Prayut not in a hurry to head abroad

Lite Beer

Prayut not in a hurry to head abroad
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign trips by Thai leaders are important and are widely watched by the international community but Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha says he will not waste the national budget on unnecessary visits abroad.

Thai prime ministers usually head overseas to introduce themselves internationally shortly after taking office, but Prayut is yet to do so.

It is widely expected that Prayut will visit Myanmar first in early October but the date has not been fixed yet.

Many countries in the region, notably Asean members, have extended an invitation for the new prime minister to visit.

Prayut thanked the countries, saying the invitations reflected Thailand's importance.

He was speaking yesterday in his weekly TV programme, "Return Happiness to Thai People", which is broadcast on all stations. He said he was aware that many people wanted to find out when he would head overseas but he was still considering the matter.

Given what was happening in the country, it might not be the right time for international visits, he said. "Therefore, foreign visits must be substantive, of real benefit and worthy of the people's taxes," he said.

Prayut said he was considering attending regional and international meetings such as the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation summit in China and Asean summits in Myanmar, which would give him the opportunity to introduce himself to a host of foreign leaders.

The Foreign Ministry would normally propose schedules for a prime minister's overseas trips. The countries are usually categorised into three groups - neighbouring countries, other Asian countries, and Western countries, including in Europe. Visits to Asean countries are traditionally a priority.

The countries in the pipeline for a Prayut visit are Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, according to a source at the Foreign Ministry.

Prayut has assigned concerned agencies to consult one another other on the timing of the visits, bearing in mind the potential benefit for Thais in yielding tangible results, the source said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayut-not-in-a-hurry-to-head-abroad-30244259.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-27

I saw the part of the televised address last night ( interrupted the Ryder Cup).

He seemed to be making excuses not to go, understandable,even in a suit he is still the leader of a coup holding absolute power. Won't go down well with most governments and then of course the ongoing Koh Tao fiasco a major embarrassment. Add in forced labour etc and it's not pretty.

Yes, much of the world is watching Thailand but for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

I know this sounds crass and old imperialist Britannia, but can Prayuth speak English?

Genuine question.

Probably not and in this case, does it matter. I agree it would be an asset if he was able to speak some English, but then again, so could the previous P.M., sometimes with interesting results.

Prayuth will have an interpreter with him all the time, as I doubt the leaders of Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam or China, speak Thai. He won't be entering No.10 Downing St or The White House in his lifetime.

It's the international language and Thaksin (both) and Mark are fluent.

I know this sounds crass and old imperialist Britannia, but can Prayuth speak English?

Genuine question.

Probably not and in this case, does it matter. I agree it would be an asset if he was able to speak some English, but then again, so could the previous P.M., sometimes with interesting results.

Prayuth will have an interpreter with him all the time, as I doubt the leaders of Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam or China, speak Thai. He won't be entering No.10 Downing St or The White House in his lifetime.

It's the international language and Thaksin (both) and Mark are fluent.

It may be the international language and there are many poor, young and old Burmese who can speak better English than Thein Sein. ASSK speaks fluent English for the same reason as AV.

Abhisit is fluent for obvious reasons. Thaksin (both???) presume you mean Shinawatras, Thaksin & Yingluck?

Mumble and stumble, but at least they try.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 2

Most democracies don't welcome dictators, and quite right too.

There's always Myanmar. He'd fit in well there.

Funny you should say that.........

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand's coup leader and premier Prayuth Chan-O-Cha will visit Myanmar on his first official overseas trip, an official said on Friday, as the junta seeks to strengthen ties with its former military-ruled neighbour.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/thai-pm-prayuth-visit-myanmar-first-official-trip-20140912

• Like 1

He will certainly be able to visit ASEAN countries given the principle of non interference in each others affairs.China is also a possibility though I suspect Beijing is much too canny to place to much money on this nag.Perhapd there are some third world dumps that would be prepared to receive him.

Elsewhere he will get the cold shoulder.Someone should tell him that not being in a hurry to travel abroad is not really that problematic if invitations are not received.

The third world dumps were already covered by his predecessor on her grand world tour freebie. Wasn't there reports of the Thai foreign minister, her cousin, trying to solicit invitations for her to certain countries?

No one seems to be giving Thailand the cold shoulder, apart from the silly Aussies who no one takes seriously. The usual political rhetoric, indignation, and then back to business.

