Phuket bypass traffic hell about to get even worse

webfact

Can an engineer tell us why they never considered fly-overs? They are not more expensive surely?

Because it would block the view of all the beautiful billboards.

Because underpass is much more expensive = much (much) more tea money.

LIK has the correct answer, although the powers that be can't say that, so they said they built this way to be aesthetically pleasing.

Can an engineer tell us why they never considered fly-overs? They are not more expensive surely?

I was wondering the same thing while sitting in traffic just north of the Samkong intersection today.

What's not clear to me, is how anyone will be able to make the required U-Turns in the new configuration. Keep in mind that both the north and southbound traffic is backed up for hundreds of meters from the intersection at many times of the day. How will one be able to make the U-Turn into the north or southbound lanes that are already choked with traffic at a standstill?

Perhaps there is a silver lining in that both north & south bound traffic will be able to move continuously at the same time considering there will be no east west traffic to halt the flow.

• Like 2

Perhaps there is a silver lining in that both north & south bound traffic will be able to move continuously at the same time considering there will be no east west traffic to halt the flow.

I expect this is exactly the reason for the change. Assuming the traffic lights are switched off. Should be a very major improvement to north/south flow.

I expect this is exactly the reason for the change. Assuming the traffic lights are switched off. Should be a very major improvement to north/south flow.

Except for all the U-turning traffic joining the north and south flowing traffic.

Those U-turns may even be made into two lanes to allow the U-turners to turn quicker and allow more bike riders to be splatted by semi-blind pickup and truck drivers.

Except for all the U-turning traffic joining the north and south flowing traffic.

Those U-turns may even be made into two lanes to allow the U-turners to turn quicker and allow more bike riders to be splatted by semi-blind pickup and truck drivers.

i was wondering about this too. my guess is they'll put light in anyhow for the u turners like on the main road between town and heroines monument

i was wondering about this too. my guess is they'll put light in anyhow for the u turners like on the main road between town and heroines monument

Sorry, I don't understand, which U-turners?

Traffic trying to go east/west will have to turn their respective left and then execute a u-turn on the north/south highway to continue their journey. So, there is a valid concern that those u-turners could cause an accident. I don't see a problem if police place filter lane traffic cones on the north/south highway, much like they do on the main airport road.

Traffic trying to go east/west will have to turn their respective left and then execute a u-turn on the north/south highway to continue their journey. So, there is a valid concern that those u-turners could cause an accident. I don't see a problem if police place filter lane traffic cones on the north/south highway, much like they do on the main airport road.
Thanks, but I don't understand the connection between the u-turns, which will be a bit away from the intersection, and the traffic lights at the intersection.

Drove through the new configuration on Sunday morning. The traffic was very light at the time, but as mentioned above, seemed to be very smooth. There are dedicated U-Turn lanes in both directions, which help a lot. My only concern is at the intersection itself, where eastbound traffic merges into the southbound traffic. The southbound lane(s) seem to be very narrow at that point, which might cause some backing up with the eastbound traffic trying to merge in. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Motorbikes have already found shortcuts to make their U-Turns 100 meters or so before the actual U-Turn spaces.

They should have thought of this years ago & saved a bunch of money by not having to build an underpass. This morning at 9.30 & later coming back was able to drive straight through. There was no lineup of traffic on all 4 sides. There were no problems for the U turners as the police had the cones nicely in place. U turn on the north side was by Kee Hin which made a lot more sense than doing it at Thanachart where the road is much more narrow.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

How is the traffic flow East/West - Kathu/Phuket Town ?

There are no line ups on every side of the intersection. All traffic flowing smoothly. Could have saved 100s of millions by just blocking the east - west & having traffic go up the road to do a U turn. Could also have saved a few lives as well.

How is the traffic flow East/West - Kathu/Phuket Town ?

There are no line ups on every side of the intersection. All traffic flowing smoothly. Could have saved 100s of millions by just blocking the east - west & having traffic go up the road to do a U turn. Could also have saved a few lives as well.

I find it interesting that ThePhuketNews radio station has been critical of this new traffic flow procedure. I listened to the radio station bemoaning how long it would take them to get to Lotus from their office on the other side of the highway.

Personally I thought the new traffic flow would be good for the local community.

Drove through the new configuration on Sunday morning. The traffic was very light at the time, but as mentioned above, seemed to be very smooth. There are dedicated U-Turn lanes in both directions, which help a lot. My only concern is at the intersection itself, where eastbound traffic merges into the southbound traffic. The southbound lane(s) seem to be very narrow at that point, which might cause some backing up with the eastbound traffic trying to merge in. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Motorbikes have already found shortcuts to make their U-Turns 100 meters or so before the actual U-Turn spaces.

I knew that would happen! biggrin.png