Tourist arrivals in Trat Province drop by more than 50%

webfact

Tourist arrivals in Trat Province drop by more than 50%

BANGKOK, 21 Oct (NNT) - The chairman of Trat Chamber of Commerce has revealed that tourist arrivals in the first 9 months of this year have dropped by more than half of last year’s number.

Trat Chamber of Commerce Chairman Sumitr Keawkajee said that the province is seen a substantial decline in tourist visits due to the previous political crisis.

The chairman stated that, in 2013, 1.2 million tourists visited Trat Province, 30-40% of whom were foreign tourists. However, Mr.Sumitr reported that the number in the first 9 months of this year has dropped by more than half of last year’s total.

The chairman urged relevant agencies to quickly stimulate local tourism and launch measures to regain tourist confidence in visiting Thailand.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-20 footer_n.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps backpackers are finding cooler places in the world to travel to. Koh Chang for example, was a cool place to visit 30-40 years ago. No paved roads, no access to White Sands beach other than by path through the jungle, villages like Baan Bang Bao virtually inaccessible. Waterfalls such as the one at Klongprao had to be discovered, no signs, hardly anyone went there. No ferry. A fisherman would take you in his boat for 40 baht.

Would be hugely disappointed to go now though.

I've seen the pics of even 20 years ago, and have some friends who moved here in the early 90's sounds like it was a great place.

There are still nice parts, but vastly different. The cesspool that is Lonely Beach is one place, that would benefit from being totally torn down.its just Khao San road by the beach, vile, vile place.

• Like 1

Delievering a second class product and charging for first class, can only last so long!

Finally the visitors are starting to vote with their feet!!

Arrogance and the fall of a nation!!coffee1.gif

Relax. We are not In the high season yet. I don't think thailand has to be worried. Tourists will come, just let it take some time and it will be sorted out.

Where I live, we see more and more new faces ;)

• Like 2

Delievering a second class product and charging for first class, can only last so long!

Finally the visitors are starting to vote with their feet!!

Arrogance and the fall of a nation!!coffee1.gif

Relax. We are not In the high season yet. I don't think thailand has to be worried. Tourists will come, just let it take some time and it will be sorted out.

Where I live, we see more and more new faces ;)

Carsten, the figures are for the last 9 months, which includes 4 months of the high season Jan, Feb, Mar, April. The numbers are massively down

Sitting. Around giving it the Mai pen rai attitude is half the problem with this country

Do you specifically have a tourist related business in Trat and know different?

I just got back from Pattaya and it was the same as the rest of you posters.Almost every bar that I saw was nearly empty. Walking street at night was not crowded. The beaches were empty mostly. Even the para-sailing stopped work after lunch.

I am going there the weekend after next, it will be interesting to see if it is still as dead.

I was in Pattaya last week for a few days. The hotel I usually stay at is normally quite busy, even in low season. In high season you better book in advance if you want a room. But last week, the hotel was nearly empty. Only a small handfull of guests.

Was very quiet in Hua hin last week too...

Yep, I was in Hua Hin last week it was absolutely dead.
why not stoped in Cha Am and have a beer together- maybe next time...

Would have loved to, I was there on the Saturday night. Back next month sometime I think.

Was very quiet in Hua hin last week too...

Yep, I was in Hua Hin last week it was absolutely dead.
why not stoped in Cha Am and have a beer together- maybe next time...
Would have loved to, I was there on the Saturday night. Back next month sometime I think.

Mon/Tue are good,weekends i have to work.send me a PM if you come down next time.

Yes .

The Junta are now pro active covering up so much stuff-

Thats nothing .

There are as far as reports reveal -

Six western deaths in road accidents

2 suicides *(doubts)

2murders

Its really so not funny anymore

The hijacking of a dive boat yesterday still not reported either....

• Like 1

So I cancel my family holidays to Trat / Koh Koot?

No of course not.

The dive boat escapade yesterday was an idiot tourist acting out.

The others that Fred said about, not sure about. Still find this part of Thailand relatively peaceful from my experience.

• Like 1

Yes .

The Junta are now pro active covering up so much stuff-

Thats nothing .

There are as far as reports reveal -

Six western deaths in road accidents

2 suicides *(doubts)

2murders

Its really so not funny anymore

The hijacking of a dive boat yesterday still not reported either....

Your right - its all a question of whats not covered up anymore

• Like 1

Perhaps backpackers are finding cooler places in the world to travel to. Koh Chang for example, was a cool place to visit 30-40 years ago. No paved roads, no access to White Sands beach other than by path through the jungle, villages like Baan Bang Bao virtually inaccessible. Waterfalls such as the one at Klongprao had to be discovered, no signs, hardly anyone went there. No ferry. A fisherman would take you in his boat for 40 baht.

Would be hugely disappointed to go now though.

I've seen the pics of even 20 years ago, and have some friends who moved here in the early 90's sounds like it was a great place.

There are still nice parts, but vastly different. The cesspool that is Lonely Beach is one place, that would benefit from being totally torn down.its just Khao San road by the beach, vile, vile place.

The whole west-coast of Koh Chang is covered in ticky-tacky blight and is no longer free from cars or pick-ups, anywhere. This is just the natural "progression" of the tourist model pursued for decades now. Most of what's for sale is tourist crap. The food is good but the seafood is all imported so it's not any more authentic to eat a grilled fish there than in Bangkok. It's not as bad as Samui, where you you may have to remind yourself at times that you are on an island not in the middle of a large town on the mainland, but that's probably only a matter of time.

The east side is empty if you want to camp, no thanks, or chichi resorts, for, you know, the "quality" tourists. The other main fork of the tourist model here.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo
  • Like 1

agencies to quickly stimulate local tourism and launch measures to regain tourist confidence in visiting Thailand.

hmm just as quickly as they screwed it up it will never happen inside a decade

Its not just the agencies responsibilites. These numb nuts also have to contribute. What are they as operators going to do?

obviously many went to Trat province to spend few days around and heading to Cambodia before coming back to the kingdom as visa runners

but now since their entry will be denied because the crackdown...it was so logical

• Like 2