Experience with Thai Elite Easy Access

Please note the following.

A couple of posters that are promoting the benefits of Elite here may have vested interests and sound to me like sales agents.

Secondly, in regards to getting a WP, a conversion from Elite to non B will have to take place.

Thirdly, as per their website:

In the event that the Member wants to transfer Membership to the third person, what are the procedures to do so?

Only Grand Individual member are allow to transfer once and subject to the rate of twenty percent (20%) excluding VAT of current market price at the time of the transfer and the approval as stated on Terms and Conditions of Thailand Elite Membership. After transfer, the term of the Membership is subject to the remaining period. Easy Access Member are not allow to transfer their membership.

So you don't "sell" it, you transfer it to whoever may be interested, and you cannot transfer the 500K one, only the 2M one.

I guess I must be among those who you suspect to be "sales agents"... :)

Your suspicion towards people like me, as well as the Thailand Elite program, is groundless.

I am a member since the early days of the program.

I do enjoy easy stays, highly convenient visas and great service from Thailand Elite since 13 years, and I am happy to share information about the program with those who still scratch their heads experiencing other visa solutions and tiring procedures.

Any new Thailand Elite member is a happy long stayer, or regular visitor, of Thailand.

I understand that some people are not totally sure about which visa option is best for them. Reason why it is important to have Thailand Elite members help them understand what the program is about.

In my opinion, and as a long time member, it is the best solution to stay in the country or pay regular visits to the country.

Once you are a Thailand Elite member... you don't even think about "selling" your membership. You stick to it. Trust me.

I do realise that keeping this thread up is only more free advertising for you. Even negative advertising is still advertising.

By now we already know that Immigration makes your life difficult because they want you to crack and go into this scheme. First it was good for freelancers, now it's good for everybody. Pensioneers not looking for "hassle" included.

I have the money, but purely out of concept i do see it as blackmail, so I'll pass.

But I do wish the best of luck to the existing members.

• Like 1

I do realise that keeping this thread up is only more free advertising for you. Even negative advertising is still advertising.

By now we already know that Immigration makes your life difficult because they want you to crack and go into this scheme. First it was good for freelancers, now it's good for everybody. Pensioneers not looking for "hassle" included.

I have the money, but purely out of concept i do see it as blackmail, so I'll pass.

But I do wish the best of luck to the existing members.

Indeed, every negative post is helping create awareness about the program.

Each groundless assumption, critic, speculation, or even rumor is an occasion for members to come up with the actual facts.

But, of course, Thailand Elite is not for everybody.

Convenience comes at a cost, and those who are not willing to pay for it can rely on the other cheaper options.

You may see Thailand Elite as a "blackmail", but I personally just see it as a service.

100,000b a year for that service, the advantages, the PE visa, the 1 year stamps, the smiles... is a very moderate financial contribution for what we get in exchange. In my own opinion, of course.

• Like 2

Yeah. It's not for everyone. You're right about that.

When Mr T, former prime minister launched this scheme back in 2003, the target was 1 million members paying 1 million baht each.

So he obviously thought it's for everybody.

In the end, 8 years later when the programme was stopped, it had 2500+ members and a loss of 1 billion baht.

People should google this more.

Not sure what the numbers are now, but I believe the new one sold something like 10 cards in the first 5 months.

And now it's being advertised as a perk for some condominiums in a heavily inflated real estate market.

Go figure.

• Like 1

Hello,

I hope you don´t mind me joining this discussion with a question that actually only shows that I am a lazy chap....

I am 47 years old, turning 48 in September, planning to "permanently" move to Thailand this May. I admit, I would love to join TE for convenience reasons so that as long as there are no major changes to the program I could avoid going on VISA runs every 3 months. But then again, this convenience comes at a price. And that´s also relative to what the alternatives of going for SETVs and visa runs will cost. And that´s my (lazy) question:

How much do you guys, who regularly have to go on runs around SEA, pay every year for your visa? I am aware that you can do it "the cheap way" and "the luxury way" depending on if you get in a van rather than fly, depending on if you stay in the cheapest place possible or an expensive hotel, depending on if you get re-entry permits etc etc. But it would still be very interesting for me to see what your personal "annual all-in costs" for your visa are. That might give me a sense of how much I personally will spend a year and then I could deduct that from the annual cost for TE.

