Renewing Car Tax at the Post Office ...

kikka

I renewed my car road tax sticker at the Post Office (on Soi Praisanee ) in Pattaya a little over a month ago.

It was an easy process , all I needed was the Blue ( car ) Book , my insurance certificate and the payment. That part worked well , they took my money , issued a receipt for that and the blue book , and told me that they would have to send the book to the tax office who would issue me with my new 'tax disc' and return the book. .

That was now about a month ago and so far I have had nothing back . Is this normal , and if not , does anyone know what I need to do ( apart from going back to the Post Office with my receipts, to ask them) ? What is the procedure if the 'Blue Book has been 'lost' ?

• Like 1

I did the exactly the same as the OP, except for a motorcycle rather than a car. Big mistake! Thought I was saving myself a trip to the Land Transport Office by using the Post Office. Long story, short: never received my road tax sticker, insurance receipt, or Green Book (motorcycle ownership document) back in the mail. After numerous visits to the Post Office and the Land Transport Office, was able to confirm that I was listed as having paid the road tax in the LTO computer system, a road tax sticker was issued, and according to the people at LTO, it was mailed back to me along with my Green Book and insurance receipt. Never received that letter, and the Post Office was unable to help. I suspect it was actually delivered to some address somewhere. Perhaps to some guesthouse where it sits to this day in a pile of mis-delivered mail. Why do I think this? Because at the time I was living in a guesthouse that had a similar stack of mis-delivered mail that simply accumulated and was never re-delivered to the correct address. So, lesson learned: never put anything in the post that you wish to receive back. Getting it back is hit or miss. If it's a miss, you will regret it.

So I paid my road tax, but was left without my Green Book, road tax sticker, or insurance receipt. That is, left with no evidence that I'd paid either my road tax or insurance, nor any evidence that I actually owned my motorcycle. This was resolved by reporting (for free!) my Green Book lost at the local police station. Then, taking the police report to the LTO and requesting a new Green Book be issued. This process may have been aided by the fact that I had made a copy of my Green Book. I paid a nominal fee and was told my replacement Green Book could be picked up in a couple days from the LTO. I did so and included along with the new Green Book was a new road tax sticker. Yah! I was concerned that I didn't have any evidence that my mandatory insurance had been paid (although I guess having a current road tax sticker is indirect evidence because I don't think you can get one without having paid the insurance), so in an abundance of caution I simply purchased the insurance again at the LTO, simply to get the receipt.

Now, I could have simply gone to the LTO in person and paid my road tax. That would have been a single trip, done and dusted. And that is what I plan to do next year. Instead I took the Post Office shortcut that wasn't. I continue to learn from my own mistakes, although of course, it's better to learn from other people's mistakes. tongue.png

• Like 1

kikka, you must be new here.

Golden rule:

House Owner Book

Car Owner Book

Motor Bike Owner Book

Never let them out of your site unless you use a reputable agent.

You can go to the licencing office over on the dark side yourself, hand in the necessary documentation wait an hour coffee1.gif and you are issued with the new licence and get all your paperwork back there and then no hassle job done.

• Like 1

It would be more difficult for me as I do not know where soi Praisanee is.

It wouldn't be another name for soi Post Office would it? biggrin.png

No, soi Post Office is another name for soi Praisanee smile.png

Which is another name for Soi 13/2.

A friend did this on a motorbike just before he went away for a year. He used my address and the bike was stored at my place. I got the disc back just before it was due to be renewed again. About 11 months.

Never used that system again. Better to go to an agent. Sukhumvit Road near Orphanage, or opposite Cholchan Hotel on Sukhumvit a bit out of town. Go early morning collect it same afternoon. Minimal fee on top of regular charges. I prefer 2nd place. Both will also arrange the insurance and test the vehicle if old enough to need it.

Edited by Keesters

Thanks for all the replies ... although overall they suggest I may have made an error in trusting the Post Office. Anything I have posted before has always been delivered , or returned, without a problem ...including documents to and from England . Ah well ...in trying to save myself a visit to the LTO I may well have embroiled myself in a long and time consuming bureaucratic process to get a new blue book and tax disc . Doh !!! sad.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After two visits and one telephone call to the Post Office , and a telephone call to the Tax Office, the blue (car) book and the new tax disc were finally returned to me today .

The Tax Office had received my documents on 26th August and processed them pretty much right away ... so quite where the new disc and my blue book have been since then is beyond me ... ???

Suffice to say that I have them both back now ... but I will definitely take the slightly longer visit to the Road Tax Office, which I had sought to avoid by going via the Post Office, myself next year.

Some stories do have a happy ending :-)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

people seem to try all of these supposed 'easy options' to bypass going to a government office, either by using an agent for visa issues, or like this poster, for getting car tax sticker. It can often be counter productive and I don't get it.  My car tax re issue at the local DLT took me no more than 15 minutes.  My visa extension no more than a max of 30 minutes.  Just do it yourself and the appropriate office, saves heartache in the end, as well as extra cost. 

13 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

sorry to necropost but is there an updated version of this procedure or is it all post offices/big c's on saturdays rather than the human zoo that is DLT?

last time I went to my local DLT, in the mid afternoon, it was very quiet.