Which cooking oil to use?

KVJ

Cold pressed coconut oil is the healthiest inexpensive oil for cooking in Thailand, but it's smoke point is a bit low at 175C.  Virgin avocado oil is a bit higher so that would be better but it's expensive.  Non virgin olive oil or non virgin avocado oil are probably the best inexpensive for cooking but they are not that healthy for you. Better than seed and vegetable oils though.  Those are supposedly very unhealthy because of high levels of Omega 6. 

Clarified butter, also called ghee, is probably the best most healthy cooking oil with a relatively high smoke point.  No idea how easy or inexpensive that is to find in Thailand.  

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Cold pressed coconut oil is the healthiest inexpensive oil, with a high smoke point, for cooking in Thailand.  Browsing the comments I see lots of people mentioning non-virgin olive oil and non-virgin avocado oil.  Those are processed with chemicals and high temperatures so they are NOT healthy for you.  Same with all the seed and vegetable oils.  Virgin olive oil and Virgin avocado oil are healthy but they have a low smoke point, so not really suitable for cooking.

You can buy cold pressed rapeseed oil, so not all the same.

On 8/10/2014 at 2:45 AM, iancnx said:

Palm oil stay clear of that. For a high temperature oil go for an expensive sunflower oil or at least Soya.

Go to Makro. You can buy bulk Italian everyday olive oil 'Sabroso' in a clear plastic 5 litre bottle for @1000 baht. It will burn at high temp though!

sabroso is Spanish

1 hour ago, NowNow said:

You can buy cold pressed rapeseed oil, so not all the same.

I think it's more commonly called canola oil, at least in North America.  I will have to try find this.

Edited by shdmn

36 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Thx

I usually buy Canola Oil at BigC for about 70 B, so it's obviously not cold pressed.  Can you explain thre differences?

Regular non-virgin non-cold pressed is highly processed with intense heat and solvents.   The heat damages the fatty acids which causes inflammation.  That inflammation is one of the causes of many chronic health conditions like obesity and diabetes.  The solvents (hexane) are used to remove the taste and other stuff to prevent the oil from going bad but supposedly some of those chemicals are left behind after filtering.  The seed oils are especially bad because the ratio of omega6:omega3 is too high.  We easily get enough omega 6 without them and too much is supposedly worse than sugar.  They shouldn't even be allowed to sell this frankenOil anymore.  

There is a lot of good info on youtube if you do a search.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

And I would choose sunflower oil, first.

Processed (non-virgin, non-cold pressed) Canola/rapeseed is the worst but I don't think sunflower is much better.

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

here is a lot of good info on youtube if you do a search.

There is of course a huge variance in the quality of YTube content.

My favorite seems to provide a very even handed analysis of nutritional trials published.

He sells nothing and accepts no sponsorship.  He does make income from monetizing his YTube content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTaAHSFHUU

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, shdmn said:

Processed (non-virgin, non-cold pressed) Canola/rapeseed is the worst but I don't think sunflower is much better.

From what I read/see, most seed oils are the worst, especially heated.   I stick with olive, lower temp cooking.  Debating with myself, to stick with a peanut oil I like, for deep or higher temp, or switch over to palm oil.   

The peanut oil I use, is a 'first press' peanut oil, so not overly processed.  Strangely, when I bought that, I also bought 'cold pressed' peanut oil, smaller amount, 2-3X the cost, and figured it's a fake product.  It has no peanut smell or taste.   

Where the larger, first press bottle, smells and taste of peanuts :cheesy:  Palm gets a thumbs up from some, and a bad rep from others.   Thumbs up usually has some explanation why, the bad reps, seem to just be hearsay repeat, with nothing backing it.

Edited by KhunLA

On 7/14/2024 at 6:22 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Grape seed oil may be really good but that’s $$$

Do you not mean RAPE SEED oil?

GRAPE seed oil is cold pressed from seedless grapes! It's called VINO.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, uhuh said:

Actually, canola oil = rapeseed oil is better than olive oil. And olive oil is not good for frying as mentioned above.  Furthermore, the olive oil you can get in Thailand is very poor quality. 

Canola oil is easily available in Thailand  (BigC, Lotus, Tops).

Coconut oil is very unhealthy. 

Palm oil is basically a slow acting poison.

Why do you say Coconut oil is very unhealthy?

Do you have any reliable source for this info?

Please post a link if you do.

• Agree 1

I feel this is a very complicated subject and the jury is still out.

