .

Getting more and More difficult . The Visa Run first ..Then the retirement visa , not of benefit for the Kingdom I would have thought .

Things are going to Change .

You will get the usual suspects on here.

Get the right visa or go home well some people have tried to get the right visa and been refused and not given a specific reason.

The retirement visa will be next you cannot go to any of our country's and stay in definitely just because you're over 50

Just because you're spending an amount of money doesn't give you right to stay in definitely in the country

I cannot go to california when i'm over 50 and say let me stay and i'll be spending money in your place ok

And this is not having a go at the over 50s

Amazing LOS  been here for 7 years staying in Udon Thani and alternately for a week or so in the village where our farm is located then back here. I guess I better print a bunch of the forms so I can give to the Military rep, no longer the headmaster, of the village, then go to Immigration as soon as I get back to Udon/.  Is that about the sum of this nonsense? Dictatorship is on its way      good by Monarchy. Time for this Farang to get my last exit visa

Yes the trend is that many offices do something to look good to their superiors. Of course, the laws have always been in place.

At least that confirms that unlike some parrot has been claiming, keeping the original passport all the time, it NOT the law.

• Like 1

....and after that they'll start rationing, setting quota's of how many tourists every country can send each year, and only allowing a maximum of one hundred new retirement visa's each year, each going to the highest bidder, I'm certain they will. coffee1.gif

HEY - Come on TVF users!!  You are in a foreign country, so please understand that you have to carry an identification document 24/7.  How are the rules for foreigners in your country?

actually in my country I am not even obliged to carry a driving licence while driving. I am required to be able to prove my identity to a police officer or immigration officer upon request.

As we do not have national ID cards, and a passport or driving licence are not obligatory, then there is no legal requirement to own a photo ID.

We do have computers, though, and they seem to work.

• Like 2

Wikipedia:

Identity card policies by country Countries with compulsory identity cards

According to a 1996 document by Privacy International, around 100 countries had compulsory identity cards.[1] The card must be shown on demand by authorised personnel under specified circumstances. Often alternative proof of identity, such as a driving licence, might be acceptable.[citation needed] Privacy International said that "virtually no common law country has a card".[1]

The term "compulsory" may have different meanings and implications in different countries. Possession of a card may only become compulsory at a certain age. There may be a penalty for not carrying a card or other legally valid identification (a passport, for foreigners); in some cases a person may be detained until identity is proved. This way the police can identify people hiding from police, trying to state false name. In some countries, police need a reason, such as crime suspicion or security risk. In other countries, police can ask for id without saying a reason. Random checks are rare, except in police states.

• Like 1

I think the Junta is going to start clamping down harder on foreigners.  I get the feeling we are not welcome in the new Thailand.

Did you ever go to Burma in the late 80s or 90s?  It wasn't uncommon to have an armed solider follow you EVERYWHERE you went and wait outside of wherever you were, even your hotel. It was creepy.

No doubt the Thai junta has been reading the Burmese playbook. While these rules have been on the books for a while, you can bet your bottom things are going to get much, much worse for foreigners here. No where has military rule ever worked out for the better of the people.

OK lets say you are right, but how long the militaries will stay in power?

Today I told about the new rules to a Thai friend, he answered laughingly no worry in one year maybe little more every thing same same before.