Irishman reports alleged assault by Pattaya Baht Bus Driver

webfact

Irishman reports alleged assault by Pattaya Baht Bus Driver

irish-1.jpg

PATTAYA: -- In the early hours of Sunday a 54 year old Irishman reported an alleged assault by a Pattaya Baht Bus Driver in front of Central Festival Pattaya Beach on Pattaya Second Road.

Mr. Andrew Boyle told officers that he had flagged-down a Baht Bus at the front of Walking Street on Pattaya Beach and had told the driver he needed to go back to his Hotel in Soi AR in Central Pattaya.

Mr. Boyle reports that the driver of Baht Bus Number 118 stopped for a lengthy period of time in front of the Shopping Mall without any explanation which angered Mr. Boyle who then told the driver to proceed to his intended destination.

An exchange of strong words ensued which led to a physical confrontation, during which time Mr. Boyle claims he was punched in his face once, before being left at the location by the Driver, who left the scene in his Baht Bus.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/155647/irishman-reports-alleged-assault-by-pattaya-baht-bus-driver/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-11-17

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the tourist offered to pay the 100 or 150 baht fee to get to his destination asap,and the baht bus driver stopped in front of the mall to pick customers......i am by the tourist side

if the tourist pretended to get to his destination asap just with 10 baht....i am by the driver side

Do you pay baht bus drivers 150 baht for rush deliveries?

Tip of the iceberg. Consider how many similar incidents are not reported to police or so called press.

Baht bus drivers often have short fuses. Yes their jobs probably crush their souls, but so many jobs are like that.

Take care out there.

Do not confront the drivers in any way.

By all means, do not flip the finger at them or say the F word at them! That is taken much more seriously by Thais ... to westerners it is minor.

If you encounter an obviously crazed driver (you can often tell by their driving and braking style) take extra care ... and consider AVOIDANCE of conflict or even engagement with them in any way ... even eye contact.

Yes, be aware that some indeed may be armed in some ways ... such as knives, stun guns, or worse ...

If you get into a conflict with a driver, you can't win. They have friends on the streets which can be summoned on a moment's notice and you are the outsider.

"Tip of the iceberg. Consider how many similar incidents are not reported to police or so called press."

Why should that be the case? How many, if any, cases of assault are not reported?

Tip of the iceberg. Consider how many similar incidents are not reported to police or so called press.

Baht bus drivers often have short fuses. Yes their jobs probably crush their souls, but so many jobs are like that.

Take care out there.

By all means, do not flip the finger at them or say the F word at them! That is taken much more seriously by Thais ... to westerners it is minor.

If you encounter an obviously crazed driver (you can often tell by their driving and braking style) take extra care ... and consider AVOIDANCE of conflict or even engagement with them in any way ... even eye contact.

Yes, be aware that some indeed may be armed in some ways ... such as knives, stun guns, or worse ...

If you get into a conflict with a driver, you can't win. They have friends on the streets which can be summoned on a moment's notice and you are the outsider.

Wow......like it so much when you get angry.................

Just keeping it real ...

...and speculative.

if the tourist offered to pay the 100 or 150 baht fee to get to his destination asap,and the baht bus driver stopped in front of the mall to pick customers......i am by the tourist side

if the tourist pretended to get to his destination asap just with 10 baht....i am by the driver side

i never did but many russian or chinese tourists do.thats also the fee they ask at the pattaya bus station

Edited by kaobang

If you are in a hurry to get home then take a taxi.

If you have spent the night drinking then be wise enough to keep your mouth shut.

Raising your voice and giving orders to a bus driver is not going to get you home any quicker anywhere in the world.

The Irishman didn't deserve to get bashed but he certainly created the situation.

"The Irishman didn't deserve to get bashed but he certainly created the situation."

How do you know that the Irishman certainly created the situation?

Based on the article:

"...which angered Mr. Boyle who then told the driver to proceed to his intended destination."

Mr Boyle, himself, admits to becoming angry and to giving the Thai driver orders. Which is why I say he created the situation.

Had Mr Boyle not become angry and given the Thai driver orders, then there is no reason to believe the Thai bus driver would have hit him. Unless you are aware of a precedent for Thai bus drivers to just spontaneously rise from their seats and go smack a farang in the face.