Realistically, as I am still in Europe and can apply for the METV, I guess the most rational thing to do in my case would be to get the METV a few days before my flight to BKK giving me close to 9 months in TH and then start going for SETVs from there onwards till I turn 50 in 2 1/2 years. The combo of METV and SETV for the first 12 months would also give me plenty of time to learn if TH is really the place I want to live. So far, I´ve only had a 4 months stay at the end of last year, and I absolutely loved it, loved it, loved it. Hence, why I will now come over for longer...

Anyways, have a great weekend everyone!

DUS

Edited by DUS

A Vientiane cost me abt 8-10K, via Udon Thani route and hotel costing 1,500 baht per night (Khamvomgsa). Good french bakery included, not luxury but not Pad Thai on the street style either.

Ho Chi Min and the others would run a similar bill, maybe cheaper maybe more expensive.

6Kx4 = 24K

8K×4 = 32K

10Kx4 = 40K

Plus 1,900 baht extensions.

All in all between 32K and 48K with holidays included.

If you are a high spender I don't believe it's fair to include that into the annual visa cost, just because you want to splurge. People splurge on Elite as well. It's just they do it in Thailand.

PS: From Bangkok.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

The cost of a single visa run depends greatly on where you are traveling from and how much care you take in getting the cheapest tickets. For some destinations, your nationality is also important (for instance, Vietnam allows visa exempt entry for some but requires visas for others).

Going from Bangkok, looking to economize but still being comfortable, I would estimate

Penang : 7,000 - 9,000

HCMC 7,000 - 9,000

Vientiane 6,000 - 8,000

Savannakhet 6,000 - 8,000

From Chiang Mai, generally a little more.

If you did six per year that would be about 45,000 baht. If you did four per year with extensions, it is about 38,000 per year. This is a slight underestimate because a year has more than 356 days.

I believe most people will make the occasional mistake and spend a bit more.

• Like 2

Oh man, the topic of TE will never fail to attract *********************.

I guess, TE for 99.999% of its members isn´t about saving money but about convenience only. If your highest priority is to save money (or having to save money because otherwise you cannot afford living abroad) then TE, I am quite sure, isn´t the best place to look at. Simple as that.

Edited by DUS

I guess, TE for 99.999% of its members isn´t about saving money but about convenience only. If your highest priority is to save money (or having to save money because otherwise you cannot afford living abroad) then TE, I am quite sure, isn´t the best place to look at. Simple as that.

You are right, the Thai Elite visa is about convenience and not having to be constantly under scrutiny by people checking your finances etc. It is about sound of mind. The rest are just perks that some may take advantage of, but most probably don't other than the odd limo from the airport or if you are in Bangkok having your 90 day reporting done for you.

There are real savings, but typically you only really add those up when you are trying to justify the costs of the visa over the 5 years. The average long stay person probably spends much more money than they realize trying to stay legal - especially if you are flying in and out then getting a hotel for a night or two etc. Can you do the same for less - probably, but often when I book I book hotels that I feel reasonably comfortable in - not backpacker havens etc.

I find it funny that when people post how it is worthwhile to them - there are many that chime in and say how it is such a horrible option and it is too expensive (for them) and if it is too expensive for them then it can't be for anyone else.... I just filter those people out of the conversation automatically since there are many envious people that whenever someone else can afford something they feel they cannot they feel the need to attack and discourage.

Each individual has to realistically evaluate what the program is to them, what there real life costs are, what their real life savings would be and what the convenience is worth. Then they have to figure out if they can afford the upfront cost - because after you have paid that you basically forget stuff like that - because it is no longer an issue.

I personally believe that the most valuable privilege of being a member of Thailand Elite is the "peace of mind" that their service and the visa provide.

Without Thailand Elite I would never have stayed in Thailand (13 years ago).

We constantly read rather horrible stories about the other visa options, headaches in getting extensions, fake students trying to get ED visas, pensioners with the wrong paperwork, "tourists" being interrogated by immigration, visa runners not getting their visa, people who created a fake company getting into trouble because of nominees, overstayers who completely disregarded the law until now... Not the type of life I dream of.

I would never have stayed in Thailand if I had to go through all the troubles I see others go through.

For someone like me (and around 3000 other members), Thailand Elite is a gift of God.

Most of the 'horrible' problems you describe others(a minority) suffering are, generally speaking,entirely self inflicted.

I and many others have lived here for a long time without any difficulty or 'horrible' experience, it has done easily and without the need for an Elite visa.smile.png

You are right, the Thai Elite visa is about convenience and not having to be constantly under scrutiny by people checking your finances etc. It is about sound of mind. The rest are just perks that some may take advantage of, but most probably don't other than the odd limo from the airport or if you are in Bangkok having your 90 day reporting done for you.

