Tax on Inbound Intl EMS and Normal Post

Chao Lao Beach

Registered Airmail as far as I know is not generally stopped, EMS and Courier like DHL etc will be stopped EVERY time, the tax/duty is assessed in Bangkok and sent with the parcel to the Post office in the province, you will have to collect the parcel and pay any "extras" before receiving the parcel. If courier like UPS or DHL, they will want payment on delivery also.

• Like 1

Yes, but documents dont usually carry a tax as its only paper.

lol....that one was funny...

The tax , i have found is 17% of the total, which includes the freight cost...

I.E...17% of $500 for goods, plus 17% of freight $200, = 17% of $700.

Correct, the class/category does make a difference to the duty charged. Its goods value + shipping+ duty+VAT = Total

There is a "duty calculator" available on the net, just google "duty calculator" and enter the details for a good guide price as to the duty %

EMS is almost never stopped even if some ridiculous people think that they are always stopped.

I receive more than 100 parcels a years and less than 5 where stopped by customs.

But maybe some people know better than me or just pretend, I agree.

The customs are on a little roll at present. I receive a lot of items by EMS and previously most went through the system with no issue. The last few have started to get hit with a 300- 600 baht charge.

Some of my items is also sent by registered and they have also been hit with some charges, previously I never had these charges.

Any items sent by courier can be a major issue as every single one appears to be checked, apart from documents.

• Like 1

So people still don't know that it is not customs who check courier companies parcels but companies themselves ?

This is the reason why they are allowed to deliver parcels faster, they work for customs departments all over the world !

So of course never use couriers but EMS is still not a problem for us,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Registered Airmail as far as I know is not generally stopped, EMS and Courier like DHL etc will be stopped EVERY time, the tax/duty is assessed in Bangkok and sent with the parcel to the Post office in the province, you will have to collect the parcel and pay any "extras" before receiving the parcel. If courier like UPS or DHL, they will want payment on delivery also.

Just had a DHL parcel delivered this morning with no tax/duty asked. The supplier had put on the shipping document 'Gift for camping' (this was from a major supplier as well!).

That is the first time I have got away with it. Oh, and the cost including shipping was just over $100 US, this was for two knives.

Yes, but documents dont usually carry a tax as its only paper.

lol....that one was funny...

The tax , i have found is 17% of the total, which includes the freight cost...

I.E...17% of $500 for goods, plus 17% of freight $200, = 17% of $700.

And any insurance cost is taxed I believe.

EMS is almost never stopped even if some ridiculous people think that they are always stopped.

I receive more than 100 parcels a years and less than 5 where stopped by customs.

But maybe some people know better than me or just pretend, I agree.

Another sweeping generalization from a know-it-all who pretends to know better than everyone?

I receive more than 10 parcels a year and EVERY ONE gets checked by Customs and the assessed duty needs to be paid before I receive them.

Maybe you need to consider that not everyone is shipping exactly the same stuff that you are?

It is fallacy to claim that EMS and international inbound package mail is subject to less scrutiny. Unless one is in the habit of making false declarations then you are only extending the odds of getting caught. If one is making truthful declarations, there's no need for any packages to get 'stopped'.

• Like 1

Sorry if I m being a bit dim but why the hell do they charge tax on the cost of shipping the item to Thailand when that is a fee that is paid outside the country ?

Its an import Tax/duty, the amount paid when sending is for shipping.

WeeGee, do you mind sharing type of goods, I do believe it depends on the category of stuff.

smile.png

Most stuff I get in is for use on tractors or mowers...Parts you cant buy here. i have gone into detail with it down at Customs where i pick stuff up from...and thats how it works for me....

Really surprised today got my package by normal air mail and it wasn't stopped or charged.

Usually I get everything by USPS Express/Global Priority and get hammered.

Edited by ATF

Really surprised today got my package by normal air mail and it wasn't stopped or charged.

Usually I get everything by USPS Express/Global Priority and get hammered.

Yeah it happens....Not sure of this but...I believe, if the value is under a thousand baht, there is no tax....but dont quote me!!!

• Like 1