50 Vietnamese fishing boat crew members held

Lite Beer

50 Vietnamese fishing boat crew members held
The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Second Naval Area Command officers yesterday morning rounded up 50 crewmembers of six Vietnamese squid fishing boats for intruding 11 nautical miles into Thai waters from Nakhon Si Thammarat Koh Kra.

The operation was carried out following tip-offs by Thai fishing boat owners that dozens of Vietnamese boats were fishing in Thai waters without permission.

The crewmembers were brought to the Songkhla Naval Base in the morning and were provided food and water pending interrogation. The six boats were expected to arrive at the base later in the evening.

Earlier, on September 5, the Second Naval Area Command arrested three Vietnamese boats with 17 crew members onboard while they were fishing in Thai waters.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/50-Vietnamese-fishing-boat-crew-members-held-30244289.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-28

I don't understand the ASEAN connection mentioned in the above post.

This is a straight forward case of ignoring exclusive rights within territorial waters and an intentional disregard for those rights by Vietnamese fishing boats.

Had it been one boat only then it could be excused as a navigational error; however not with three boats and captains involved.

This was obviously a deliberate act.

Does anyone know if Thai boats do the same in Vietnam waters?

This is a straight forward case of ignoring exclusive rights within territorial waters and an intentional disregard for those rights by Vietnamese fishing boats.

Had it been one boat only then it could be excused as a navigational error; however not with three boats and captains involved.

It would surprise me if they didnt do the same. However i would tend to think the Thai dont do it on such a large scale.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe, if other similar cases are anything to go by. Consider the case of the Thai fishing boats that intruded into Indonesian territorial waters just a few months ago and the crew members arrested. Or the Thais that intruded into Burmese waters near Ranong and were similarly arrested, also just a couple of months ago.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

and yet a few nautical miles inland from the same point Thais are getting killed and maimed by bombs and nobody can be bothered to do anything (except 'allow' Malaysia to oversee talks that never go seem to materialise)

It would surprise me if they didnt do the same. However i would tend to think the Thai dont do it on such a large scale.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks. I am not sure about the large scale since Thailand has a huge fishing fleet. I just wonder if this is one of those "pot calling the kettle black" since the commercial fisheries in the entire SE Asia region is rife with illegal fishing practices.

Excuse me, everyone knows the Thai fishing industry is squeaky clean.