Iraq, Syria, ISIS, Russian military expansion and warmongering, will be a tad more prominent than one of Thailand's coup cycles.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

A true dictatorship would most likely shutdown this forum and jail those who criticize their regime, such as the above.

Dictator? It's easy to put a label on something, but sometimes difficult to support the thought.

• Like 2

It's a blessing for Thailand that he doesn't want to go abroad. What would he talk about? His blue jackets, the spirits in government buildings? Bikinis? Polish a turd as much as you like, it's still a turd.

Perhaps a bit of polishing at the keyboard would be of benefit as well.

He will certainly be able to visit ASEAN countries given the principle of non interference in each others affairs.China is also a possibility though I suspect Beijing is much too canny to place to much money on this nag.Perhapd there are some third world dumps that would be prepared to receive him.

Elsewhere he will get the cold shoulder.Someone should tell him that not being in a hurry to travel abroad is not really that problematic if invitations are not received.

The third world dumps were already covered by his predecessor on her grand world tour freebie. Wasn't there reports of the Thai foreign minister, her cousin, trying to solicit invitations for her to certain countries?

No one seems to be giving Thailand the cold shoulder, apart from the silly Aussies who no one takes seriously. The usual political rhetoric, indignation, and then back to business.

Iraq, Syria, ISIS, Russian military expansion and warmongering, will be a tad more prominent than one of Thailand's coup cycles.

Don't be so ridiculous.As a democratically elected leader Yingluck was received by all the world's key leaders including Obama,Cameron and Queen Elizabeth.Prayuth can only dream of achieving a tiny fraction of his predecessor's international legitimacy.

• Like 2

^^ Yes. If, in some alternate universe, Prayuth were to visit Obama and make a tour of Europe, the junta's fans on this board would obviously take that as evidence of its legitimacy. But, conveniently, the fact that that will never happen is either irrelevant or, even better, proof of his virtue.

• Like 1

A true dictatorship would most likely shutdown this forum and jail those who criticize their regime, such as the above.

Dictator? It's easy to put a label on something, but sometimes difficult to support the thought.

Well, Amnesty International think that the thought is well supported.

• Like 1

"foreign visits must be substantive, of real benefit and worthy of the peoples taxes."

Like the EC`s recent important fact finding mission to Scotland.

Australia is a major military and economic force in the region and a bastion of democracy.

If no other major players, eg US, UK, EU, are giving the cold shoulder, where are the invitations? Ok, ISIS etc are major problems occupying attention. Thailand has a problem with Islamist separatists. They might like to try repairing relationships with Oz for the sake of restoring collaboration on Int terrorism at least. .

• Like 1

I doubt if he will be the "frequent flyer" Yingluck was, but then again he has much to do at home repairing the damage done in the last 3 years. Very hard to steer the ship when you are tripping around the world with a huge entourage and an abundance of suitcases just waiting to be filled with booty, paid for by the taxpayer, of course.

It would take a certain amount of intelligence and insight to work that out. Doubt if Yingluck or too many of her "followers" would qualify. biggrin.png

And I doubt if the General would be too concerned about all the anti-junta comments found on forums. He is much smarter than that. thumbsup.gif

"Perhapd there are some third world dumps that would be prepared to receive him."

Indeed sir! I'm sure the Zimbabwean, Nicaraguan, Ugandan and Montenegrin governments would roll the red carpet for him, what do you reckon? Perhaps even the Emirates?

• Like 1

"Perhapd there are some third world dumps that would be prepared to receive him."

Indeed sir! I'm sure the Zimbabwean, Nicaraguan, Ugandan and Montenegrin governments would roll the red carpet for him, what do you reckon? Perhaps even the Emirates?

He may go grovelling to some of these "third world dumps" if he is ever in need of a spare passport. That is, of course, he is ever in the situation where the Thai government was thinking about cancelling his Thai passport, for some reason ! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I saw the part of the televised address last night ( interrupted the Ryder Cup).

He seemed to be making excuses not to go, understandable,even in a suit he is still the leader of a coup holding absolute power. Won't go down well with most governments and then of course the ongoing Koh Tao fiasco a major embarrassment. Add in forced labour etc and it's not pretty.

Yes, much of the world is watching Thailand but for the wrong reasons.

I doubt China, Singapore, Myanmar, Iran or Russia would care.

Canoodling with Russia and China would make the others quickly friendly again.