Arrest warrant sought for American man over missing body parts

webfact

Arrest warrant sought for American man over missing body parts
The Nation

30248004-01_big.jpg?1416263236304

BANGKOK: -- AN ARREST warrant will be issued for an American man who allegedly tried to courier human parts to the US. He faces charges of theft, possessing stolen items and falsely declaring the types of items being posted.

He was also apparently captured on surveillance cameras entering Siriraj Hospital's medical museum recently before the body parts were reported missing, a police source said yesterday.

The parcels were heading for Las Vegas.

The source said Bangkok police chief Pol Lt-General Srivara Ransibrahmanakul had ordered his subordinates to seek the arrest warrant.

As of press time, the police were also in the process of acquiring surveillance-camera clips implicating Ryan Edward McPherson.

Dr Udom Kachintorn, dean of Siriraj Hospital's faculty of medicine, had reported that five body parts had gone missing from a museum inside the Adulyadej Wikrom Building after McPherson was last seen entering the building a month ago.

"We want to find out if the body parts had been carried out in [McPherson's] backpack, or if he bribed the museum staff" to take them out, the dean said.

Three of the five parts were allegedly stolen from the Forensic Science Division and the other two from the Division of Anatomical Science in the same museum, Udom said. He did not specify which parts came from which division.

Siriraj Hospital filed a complaint with Bangkok Noi police yesterday and museum custodians were interviewed about the surveillance footage and the case of the missing parts.

Police said policies on visitors to this museum and other medical displays under Siriraj Hospital would have to be stricter.

Separately, senior investigators met yesterday at the Bang Phongphang Police Station to discuss the case, and at a press conference later, investigator Pol Lt-Colonel Jaturong Thongphanlertsakul announced that the US Federal Bureau of Investigation was being asked to help in terms of the intended recipients.

Senior investigator Pol Colonel Sombat Milinthajinda confirmed yesterday that McPherson had left Thailand for Cambodia through the Khlong Luek border checkpoint in Sa Kaew province.

He said McPherson was one of the two Westerners believed to be involved in the case, though police had earlier never referred to a second person. However, a second man was seen alongside McPherson in photographs published in several Thai-language newspapers yesterday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Arrest-warrant-sought-for-American-man-over-missin-30248004.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-18

Diverting attention away from the market and from those whom he purchased his stuff from? Suddenly a second guy involved, and these two just walk into one of the most high end hospitals and proceed to steal body parts? Hard to believe.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 2

I talked to a Thai cop about this yesterday and asked him: where do you find professionally removed and stored body parts in Bangkok? His answer was: eh, hm. He was quite surprised when I told him: at the forensic museum in Siriraj Hospital...

Edited by Lupatria

They released him and now they want to arrest himfacepalm.gif

Nothing to do with the fact it is on the news around the world.facepalm.gif

He told the police he was going to Cambodia and he will come back if needed, wonder how much he had to put on the table to be released.facepalm.gif

right... now i understand he stole the shit from the museum...

The more I see and read concerning the Thai police farce force the more I am amused.In my 23+ years here I have never seen such a pathetic bunch of characters as we have seen in the last six month.

The collective brain power of the Thai police if it were dynamite wouldn't be able to muster enough power to blow one police persons nose.

Shouldn't that be if the police farce force used dynamite for brains, they wouldn't have enough power to blow the sh1t out of their ears.

• Like 2

The more I see and read concerning the Thai police farce force the more I am amused.In my 23+ years here I have never seen such a pathetic bunch of characters as we have seen in the last six month.

The collective brain power of the Thai police farce force if it were dynamite wouldn't be able to muster enough power to blow one police persons nose.

Were they better 23 years ago?

They are the reason Thailand is a popular destination for the world's underbelly, not the beaches and temples. biggrin.png

The collective brain power of the Thai police farce force if it were dynamite wouldn't be able to muster enough power to blow one police persons nose.

That's funny really cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif but an undeniable fact!!!

• Like 1

I just don't get it???

This guy comes to Thailand for the fist time in his life, walks straight into Siriraj Hospital Museum, steals a couple of body parts and sends them back home??

What is the point in all of this???

Was he going to use them in some movie??

Would it not be simpler to just stroll into one of the many museums in the U.S. , take the parts there and stroll out again??

I'm completely baffled.

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

I can understand the Thai police letting him go initially. It says a lot about the true nature of Thailand, and the cops are merely a reflection of that.

When he told them he bought this stuff at a BKK night market, I can picture the cops nodding to each other saying, "Hmm, yeah, alright, that makes sense". goof.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They released him and now they want to arrest him alt=facepalm.gif>

Nothing to do with the fact it is on the news around the world. alt=facepalm.gif>

He told the police he was going to Cambodia and he will come back if needed, wonder how much he had to put on the table to be released. alt=facepalm.gif>

Duh.....

Why did they let him go then... Doesn't anyone have a book of the general law in a police station?

Is it legal to export human body parts out via dhl?

Ummmm. No.

He was released because at that stage there was no evidence of an offence being committed. The hospital had not reported anything missing, that happened much later, hence the further investigations.

A distinction needs to be made between "exporting human body parts" and sending preserved-years-ago items by courier but apparently the charges do not relate to the export question so presumably no offence there.