How to reduce the number of falling apart motorbikes in Thailand

cyborgx

I was just responding to another thread when I started to wonder, could we somehow reduce the ridiculous number of bikes on the road held together by glue, tape and a lot of prayers?

Obviously getting Police to make more arrests for traffic or legal paperwork offences would help, but lets face it, so many bikes, they usually let them off with a warning, a very small fine or don't bother stopping them at all (virtually impossible considering the number of them and number of traffic police).

My suggestion - A SMALL NUMBER OF BIG HAULAGE TRUCKS criss-crossing major cities with capacity for perhaps 100's of bikes piled on the back. Daily dumping at massive breaker yards (with lots of crushers thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif ) outside of cities

confiscate bikes for "Sorry officer, I can't pay fine I have no money"

and for jalopies with no lights or other bits falling off/not working/missing!

and for possession of a deadly weapon

and for too many passengers

AND FOR SPEEDING/RACING

and for no licence

and for no insurance

and for no helmet or jumping the lights (ok that's a bit harsh, getting carried away here, but that mad rush before the lights change is always annoying for both pedestrians and car drivers - its like a swarm of very loud mosquitos!)

What a great cleanup it would be!

Would probably have a decent impact on air polution too

reduce number of motorbike gangs as well as make them stand out more

Reduce number of people run down whilst walking on the pavement!

Definitely reduce the number of deaths due to motorbike accidents!

Would also give the 2nd hand bike parts business a whole new life (and hopefully some better parts)

Plus give the Police a whole new revenue stream of unclaimed bikes (due to unpaid fines)!

forgot to say Police could take keys, as well as perhaps add a small disabling device, then leave on side of road for next collection truck coming through.

Or alternatively they could do their usual pre-arranged road blocks but just this time amass a massive haul of bikes at each roadblock for pre-arranged haulage truck to collect.

Or both biggrin.png

maybe we could have a first time motorbike buyer programme and everyone will dump their old ones for new ones wink.png

that would help too, but would require Private sector or government investment in the idea, and no profit for Police there......

maybe we could have a first time motorbike buyer programme and everyone will dump their old ones for new ones wink.png

that would help too, but would require Private sector or government investment in the idea, and no profit for Police there......

sorry I was being sarcastic - in reference to the hundreds of thousands of new cars on the streets of bangkok following the new car scheme a couple years back. Add more - didn't remove any.

sorry I was being sarcastic - in reference to the hundreds of thousands of new cars on the streets of bangkok following the new car scheme a couple years back. Add more - didn't remove any.

Might have helped slightly, but in a lot of cases I'm guessing that the car being exchanged was resold by the dealer.... thus as you say increasing not decreasing the number of cars on the road.

Might have helped slightly, but in a lot of cases I'm guessing that the car being exchanged was resold by the dealer.... thus as you say increasing not decreasing the number of cars on the road.

not that many dealers (new) I know of take trades on older vehicles. Most I imagine were sold privately / given to tents on commission / kept.

One of the reasons I decided to stay in Thailand is the lack of law enforcement here. If I wanted a country where everybody behaves and the ones who don't get a huge punishment, I would go back home.

No, I prefer to see a lot of ppl in a bike and also I want the guys in my village to be able to drive their piles of junk. I also like the fact that they can attach almost anything to a motorbike and keep running.

Nah, if I wanted Thialand to look like the west, I'd rather go to the west.

Second the above.

Every bike you see means less cars and buses clogging roads.

In the space of 1 car at a traffic light you are guaranteed 6 riders and maybe 6 passengers on bikes getting 30+kml instead of 1 scared person getting 15kml.

Sure I would like to see dangerous bikes gone but at least a dangerous bike is hard to kill others with in comparison to a dangerous car or bus.

We are foreigners, not our place to.....

At least imported cars are taxed heavily so that is good.

Edited by ttakata

OP, no idea what you are on about. Don't know where you live but here in Bkk, I hardly see any bikes held together by duct tape.

I don't disagree with clamping down on some of the more extreme traffic offenses such as running red lights or other dangerous activities such as reckless riding / racing but confiscating a bike because the rider was not wearing a helmet? Should your car be confiscated if you are not wearing your seat belt?

• Like 1

The most efficient way to decrease the number of motorbikes in any condition (not to mention the number of riders) is already in place and has been for decades in LOS- it's the continued presence of idiot drivers who have no skills or concern for anyone else on the road.

Yes, riders often take themselves out and they occasionally hit pedestrians, but how many of them actually injure or kill people in cars? Not too many, yet poor drivers pick us off by the thousands every year.

Don't worry, OP- your fellows drivers are removing a huge number of bikes from Thai roads on a daily basis- I don't think any further assistance is needed in that regard.

• Like 2

The most efficient way to decrease the number of motorbikes in any condition (not to mention the number of riders) is already in place and has been for decades in LOS- it's the continued presence of idiot drivers who have no skills or concern for anyone else on the road.

