Robbery and Attempted Rape of Tourist Near Khaosan Road

Lite Beer

People are commenting like these acts only happen in Thailand.

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

Never heard of this many cases happening what seem more often.

I'm sure she felt safe too, right up to the point she was hit in the head.

Culturally, Thai's are not known for their violence against tourist I use to think.

Maybe the long exposer to Western influences is rubbing off. Sad.

Edited by Whidbeyboy

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sure I'm a male, but I feel safer in BKK than I do in most other western cities I've visited.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head--there is the Thailand experienced by us guys and the other one experienced by females.

Agree, try walking around quiet streets at 2:30 am in the morning in many western cities. Happens everywhere and Thailand still much safer than most countries, although sad that crimes like this are on the increase. No doubt connected to increase in drug use.

Why is the response always " but it's worse in other countries" as if that makes it OK.

How come whenever there's a crime here, people react like it's never happened before?

When was Thailand a crime-free paradise? When was any country?

SoiBiker .. there is a campaign in Australia for a girl that was gang-raped, 10 years ago, to receive her full compensation, which has now been halved (by politicians/bureaucrats) while our illustrious prime minister's daughter received a much high amount towards her further study at a place that the prime minister contributed a significant of tax-payers funds to ... and the girl who informed the media has been to Court and looking at a jail term ...

In thailand the rapes seem to be targeted at a specific group.

Namely--- white skinned tourists or white skinned expats. I am sure if say in England, there were almost daily reports of rapes, murders and robberies against people of asian denomination. there would be a worldwide outcry. Human rights the un and governments would address the problem. Many of these racist crimes are never convicted .

Some people see wacism everywhere.

The good general (PM) should make it entirely clear in his Friday speeches that these crimes (and many others) will not be tolerated.

As well as a refusal to grant bail (no matter who requests it) there should be severe punsihment.

Why not give this perp a minimum of 5 years (more had he succeeded in rape -possibly death!)

Word would get around and surely would reduce the number of criminal events - if not eliminate them.

Let Thailand show to the world they mean business!

They tried that in Indonesia...

Anyone caught robbing houses and engaging in assaults are firstly brutalised by the police, then flung into a serious prison sentence.

It didn't work.

In fact it seemed to make crimes more violent and executed with more planning in an attempt to reduce the chances of getting caught.

The desperation that arises from poverty and of being marginalised and caught in a hopeless economic corner is a powerful and persistent motivation.

In due course. most criminals would be incarcerated for long periods -then it would decrease or stop.. At the moment punishment is far too lenient and the perps if imprisoned at all are back on the streets within weeks/months. 5/10 years should mean just that - no time off for good behaviour or anything else. Give extra time for infringement of prison rules.

Just look at the Pattaya khatoeys rounded up in the past few days. 200baht fine and back selling themselves and robbing farangs again within the hour. What a bloody farce!. Give them 6 months with double the penalty if caught again.

Difficult to remedy, takes years of home discipline, but then you get one offs---drugs-- drink--frustration lack of work/laziness.

How can we prevent it ??? cannot. BUT way way off Khaosan Road at 2-30 in the morning, and 19 Year old.

The guy cannot have work, lazy git, or he too would have been sleeping.--but this maybe was his work.

Tourists--I know you want to enjoy BUT get back earlier to the hotel. This is no excuse as you are free to go at what time you wish.

Stay in busy tourist areas, enough is enough after midnight.---just saying.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

That's not a crime that's policy now.

There are no quality tourists in khao sarn road.

It doesn't sound like it--but who is to now if they are quality or not, who is to know how big their bank balance is ?? all types of tourist come to the area to look and say "I went there"

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree....I doubt that other countries have young Thai men bashing French tourists over the head with bricks, robbing them and trying to rape them! I think that's specific to Thailand....but I may be wrong....?laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

It always will happen everywhere, people will always eat, people will always tour, people will always be out in remote areas at 2-30 am. Lazy armholes will be on the lookout for straying girls, BUT you have to dig up some sordid places to beet Thailand at the minute (tourist crimes)

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head--there is the Thailand experienced by us guys and the other one experienced by females.

I can see your point, and once again I'm not female but I think walking alone at 2 in the morning being a female wouldn't be advisable in any SE Asian country or probably western country.

It's not right and needs to change but it's not isolated to BKK or Thailand.

Hey, that's 50% safer than Detroit.