There are real savings, but typically you only really add those up when you are trying to justify the costs of the visa over the 5 years. The average long stay person probably spends much more money than they realize trying to stay legal - especially if you are flying in and out then getting a hotel for a night or two etc. Can you do the same for less - probably, but often when I book I book hotels that I feel reasonably comfortable in - not backpacker havens etc.

I find it funny that when people post how it is worthwhile to them - there are many that chime in and say how it is such a horrible option and it is too expensive (for them) and if it is too expensive for them then it can't be for anyone else.... I just filter those people out of the conversation automatically since there are many envious people that whenever someone else can afford something they feel they cannot they feel the need to attack and discourage.

Each individual has to realistically evaluate what the program is to them, what there real life costs are, what their real life savings would be and what the convenience is worth. Then they have to figure out if they can afford the upfront cost - because after you have paid that you basically forget stuff like that - because it is no longer an issue.

I personally believe that the most valuable privilege of being a member of Thailand Elite is the "peace of mind" that their service and the visa provide.

We constantly read rather horrible stories about the other visa options, headaches in getting extensions, fake students trying to get ED visas, pensioners with the wrong paperwork, "tourists" being interrogated by immigration, visa runners not getting their visa, people who created a fake company getting into trouble because of nominees, overstayers who completely disregarded the law until now... Not the type of life I dream of.

I would never have stayed in Thailand if I had to go through all the troubles I see others go through.

For someone like me (and around 3000 other members), Thailand Elite is a gift of God.

Most of the 'horrible' problems you describe others(a minority) suffering are, generally speaking,entirely self inflicted.

I and many others have lived here for a long time without any difficulty or 'horrible' experience, it has done easily and without the need for an Elite visa.smile.png

I agree with you that some of the problems may be self inflicted.

On the other side, what you may willingly have to cope with for your chosen option may seem horrible to me.

You should try the Thailand Elite option to see how it is :)

Edited by gerry1011

On the other side, what you may willingly have to cope with for your chosen option may seem horrible to me.

You should try the Thailand Elite option to see how it is smile.png

I assume you don't plan to be dead in 7 years.... what are your plans post Elite visa? At 13 years, there would be part of me beginning to think - ok, now what :P

You should try the Thailand Elite option to see how it is smile.png

I assume you don't plan to be dead in 7 years.... what are your plans post Elite visa? At 13 years, there would be part of me beginning to think - ok, now what :P

Oh thank you so much to worry for me.

But you don't have to :)

I became member at the time the membership was lifetime for only a million.

Then members were offered to keep going with the "founders card", or switch to the 20 years card (which comes with the super convenient 1 year stamp). I did convert to the new card.

So, I guess I must have about another 18 years to go.

So, no worries :)

But thank a lot for your concern anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

First post on these boards although been a member a while and read the posts everyday.

I have been travelling to Thailand 3 times a year and sometimes more since 1991. This year I am 58 and will move to Thailand completely in late November. At 58 years old, money from my house sale, boat and other things in the bank plus a retirement income of over 120,000bt a month means I very easily have the funds to qualify for a retirement extension. Do I want to have the hassle of paper work and the need to keep 800,000 bt in some bank account or the need to be proving retirement income and then at the end of the year go through the same thing again? Add too that, I fish in Burma, the Andaman Islands and have friends in Malaysia and Singapore who I will visit and fish with on a regular basis. For me, the TE programme is absolutely perfect and a no brainer! No need to be reporting in out every time I want to leave the country. No questioning and time wasted at Immigration. I am not moving to Thailand to have the same stresses in life which is now rampant in the UK. If I want that type of life, I may as well just stay here. I have looked hard and fail to see a downside to this programme. Yes, it costs but at the end of the day, which ever method you choose it will cost maybe not as much but you really cannot put a price on a hassle free life and peace of mind. That to me, is worth the fee alone.

Like everything in life, the knockers will knock something they can not afford or not want somebody else to have.

Thanks TE, it works for me.clap2.gif

If you are a boater...

The latest thing I suggested to Thailand Elite was to extend the assistance members can enjoy when entering and exiting the country to yachting, and provide the service at the marinas in Phuket.

They think about it... ;)

At the moment I use an agent each time we come back from Malaysia, but it would be good if TE can add this service... in style, as usual ;)

• Like 1

First post on these boards although been a member a while and read the posts everyday.

