best place to buy good laptop in BKK?

thelongshoot

Why do so many expats nostalgically cling to Pantip? I hate Pantip. It's way too hot & drab, and the location is far from BTS & MRT ... and traffic is a nightmare in the afternoon.

I find Fortune Town Building much nicer and easier. It very modern, clean & well lit, well air-conned, and the location is excellent because the Phra Ram 9 MRT station (exit 1) is right in front of the entrance. There are many computer/IT and electronic stores with a broad array of choices.

• Fortune Town : A mall with "Lifestyle IT and Multimedia Center" concept. The mall has five floors that offer hundreds of IT shops, quick service restaurants, banks, health & beauty shops, food avenue, hobby and toys shops. Fortune Town is open daily from 10.00 AM - 9.00 PM, easily accessible via Phra Ram 9 MRT station exit 1.

BTW, I highly recommend the Mac. Once you go Mac there's no turning back. And with operating systems OSX Yosemite on the Mac, and iOS8 on iPhone & iPad, and linked to iCloud, they can all work interchangeably with each other. No other computer company can do this because Apple is the only company that designs/produces all their own hardware, operating systems and apps ... and does so so they all to work together with each other. Yes, I'm an Apple fan boy ... and I bought lots of their stock when it was very cheap. ;-)

Edited by HerbalEd

I've to disagree re. Lenovo service.

I own a X230 ThinkPad (bought in HKG, with a 3-year international warranty), had problem with keyboard, went to Lenovo ThinkPad Service Center in BKK and got the keyboard changed within a couple of days, free of charge.

That's my experience with them

thumbsup.gif

Agree with Fortune, directly above the Rama-9 MRT station.

There is a LENOVO dealeri n Central World, 4th level.

BTW...You didn't ask but, Lenovo service in Bangkok sucks.

My personal suggestion is ASUS.

My previous laptops were Sony, HP, and Compaq.

Sony is basically overpriced for what, I have no idea.

HP is also in the overpriced market but reliability is the worst I've seen, after a year, just right when the warranty is off, parts start to fail.

Value wise, ASUS and Acer wins top hand, you can compare various brands for the similar specs, you will find that, at the end of the day, these 2 brands give the most per money spent. I can't comment on Acer, but now I'm hooked on ASUS. Been using 3 years now, laptop still functions like brand new, never any fan sounds or like the laptop is pushed to the edge. Sony and HP is roaring.

why would you want to spend 50 g's on a lap top? if you are a serious gamer maybe, Fortune the place to go. 4th floor above tesco/lotus. just bought a brand new slim light weight 1.5 k. acer with all the goodies, win 8.1, & 8 gig ram, less than 15 g's

When I'm spending over 50 grand THB on a laptop, and I usually do because I want a good one, I get the latest reliable model off the internet after extensive review studies and "shipito" my front door in Bangkok. Usually cheaper than the equivalent model in Bangkok if it is on sale at all and I don't have to put up with the sales boys in the shopping malls.

FWIW I know some guys who've had problems with Lenovo. As you know, Lenovo is the former IBM after IBM sold its PC business to the Chinese. The Chinese got some technology out of it but they still have to import many of the parts.

Parts that China makes for American companies are supervised by Americans. Not so with Lenovo. For the parts they make, they are on their own.

Do as you wish but I wouldn't buy one.

$.02

Edited by NeverSure

FWIW I know some guys who've had problems with Lenovo. As you know, Lenovo is the former IBM after IBM sold its PC business to the Chinese. The Chinese got some technology out of it but they still have to import many of the parts.

Parts that China makes for American companies are supervised by Americans. Not so with Lenovo. For the parts they make, they are on their own.

$.02

Never had to use a Lenovo, but from what I can make of them I share your sentiments.

I bought a HP-Compaq laptop a few years ago. I thought I was buying an HP product; their stuff was always of better quality than their competitiors (well, at least it was that way 20 years ago), but never was a fan of Compaq. HP bought them out in the 1990s. The laptop I bought was quite disappointing, rather than bringing up the standards they lowered themselves to CPQ dinkiness, completely altered my perception of the HP brand.

I'm currently shopping for an i7 laptop, the field is narrowing down to Toshiba and Acer. I had a very good customer service experience with Acer a while back -- I bought a refurb at their outlet shop in Sunnyvale that developed problems while still under warranty, within a week they returned it with a new motherboard.

$.02

Never had to use a Lenovo, but from what I can make of them I share your sentiments.

I bought a HP-Compaq laptop a few years ago. I thought I was buying an HP product; their stuff was always of better quality than their competitiors (well, at least it was that way 20 years ago), but never was a fan of Compaq. HP bought them out in the 1990s. The laptop I bought was quite disappointing, rather than bringing up the standards they lowered themselves to CPQ dinkiness, completely altered my perception of the HP brand.

I'm currently shopping for an i7 laptop, the field is narrowing down to Toshiba and Acer. I had a very good customer service experience with Acer a while back -- I bought a refurb at their outlet shop in Sunnyvale that developed problems while still under warranty, within a week they returned it with a new motherboard.

My latest is a Toshiba Satellite with 8.1. It's been great. I didn't really go after a Toshiba, but Walmart had a great sale on it so...

• 2 weeks later...

The only place to buy a computer in BKK is Panthip Plaza, with the exception of the authorized Apple stores for Apple brands.

I go to the large store in the middle of the series of floors or the top floor store because both will be there for a long time and not disappear. The other small shops keep these two big ones competitive in price, so I dont even bother to shop around anymore... just go to either of these stores.

Panthip Plaza is becoming world famous as one stop shopping for computers and all accs. Why go anywhere else unless you want to pay more for a HiSo experience.

I looked in Pantip last week as I was in the area, didn't buy anything. One thing that struck me is the place is in good need of a refurbishment as it looks a sh1t hole. Much better shopping experience at Fortune or Zeer for me.

• 1 year later...