• One time, coconut oil was poison - but now one of the best.
  • Some say Olive oil is good as a salad dressing or any other dish as long as it is not heated.
  • Some say all seed oils are bad.
  • And to top it all, I saw one website just now that say "Olive oil is healthier than coconut oil. That’s because olive oil is much lower in saturated fats than coconut oil and contains more nutrients".

Some Asian countries have been using coconut products, oil, the kernal, milk etc in their daily diet for centuries without any bad effects. I think, moderation is the key factor on this.

So... who is right?

18 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

There is of course a huge variance in the quality of YTube content. ...  My favorite seems to provide a very even handed analysis of nutritional trials published. ... He sells nothing and accepts no sponsorship.  He does make income from monetizing his YTube content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xTaAHSFHUU

THANKS ... nice channel

For those that prefer Canola Oil ... no worries for y'all 👍

9 hours ago, ravip said:

Why do you say Coconut oil is very unhealthy?

Do you have any reliable source for this info?

Please post a link if you do.

It's high in saturated fat which we used to think was bad.  A bunch of studies have come out saying it's not, so the consensus is shifting.  A lot of the old info is still out there and hasn't been updated. 

Edited by shdmn

22 hours ago, shdmn said:

Cold pressed coconut oil is the healthiest inexpensive oil for cooking in Thailand, but it's smoke point is a bit low at 175C.  Virgin avocado oil is a bit higher so that would be better but it's expensive.  Non virgin olive oil or non virgin avocado oil are probably the best inexpensive for cooking but they are not that healthy for you. Better than seed and vegetable oils though.  Those are supposedly very unhealthy because of high levels of Omega 6. 

Clarified butter, also called ghee, is probably the best most healthy cooking oil with a relatively high smoke point.  No idea how easy or inexpensive that is to find in Thailand.  

No need to find it, it's easy to make your own ghee from butter. 

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a91575/how-to-make-ghee/

14 hours ago, shdmn said:

Butter is also going to be expensive in Thailand though.

Need to buy bulk, 2-3-5 kgs.   At least 2kg, as way cheaper than 250gr sticks, if they're even still 250gr :coffee1:  Make sure you read the label, butter, not a blend.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 6:22 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Coconut or peanut oil for pan frying. Grape seed oil may be really good but that’s $$$

Use olive oil for everything else. Good olive oil isn’t as expensive as you think because you’re not buying things like salad dressings (you are making your own salad dressings with balsamic vinegar and oregano etc, right?). And plus your doctor bill goes down. Think about that one for a while, I mean avoiding one trip to the doctor pays for the oil 10x over.

If you go on lazada there are a few good olive oils. They used to be 5L for like 1000 baht for good Greek oils etc! Now the prices have doubled tripled and even more! But it’s still worth it to me. 

I recently read that it is difficult to get pure olive oil in Europe, so I'm pretty sure that it'd be impossible in Thailand. Also because of the low smoke point, it isn't really suitable for cooking. It goes rancid pretty quickly, possibly in your kitchen but almost certainly on its way to the place where you buy it.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:11 AM, ravip said:

I feel this is a very complicated subject and the jury is still out.

• One time, coconut oil was poison - but now one of the best.
  • Some say Olive oil is good as a salad dressing or any other dish as long as it is not heated.
  • Some say all seed oils are bad.
  • And to top it all, I saw one website just now that say "Olive oil is healthier than coconut oil. That’s because olive oil is much lower in saturated fats than coconut oil and contains more nutrients".

Some Asian countries have been using coconut products, oil, the kernal, milk etc in their daily diet for centuries without any bad effects. I think, moderation is the key factor on this.

So... who is right?

Plenty of information out there for those that look. I know all about those studies 'proving' that saturated fats are harmful, and I know that seed oils manufacturers don't mind. The three major studies were deeply flawed as has lately come to light. The one study that disagreed was actually hidden as it 'gave the wrong result', even though it was a huge, lengthy, expensive trial.

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2020/06/cochrane-saturated-fat-reviews/

https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/saturated-fats-do-they-cause-heart-disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9794145/

On 7/14/2024 at 4:31 PM, FruitPudding said:

Old thread, but what's the latest on healthy cooking oil?

Olive, sesame(unroasted). Grape seed for cooking because of its high flashpoint. Molecules in oil change when cooked and becomes more difficult for the body to assimilate taxing the body over time. The same goes for sugars in fruit and vegetables. 

• Thumbs Up 1