Phuket speedboat captain distracted by plastic bag before accident

webfact

I believe this story.

Back in 1993, my mate's girlfriend was explaining how she crashed her brand new Civic. Apparently she was reaching for her handbag, in the back seat (not sure if she left the driver's seat to retrieve it) when she drove into the opposite lane. Believe it or not, there are 'people' out there that are not playing with a full deck.

Plausible if you remember the British couple cycling through Bangkok being mowed down by a speeding truck whilst the idiot driver attempted to retrieve his cap which had fallen to the floor. Plausible but incredibly stupid.

Yes, it's the same story here, and remember, the pickup driver was sentenced to drive a bit more carefully.

It is time to have speedboat operators require a license.

When you are responsible for 40+ people you cannot leave the wheel at any circumstances. You ask your deck help to remove whatever it is.

That is responsible driving.

So they often cram more people on boats like this then allowed, so his remark was right on spot. That there are bigger boats sure.. but was it a bigger boat that was used or not.

Surely you are not blind to how these boats are often loaded with too many people. (my experience is mainly with the speedboat ferries between the islands in the south not chartered trips)

And now it is 'more than allowed'.

I won't get into an argument here, but will simply state again that anyone asking 'how do you cram 40 people on a speedboat' has no clue and has never seen these kind of speedboats used.

Then I call it crammed instead of more then allowed. Better now ?

Getting 40 ppl in a speedboat can be done based on the size of course but as I said often they are even overloaded for their size. That is my experience on multiple trips. Going again in November will see how it goes then but if past experiences are anything to judge it by it will be trouble again. No problems here paying extra for a decent speedboat that is not overloaded.

It is time to have speedboat operators require a license.

When you are responsible for 40+ people you cannot leave the wheel at any circumstances. You ask your deck help to remove whatever it is.

That is responsible driving.

A license is required already.