Best window brand available in Thailand

Depends on where you live and how many windows you wish to order. Every builders merchants store has one or more brands of stock sizes, some casement, some fixed, most awning, many gliding or sliding. I was foolish eight years ago and insisted on some single hung windows. The owners of two of the better Bangkok custom window fabricators tried to steer me to more sensible choices. Seems that Hoffen, Lynn, Aluvin, Trustand are in standard sizes in many builders merchants and modern trade stores. To this day I wish I had bought windows from http://www.aluzat.com/ Aluzat which has a fabrication plant near the Bangkok airport. I would like to ask the OP what his objections were to

1) Hoffen 2) Lynn 3) Aluvin or 4) Trustand windows. It seemed to me you could order thicker glass, different tints with any four of those brands. Lynn was willing to make a custom size when I asked last month. I see several custom window fabricators at each annual Architect Expo held inside Impact in Bangkok each May. I could not recommend the firm in Chonburi that made and installed tempered glass windows and doors in my wife's house.

post-20604-0-44341300-1415627068_thumb.j

post-20604-0-48526000-1415627105_thumb.j

post-20604-0-23774700-1415627148_thumb.j

post-20604-0-01974300-1415627185_thumb.j

post-20604-0-63303300-1415627269_thumb.j

post-20604-0-43924200-1415627392_thumb.j

• Like 2

What I saw at the Home center was the same flimsy single pane stuff I have already, casements Still look nice but rubber seals breaking down after five years. No heat insulation whatsoever. I am on the 6th floor and last time I was home when the bug crew came for the monthly treatment I realized I have really no insulation at all. From the ground application of pesticides My room quickly became a gas chamber with visible clouds of fumigant!

High winds and rain also drive bird crap and dust under the tracks and into the room. It is a small condo with a 5 piece bay window only. Not a big job but will likely require custom cut windows and a professional crew, I'm not sure. In Chiang Mai.

I went to several places in Pattaya and could not find any reasonable quality double-glazed thin-profile aluminium replacement patio doors/windows at anything approaching a sensible price. What was available was either imported and incredibly expensive or local and too thick (but cheap).

Plenty of places doing PVC frames, but of course these all had very thick profiles, which I dont want at all.

Edited by KittenKong

• 2 weeks later...

If Pvc profiles are suitable you could look at PSD , (pvcphuket dot com).

Declaration, Posted by the owner of the company.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

When I did my checking on aluminium frame prices I found that double-glazing didn't make a very big difference to prices in itself.

What made the difference was where the profiles came from (ie local or imported, or made locally to imported spec) and above all which company was selling them (farang companies were very expensive).

A complete door/window replacement for my condo was 175K at most (double-glazed, imported profiles) and 35K at least (local profiles).

When I did my checking on aluminium frame prices I found that double-glazing didn't make a very big difference to prices in itself.

What made the difference was where the profiles came from (ie local or imported, or made locally to imported spec) and above all which company was selling them (farang companies were very expensive).

A complete door/window replacement for my condo was 175K at most (double-glazed, imported profiles) and 35K at least (local profiles).

Kinda surprised what you say about DG.

It is really competitive in the UK but I was under the impression it was a sort of luxury-priced commodity here.

Anyone got any specific figures?

Having owned a uPVC company here in Thailand since 2004 I would be happy to help any member with general questions that you may have about pricing / profiles / glazing / hardware etc.

Not here to promote my company specifically ( there are now dozens to choose from within Thailand ). And also posters here related to other companies fabricating uPVC.

However happy to give some (hopefully) unbiased helpfull advice through pm as the open forum is perhaps not the best place for me to reply openly in case its construed as self promotion.

But to breifly answer the above ^^ post.

Profiles (the majority) used here are the same as availiable in the UK and although yes are considerabley more than local aluminium you are at two ends of the quality scale hence the pricing difference , ( simple layman example a merc and a skoda are both cars right ? As the aluminium and uPVC are both windows. ( perhaps not the best anology but hopefully you get the point ).

However they are generally around 30% to 60% less than youd paybin the UK for the equivilant.

Having owned a uPVC company here in Thailand since 2004 I would be happy to help any member with general questions that you may have about pricing / profiles / glazing / hardware etc.

Not here to promote my company specifically ( there are now dozens to choose from within Thailand ). And also posters here related to other companies fabricating uPVC.

However happy to give some (hopefully) unbiased helpfull advice through pm as the open forum is perhaps not the best place for me to reply openly in case its construed as self promotion.

Profiles (the majority) used here are the same as availiable in the UK and although yes are considerabley more than local aluminium you are at two ends of the quality scale hence the pricing difference , ( simple layman example a merc and a skoda are both cars right ? As the aluminium and uPVC are both windows. ( perhaps not the best anology but hopefully you get the point ).

However they are generally around 30% to 60% less than youd paybin the UK for the equivilant.

The brands available here are the same as in Europe, the profiles and reinforcements inserted are much different though.