Even a guy isn't safe walking home alone in Detroit.

females at 2:30am, are not safe anywhere

Thailand is not the exception,

every major city has this plague, but I do feel it is on the rise in Thailand as tourists continue to offer themselves as victims

No no you all misunderstand this happens all over the world, I hope he can afford the 200 baht fine or whatever paltry amount they come up with and lets hope the French woman doesnt name and shame him or she could be in big trouble............Thailand enough to make you PUKE!

Edited by kannot

Sorry, but I have to say that some tourist people are stupid.

A woman walking alone 2 AM in Bangkok downtown?.....Surprised that she was attacked? She got lucky was not murdered.

I myself will not walk alone near Khaosan Roas again. I did only one time because the special bus from Chiang Mai arrived there 4 AM...I was lucky I was not assaulted when looking to reach my hotel.I was really afraid and nervous walking there...and I got into a 7/11 to wait for daylight.

What 's going on with farangs on this site? Are they aware that practically ANY big city in the world is dangerous at those hours???? ..and in particularly spots like Khaosan Road??? New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, Rome, Paris, Mexico City, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Cali, Lima, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Manila, Jakarta, Bali, London, Istanbul, Jerusalem, and most the South American, Middle East, and African countries.....I can go on full page with city names .....Most good hotels in those cities advise tourist about safety rules...

If you think that tourism in Thailand will stop because some tragic violent acts....you are wrong. Will young people stop going to American schools because some weird guy ransom killed teachers and students? That happens EVERY year in the US....probably the only country where students needs to pass metal scanners before entering schools...Will mothers stop taking its children to markets and parks in the US because weird guys are looking for the opportunity to kidnap, rape, and kill, children and teenagers. That happens EVERY year in the US..probably the only country that an strange cannot talk or be even close to a child without rising suspicions, and mothers have to keep their children "on leach" everywhere they go.

Thailand it is a very safe country comparing with most in this world....No country is safe is you are in the wrong place, and in the wrong time..and specially, around the wrong people.

"other "countries have punishments for this, often here its almost nothing.

Thailand needs to let people know it is a dangerous place and not drop your guard. This Land of Smiles is a lie !

It is not necessarily a lie, but quite often things are not exactly as they appear either. Meaning, sometimes a smile is not really a smile. The advisories to always remain aware of your surroundings are well founded anywhere, but are becoming of increasing importance here. The wheels are coming off the wagon for much of Thai society. As a consequence, there will be increasing mayhem. As targets, we are sitting ducks, reputed to have wealth, while often brandishing bad attitudes that engender an incredible amount of resentment and ill will in our respective communities. This is a land where unfortunately, there is a high likelihood that unsuspecting tourists will reap the rewards for what we sow. This is why it is imperative, no matter the situation, to keep our cool. Word to the wise has always been, seek out the offender's superior, state your case, and let the Thais handle whatever admonishments need to be delivered. This is the way of the educated Thai, and it would serve us well to follow their lead. If we do not more or less become ambassadors, and turn this sh*t around, LOS will soon become unlivable for all farang, regardless of how well intentioned.

I believe the good General had previously stated that women are generally safe in this country so long as they don't dress provocatively.

Whatever spin people want to put on who is to blame there is a simple truth. This is not going to help Thailand's case for tourism.

On a personal level I'd like to think that women can enjoy the world equally to men. Thailand needs to be realistic about the safety of the tourists they desire so greatly.

Drug use on the rise.

This is the product of that. Senseless crimes wicked in nature which only human numbed on drugs could do.

Inequality on the rise is more like it.

Thailand as all the symptoms.

more smokers, drinkers,drugs, school drop outs, teen pregnancies, crime.

obviously if you're Thai and commit a crime, good chance you'll get off whereas

you used to have to be rich but now blame a foreigner works too. blink.png

OMG!

That's why I am told not to go out alone after 7-8 PM. Full of rapes and robberies on the road, especially near alleyways.

And for foreign women who look like Thai people (Chinese, Filippino, Singaporean etc.), you shouldn't wear clothes which show even just a little bit of your bellies, or your shoulders. There's a high risk that you would get raped.

And if you show your belly on the road, and you get raped. The police come and they will protect the man, not the girl who got raped, because showing belly means that you're some kind of prostitutes. <noted for Asian women in Thai only. If you are Westerners, it's okay for you to show your bellies on the street>

• Like 1

I'm not making excuses for any sort of crime, but with the Army and the Police taking away the earning power of local people such as street traders, many will inevitably resort to crime in the fight to survive..... "Desperate men resort to desperate measures".

• Like 1