Wild elephant kills monk in Khao Saming district of Trat province

webfact

Wild elephant kills monk

TRAT: -- A Buddhist monk in Khao Saming district of Trat province was killed when he tried to chase away a wild elephant entering the temple looking for food.

The incident happened Sunday night at Wat Khao Cha-om temple in Village Group 8 of Tambon Sator of Khao Saming district. However the body of the monk identified later as Phra Prasit Jakavaro.

Temple boys told the police that several wild elephants entered the temple area last night as they used to in the past few months looking for food.

Phra Prasit came out of his living place to chase the elephants as usual.

But this time one elephant didn’t go but charged into the monk. He ran around a mango tree in bid to escape but couldn’t make through.

He was pulled with the trunk and smashed at the tree, and stepped on the head by the angry elephant.

He died with his face to the ground near the tree. His face was crushed and skull and several bones were also broken.

The abbot of the temple said wild elephants coming down from mountains for food was a chronic problem of the temple and villagers.

He said two years ago a villager was also killed by wild elephants in the same area.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/wild-elephant-kills-monk/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-06

• Like 1

Sad incident, sad loss of life.

And a lesson to be learned here.

Don't mess with wildlife, don't mess with nature.

They could have restricted the entrance of the elephants in the wat, that was not the first time that happened, but should never try to be brave against those beautiful but ferocious animals.

• Like 2

They could have restricted the entrance of the elephants in the wat, that was not the first time that happened, but should never try to be brave against those beautiful but ferocious animals.

......don't mess with nature..... So you mean if I chop my tree the other trees will beat me off ????? Now I'm scared very much . cheesy.gif

......don't mess with nature..... So you mean if I chop my tree the other trees will beat me off ????? Now I'm scared very much . cheesy.gif

you are laughing at yourself i presume.

• Like 1

Is a white elephant really white or does that mean something else? Just curious.

Is a white elephant really white or does that mean something else? Just curious.

Not white, mostly large areas of pink coloured skin. Giving someone a white elephant, the expression came from India where I believe the 'White Elephant' was considered as holy etc and required substantial amounts of money to look after. If you gave someone a 'White Elephant' it was an especially good way to ensure he would be bankrupt/ruined etc in a short time.

A good business ploy if you want to look at it that way.

RIP to the Monk.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Not white, mostly large areas of pink coloured skin. Giving someone a white elephant, the expression came from India where I believe the 'White Elephant' was considered as holy etc and required substantial amounts of money to look after. If you gave someone a 'White Elephant' it was an especially good way to ensure he would be bankrupt/ruined etc in a short time.

A good business ploy if you want to look at it that way.

RIP to the Monk.

y wife advises that the Revered King is the only one who can own/have them.