The brands available here are the same as in Europe, the profiles and reinforcements inserted are much different though.

Anthony , apolagies but I beg to differ .

Of course alternatives are aviliable , however also availiable are the exact same systems if required including steel and profile dimensions that may be specified by architects / engineers.

Ive been fabricating them for 10 years so Im certainly not dreaming.

:-)

Of course alternatives are aviliable , however also availiable are the exact same systems if required including steel and profile dimensions that may be specified by architects / engineers.

As you say, the exact same systems are available if required, fact however is that in 99% of the cases they are not used to cut back on costs.

I know how a Thyssen-Inoutic profile has some "double chambers" in Europe, but have never seen the same profiles at authorized Inoutic dealers in Thailand, and then I don't even talk about the box steel they insert.

As you say, the exact same systems are available if required, fact however is that in 99% of the cases they are not used to cut back on costs.

I know how a Thyssen-Inoutic profile has some "double chambers" in Europe, but have never seen the same profiles at authorized Inoutic dealers in Thailand, and then I don't even talk about the box steel they insert.

Hi Again Anthony ,

With ref to your above post ,

Inoutic profiles are the same the world over including Thailand along with their spec for the galvanised re-inforcement.

However an "Authorised Inoutic" fabricator may also be fabricating profiles from the likes of Conch , Shide , etc.

I think you will find if you were looking at profiles that did not seem to be from Inoutic it is because they were not and you were probably looking at one of the above profiles or similar, that would also explain the thickness of the steel re-inforcement you witnessed.

Most of the companies im personally aware of in Thailand will offer at least two profile options for pricing purposes.

Personally we offer Veka or Conch depending on budget and specification required .

I guess there may be some "unscrouplilous" fabricators offering Conch (or similar) profiles and portraying them as Inoutic to widen their margins , however if that is the case ( which I haven't heard of to be honest ) its just a case of buyer beware and a little due dilligence may be required on making sure you receive what you order and just have them confirm the profile on the order form in case if any future issues.

And of course ask around for feedback from people you know who may of used or heard of the company concerned .

However rather than clutter up the thread replying to each other if you would like to know any more please feel free to pm me and I will as mentioned before try to be as honest and unbiased as I can in my replies.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know if you can easily replace the original windows in a condo with a double glazed window without changing the frames? Frames are the standard aluminium type. I live in a condo that faces the main road and the noise is unberable at night, can't change the frames only option is to replace the sliding windows with double glazed type to reduce the noise. thanks

anyone know if you can easily replace the original windows in a condo with a double glazed window without changing the frames? Frames are the standard aluminium type. I live in a condo that faces the main road and the noise is unberable at night, can't change the frames only option is to replace the sliding windows with double glazed type to reduce the noise. thanks

You certainly can. I got a quote for it and it's quite cheap. You can lift the windows out of the frame and take them to a Thai alu/glass shop, get them in to measure them.

But your problem may be that much of the noise etc actually comes through the ill-fitting cheap frames, and having two sheets of glass wont help that.

• Like 2

Perhaps a better option for you in this case would be secondry glazing .

That's exactly what the Thai owner of my local alu/glass shop suggested. The price was about the same and he said it would be more effective, which makes sense if the existing frames are a bit dodgy.

In the end I didnt do either as I want to change the frames completely.

Edited by KittenKong

Go for casement opening windows over sliding if your changing the frames if you can.

Considerable more effective design for soundproofing.

Mine are patio doors, and building regs more or less oblige me to have sliding ones. All other things being equal I would prefer the folding sort, but I dont think that will be possible.

You certainly can. I got a quote for it and it's quite cheap. You can lift the windows out of the frame and take them to a Thai alu/glass shop, get them in to measure them.

But your problem may be that much of the noise etc actually comes through the ill-fitting cheap frames, and having two sheets of glass wont help that.

You are correct most of the noise comes through the slots between the window and frame. Any suggestion how to improve the insulation? Any insulation strip that can be bought from Home Pro / Thai Watsadu? thanks

I suppose you could try those rolls of self-adhesive rubber they sell for draft-proofing doors. Properly made frames mostly seem to have a sort of felt-like product on the sides of the frame for the window to slide into, and this is more effective but would probably be hard to retro-fit.

N7than's bang on secondary glazing.....a completely separate frame and glass....will work better. For a start there's no physical connection for sound to pass through the frame/s

If I remember right optimal distance between two glazing panels for heat insulation is small.....as typical on a double glazed panel.

But for sound I think the optimal distance is large....ie many centimetres or even a few inches....which would work out with a separate secondary frame.

One of your problems might be that the walls here are often only one small block thick, maybe make it difficult to fit a second frame easily into the existing reveal (sill and sides and top) inside the present window frame.

I remember in London seeing secondary glazing like this on the hugely busy A4 going west whcih had about a four inch gap.

N7than......what about glass thickness I think that has a considerable effect with sound.....maybe extra thick....6mm perhaps....for the inner frame?

Edited by cheeryble