Phuket politician challenges national official to name names

webfact

Phuket: Phuket politician challenges national official to name names
The Phuket News

1408959577_1-org.jpg
ML Panadda: ‘I know that some local government organisations squander money as if it is their own money.’

PHUKET: -- The president of the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation (OrBorJor) has challenged a senior national official to reveal details of allegations the official made on his Facebook page on Saturday (August 23).

ML Panadda Diskul, appointed secretary to the Prime Minister’s Office six days after the coup, caused uproar among local officials across the country when he posted, in Thai, “facts that everyone might not know; facts so shocking that some may not be able to believe them.”

He explained, “Some local government organisations did not pass the audit to qualify a prize for good local government organisations … That wasn’t a surprise to me, because I know that some local government organisations squander money as if it is their own money.”

He continued, “I was told that the president of one OrBorJor bought first class tickets, ordered hundred of thousands of baht worth of wine, and demanded that air crew supply them with chillis, chilli paste and fish sauce [which he would have known are not carried in the aircraft].”

Worse, he said, “That person also used a close friend as a nominee to buy a house in Europe.”

He concluded. “Whoever wants to spend their life on these luxuries should do it from the profits of private business. As local politicians, they should not destroy the reputation of Thai local government.”

But ML Pannada did not name names. This, local politicians say, tarnishes all 77 OrBorJor in the country, along with the thousands of municipalities and sub-districts.

Phuket OrBorJor President Paiboon Upatising told The Phuket News this morning, “I think he should say exactly who did this – not blanket all 77 provinces. He is talking about just one person but when he says it like this it makes all of us look bad.”

With a laugh, he added, “But I know it isn’t me because I don’t drink alcohol.”

Others, too, were irritated. The Provincial Administration Organisation Council of Thailand (PAOC) issued a round-robin letter headed, “Following the post by ML Panadda Diskul that might destroy the image of local government organizations,” and urging all local council staff to wear black today in protest.

In Phuket this morning, Provincial Administrative Organization (PPAO) no one was wearing black – apart from Mr Paiboon himself, who often wears a black suit with his pink ties.

“I didn’t urge my staff to wear black for this thing,” Mr Paiboon said, adding, “I think [ML Panadda] is adult enough and a reasonable person. He should apologise or show evidence to prove [his allegations] as soon as possible.”

Then he issued his challenge: “I can't do the ice bucket challenge because of my [medical] condition, but I will donate B100,000 baht to charity if ML Panadda will reveal the name of the person he is accusing.

“In the end, I think an apology should be enough. If he apologises to all of us we are ready to forgive him.”

Click here to see the Facebook page.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-politician-challenges-national-official-to-name-names-48036.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-25

• Like 1

It would be great if he would name names! Anyone that has lived here for very long knows the greed and corruption of many Or Bor Jors here in Thailand and especially here in Phuket! The leasing of Public lands, land titles to National Park land, illegal structures, road repair scams, the list goes on… Does Paiboon Upatising really want him to name names? Or is he the only one in Phuket whose hands are clean? whistling.gif

I happen to know Mr Paiboon Upatising and agree with him that names should be named. However I am sure he is also aware that there are many who are corrupt and it would be much more helpful to out the corrupt than apologise for a comment that condemns them

Edited by slipperx
  • Like 2

Put the entire group under public watch,review, and open discusion. No apology needed nor should one be expected.

For too long the goal of the majority of politicians has been to get into the position that their actions are not questioned nor monitored by anyone other than those with self reward as their goal.

As one individuall suggested, let the corrupt take and exhibit their illegal expertise to the private sector to conduct business. ban them from entering into any business arrangement with government individuals, contracts, bids, etc. and be shunned by all those with honest intent.

Then he issued his challenge: “I can't do the ice bucket challenge because of my [medical] condition, but I will donate B100,000 baht to charity if ML Panadda will reveal the name of the person he is accusing.

thinking: the 100,000 I'll take from the treasury, and then I'll get me a tax refund for myself..., oh brilliant, I just wet myself

• Like 1

Quite simple. If there is enough eidence to warrant indightment, release the name to the news media. Saving face sensitivity is forfeited by criminal action. Saving face sensitivity doesn't seem to affect the criminal justice sysem in S. Korea, Japan, China or Taiwan. If it is a public official ... THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW.

• Like 1

"With a laugh, he added, But I know it isnt me because I dont drink alcohol.

Drinking alcohol is not a prerequisite for largesse at the taxpayers' expense. The one thing about wasting money is that it requires absolutely no experience whatsoever smile.png. <removed>

Edited by LivinginKata
unnecessary inflammatory remark removed

If it weren't for the silly slander and libel laws here, I'm sure he would out them, but thanks to this bs law, the guilty hide behind it by suing those that "tarnished the good name" of the offender.

Agreed. I fail to comprehend why Thai law, on this point, does not conform to the international understanding of slander and libel law. If I call you a thief and you are not a thief, you can sue me for the damage I have caused to your name (Asian=face). If I call you a thief and you are a thief, I have caused you no damage. Your own actions have proven you to be a thief. If the Junta wants to root out corruption, rather than having Thai courts clogged with nuisance law suits, let the provable accusations fly!