Yes, riders often take themselves out and they occasionally hit pedestrians, but how many of them actually injure or kill people in cars? Not too many, yet poor drivers pick us off by the thousands every year.

Don't worry, OP- your fellows drivers are removing a huge number of bikes from Thai roads on a daily basis- I don't think any further assistance is needed in that regard.

Correct the chances of a bike driver hitting a car and doing serious damage to the owner of the car are real low. The other way around though car drivers going through red and such or being just stupid and killing a biker are far greater.

My only pet hate is bikes and or cars without lights because people are to cheap to buy a new light bulb. I often see cars and bikes without light. Not fun at all especially if lighting is a bit bad. It has improved since i put HID lights on the bike though.

Are you seriously suggesting that it should be ok for the police to steal and destroy people's own property?

All those bikes you talk about are 'mostly' legally owned by someone.

Where did I say steal ?!!! TROLL!

Impounded for the reasons above, and after a suitable amount of time,sold or disposed of.....

I have never figured out why faranges want to solve all of Thailands problems for them. As someone said I came here for the lack of enforcement and as long as I do not hurt someone can do just about what I want.

Duh! I didn't say I want to solve all of Thailand's problems, what I did say is that I'd like to solve one or two because I live here!

There should be more bikes on the road and less cars, there should be a super high tax on cars so it is better to drive bikes. Just think of how much better traffic would flow. I think 6 or more bikes to a car (road space ect). Cars are far worse then bikes.

Though I do hate bikes without lights especially those driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't get it that many of those bike drivers dont have 20 bt to buy a new light bulb.

This is not a Bikes v Cars debate, so please don't turn it into one.

It's about enforcing the laws and getting dangerous and illegal drivers as well as their unfit vehicles off of the streets

Sure I would like to see dangerous bikes gone but at least a dangerous bike is hard to kill others with in comparison to a dangerous car or bus.

We are foreigners, not our place to.....

Agreed badly driven and/or falling apart trucks and buses are also a major problem, but that's another complicated and different discussion involving public transport and commercial needs. By all means make them safer too if you have some serious suggestions on how actually get it improved.

Yes we are foreigners although some are resident and some have got Thai Nationality. Some of us have also lived here a major part of their lives and contributed to the development of the country, so some certainly have the right to complain, and everybody has a right to an opinion....

^

only illegal bikes? what about cars, trucks, busses, lorries etc? they dont bother you? if yes, why?

i suggest you to put your ideas in a letter and post it to the generals for a solution. as here no one can help you anyway.

again, what is the aim of this thread i wonder!

Edited by ll2

OP, no idea what you are on about. Don't know where you live but here in Bkk, I hardly see any bikes held together by duct tape.

I don't disagree with clamping down on some of the more extreme traffic offenses such as running red lights or other dangerous activities such as reckless riding / racing but confiscating a bike because the rider was not wearing a helmet? Should your car be confiscated if you are not wearing your seat belt?

The "duct tape" was a bit of poetic licence, but I certainly would not be surprised if some actually are biggrin.png

I was talking about Thailand in general not just BKK, but if you go down to Klong Toey for example you'll see some good examples of what I'm talking about.

In my OP I did say that some of the list was over the top myself, one or two were listed tongue in cheek whistling.gif

I have great sympathy for Bike rider's safety when surrounded by larger vehicles, and fully understand your dislike of bad drivers in them.

On the other hand, most bike riders in Thaland put themselves in harm's way by weaving in and out of traffic like they own the road too.....

As already stated, this is NOT a cars v Bikes thread, please stay on topic.

At first I thought CyborgX had an over active thyroid gland.....but on second thoughts maybe he is reaching out to fellow posters for some comfort posts from us to make himself feel better.

Sorry, no comfort here!

No laughter here either..... Serious issues require sensible ideas. Don't think discussing my Thyroid gland is either on topic or sensible.

^

only illegal bikes? what about cars, trucks, busses, lorries etc? they dont bother you? if yes, why?

i suggest you to put your ideas in a letter and post it to the generals for a solution. as here no one can help you anyway.

again, what is the aim of this thread i wonder!

As stated above I agree they are also issues, but quite different and requiring very different strategies to solve.

Do you think that government officials don't monitor sites like ThaiVisa? I'm not saying it's going to change anything, or even get seen by anybody with influence, but it took me 5 mins to type.......

Yes I could write the letter suggested above, but right now I just felt like discussing it on a forum.

The aim? Discussion.....

There should be more bikes on the road and less cars, there should be a super high tax on cars so it is better to drive bikes. Just think of how much better traffic would flow. I think 6 or more bikes to a car (road space ect). Cars are far worse then bikes.

Though I do hate bikes without lights especially those driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't get it that many of those bike drivers dont have 20 bt to buy a new light bulb.

There are so many without any functioning lights, I am certain they take them out as superfluous.....and it will save fuel.