I have been travelling to Thailand 3 times a year and sometimes more since 1991. This year I am 58 and will move to Thailand completely in late November. At 58 years old, money from my house sale, boat and other things in the bank plus a retirement income of over 120,000bt a month means I very easily have the funds to qualify for a retirement extension. Do I want to have the hassle of paper work and the need to keep 800,000 bt in some bank account or the need to be proving retirement income and then at the end of the year go through the same thing again? Add too that, I fish in Burma, the Andaman Islands and have friends in Malaysia and Singapore who I will visit and fish with on a regular basis. For me, the TE programme is absolutely perfect and a no brainer! No need to be reporting in out every time I want to leave the country. No questioning and time wasted at Immigration. I am not moving to Thailand to have the same stresses in life which is now rampant in the UK. If I want that type of life, I may as well just stay here. I have looked hard and fail to see a downside to this programme. Yes, it costs but at the end of the day, which ever method you choose it will cost maybe not as much but you really cannot put a price on a hassle free life and peace of mind. That to me, is worth the fee alone.

Like everything in life, the knockers will knock something they can not afford or not want somebody else to have.

Thanks TE, it works for me.clap2.gif

If you are a boater...

The latest thing I suggested to Thailand Elite was to extend the assistance members can enjoy when entering and exiting the country to yachting, and provide the service at the marinas in Phuket.

They think about it... wink.png

At the moment I use an agent each time we come back from Malaysia, but it would be good if TE can add this service... in style, as usual wink.png

Sounds like a great idea. That would only help to enhance the programme. biggrin.png

• Like 1

I feel sorry for those who go through all sorts of visa problems because of a lack of funds. But for the others, Thailand Elite is certainly the most convenient solution.

The same way I try and "filter out" all the te cheerleaders.

To me sending 500,000 on a visa is poor value. Kinda like throwing money in the garbage.

I don't go through any problems because I don't have this visa. Maybe if I get older or my situation changes I may consider this visa one day...but as if now to me it remains an extremely poor value.

I feel sorry for those who go through all sorts of visa problems because of a lack of funds. But for the others, Thailand Elite is certainly the most convenient solution.

The same way I try and "filter out" all the te cheerleaders.

To me sending 500,000 on a visa is poor value. Kinda like throwing money in the garbage.

I don't go through any problems because I don't have this visa. Maybe if I get older or my situation changes I may consider this visa one day...but as of now to me it remains an extremely poor value.

The Elite Visa still requires the member to pay 1900 baht once every year for a one year extension. Isn't that the same that a person would pay if he was retired and applying to extend his stay based on retirement? Both still have to do 90 day reporting (granted the Elite visa will handle that in Bangkok and apparently a few other places). But one doesn't have to leave Thailand for any reason if staying on for retirement. One doesn't have to make visa runs. Looks like the Elite Visa will make it a bit easier to travel in and out of the country, but even if on a retirement extension one could just get a re-entry permit or perhaps have paid 5,000 Baht in advance for multiple entries. To me that seems like a convenience fee. Sure there is more paperwork with something like a retirement extension (I would be doing retirement by the monthly income affidavit method). As much as I like convenience, I guess I will wait and see how I feel financially in the next two years. Obviously if a person is under 50 years old, the Elite could be a great method.

• Like 1

The Elite Visa still requires the member to pay 1900 baht once every year for a one year extension. Isn't that the same that a person would pay if he was retired and applying to extend his stay based on retirement? Both still have to do 90 day reporting (granted the Elite visa will handle that in Bangkok and apparently a few other places). But one doesn't have to leave Thailand for any reason if staying on for retirement. One doesn't have to make visa runs. Looks like the Elite Visa will make it a bit easier to travel in and out of the country, but even if on a retirement extension one could just get a re-entry permit or perhaps have paid 5,000 Baht in advance for multiple entries. To me that seems like a convenience fee. Sure there is more paperwork with something like a retirement extension (I would be doing retirement by the monthly income affidavit method). As much as I like convenience, I guess I will wait and see how I feel financially in the next two years. Obviously if a person is under 50 years old, the Elite could be a great method.

Unless a PE visa holder didn't leave the country for a year there would be no need to apply for an extension. Every time they enter the country they get a new one year permit to stay.

• Like 1

You are right, Thailand Elite is about convenience.

It makes everything much easier and makes your stay in Thailand trouble free when it comes to immigration and visa issues. You should give it a try...

• Like 1