This very well could be common practice of Thai Baht bus drivers--its entirely possible I am simply caught unawares.

In hindsight, I should have said he "likely" created the situation rather than "certainly". Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by ClutchClark
  • Like 1

i never did but many russian or chinese tourists do.thats also the fee they ask at the pattaya bus station

Interesting. I wrongfully thought that if people wanted to get somewhere in a hurry they would take a cab and not attempt to get a bus full of people to break its schedule.

Thanks

• Like 1

What happened with the:

Pattaya City is boosting safety for tourists, to address shortcomings the local tourism scene has been experiencing since the imposition of martial law and the murder of British tourists on Koh Tao.

How about that mister Pattaya mayor!

• Like 2

Interesting. I wrongfully thought that if people wanted to get somewhere in a hurry they would take a cab and not attempt to get a bus full of people to break its schedule.

Thanks

you misunderstood.many baht buses are empty.however i saw 2 or 3 times the driver made the passengers jump down and take a russian family on board

• Like 2

The Irish man is 54!

Must have had a hard life.

As for the Irishman got angry who knows what really happened but those drivers will bash u for nothing.

A lot of songtaews are owned by police as are many of the bars so you have no chance in Pattaya against the locals.

• Like 1

The Irish man is 54!

As for the Irishman got angry who knows what really happened but those drivers will bash u for nothing.

A lot of songtaews are owned by police as are many of the bars so you have no chance in Pattaya against the locals.

" A lot of songtaews are owned by police "

that figures rolleyes.gif

from the article..................

" Police contacted the Pattaya Baht Bus Cooperative after a search for the Baht Bus was unsuccessful. "giggle.gif

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

The Irish man is 54!

The news article quotes the Irishman himself saying he got angry.

The Irishman confessed he got angry.

Can you not even believe the man himself?

• Like 1

Take care out there.

"Tip of the iceberg. Consider how many similar incidents are not reported to police or so called press."

Why should that be the case? How many, if any, cases of assault are not reported?

How would he or anyone know how many are not reported?

One does get the feeling based on their behaviors that many drivers feel they are not "touched" the "law"

It seems virtually everybody here feels their not touched by the law.

You've got to be poor, unconnected, say like a garbage man, to feel the full weight of the law for hideous crimes like selling CD's recycled from someone's rubbish; or picking wild mushrooms.

• Like 1

The Irish man is 54!

The news article quotes the Irishman himself saying he got angry.

The Irishman confessed he got angry.

Can you not even believe the man himself?

If we can believe what was reported as being true I might agree with you. But who knows for sure.

What we do know is that many drivers are just short of being violent psychopaths who can bash tourists for the most part without fear of any punishment from the BIB quite a few of whom own said songtaews.

It sounded like he was doing a private hire because he actually asked the driver to take him to his hotel otherwise there would be no need to speak to the driver in the first place and his destination is not on the prescribed route in any case.

Edited by Tolley

If you are in a hurry to get home then take a taxi.

If you have spent the night drinking then be wise enough to keep your mouth shut.

Raising your voice and giving orders to a bus driver is not going to get you home any quicker anywhere in the world.

The Irishman didn't deserve to get bashed but he certainly created the situation.

"The Irishman didn't deserve to get bashed but he certainly created the situation."

Of course, we've only read his version of the story. I agree arguing or raising his voice was not going to end well ... probably true with a cabbie or bus driver in New York or Chicago as well. He may well have introduced some colorful language when "instructing" the driver. Not a reason to punch him, but still some reactions are pretty predictable.

I once argued with a song tao driver. Coincidentally he and his wife looked to have a combined weight of 90 kg and be in the 70+ age bracket and we were stopped in view of the police station at Jomtien ... not so much argued as clutched my heart & staggered when the duo tried to charge me 20 baht for the trip from Pattaya Tai to Jomtien. Apparently they mistook me for a tourist. I handed them 10 baht and we parted company with a shared smile. Hired them again on another occasion to travel to & from the post office in Naklua and agreed a reasonable charge before heading off.

Edited by Suradit69