Oxford Forum

Mossfinn

Are you going away to Exeter tonight moss? my boss has just left about five minutes ago, I wanted to go but i had to stay and hold the fort.

Goodluck to the lads anyway!!

Wembley here we come,

Hopefully :o

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you going away to Exeter tonight moss?

'Fraid not Mark, had a friend over from the U.S so their was a bit of a gathering of old friends, didn't even know the result till this morning. :D

However Report Here

Nearly there :o I hope I am not being to premature!

Hope your right TP

Good Luck

Moss

Good luck Oxford. I had some good trips down to the old Manor Ground watching Sunderland. Funny little ground with about 19 different stands and the narrowest of narrow alleys leading down to the away end.

Yeah, I've had some good memories of the Manor, watching the away fans getting drenched in their cover-less stand being one of them! It did resemble a bike shed though and, you're right, it had a whole load of stands just lumped together. Certainly had character!

6 corners in a row and a goal disallowed, all to Exeter, but to no avail, Odubade has just made it 1-0.

As the commentator has just reminded everybody, all we need now is a Kevin Brock back pass :o

Moss

Fall-out begins as U's and Jim look at their futures

The fall-out has begun immediately after Oxford United's dramatic and heartbreaking play-off exit last night - with jobs being axed.

The size of the playing squad is likely to be reduced dramatically from what it might have been had the U's gone on to win promotion.

And manager Jim Smith says he is not sure of his own future.

He appeared to be looking for time to think it over before deciding whether to remain for another year.

After the game, Smith said: "Not only have we lost a game tonight, we've lost a hel_l of a lot of money, so that will obviously make life difficult for signing certain players.

"Things are going to have to change because we can't afford to go to the level we were at this season. Well, we're not allowed to - never mind whether we can afford it or not.

"Obviously there will be people that lose their jobs tonight.

"I don't know about whether I'll be continuing (as manager). I'll sit down with Nick (Merry), we'll have a good old chat, and we'll go from there."

Many United fans were left in tears as they saw their team crash out in the play-off semi-final second leg, losing to Exeter 4-3 in a see-saw penalty shoot-out after the Grecians had overturned a first-leg deficit.

It means another season of Conference football next year, except that it will be called the Blue Square Premier.

In truth, several Oxford players let the supporters down badly last night by failing to deal with the occasion.

Assistant manager Darren Patterson, who could well take over from Smith if he decides to step down, said: "We were not good enough on the night, it's as simple as that."

Dismal!

The oxford mail

Edited by markr

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I'll be in the UK in a couple of months. My son's football crazy and the wife (Thai) has expressed an interest in seeing some games. So being an Oxford fan (yes - another one in Bangkok, go figure) there's only one place to take them. But I've never been to the new ground - I've been in Thailand a long time and only visit England in the summer. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like in terms of atmosphere, and what would be a good part of the ground for us? Any other tips would be gratefully recieved, too. This is a matter of the greatest urgency as my son is turning into a Man. Utd. supporter, and he must be turned from the dark side soon.

Thanks.

Hopefully I'll be in the UK in a couple of months. My son's football crazy and the wife (Thai) has expressed an interest in seeing some games. So being an Oxford fan (yes - another one in Bangkok, go figure) there's only one place to take them. But I've never been to the new ground - I've been in Thailand a long time and only visit England in the summer. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's like in terms of atmosphere, and what would be a good part of the ground for us? Any other tips would be gratefully recieved, too. This is a matter of the greatest urgency as my son is turning into a Man. Utd. supporter, and he must be turned from the dark side soon.

Thanks.

I'll be perfectly honest Toasted, I have never watched Football there, only at the Manor, I have seen Rugby Union and the atmosphere was pretty good, although I would suggest not as good as the old days.

Since Merry and what has conspired the sleeping partner Lenighan has appeared some of the crowds were pretty impressive and at one stage they had something like all the best home crowds in the division and including some away games because they have a good away support.

At one stage, their crowds were equalling or bettering the division above.

As for the part of the ground, I will check in later in the week when I am back at work, as there are a couple of season ticket holders there.

Nearer the time I can give you more answers, are you going to be driving, are you going for a beer first, where to park, not the biggest car park in the world or do you know the area?

Good Luck

Moss

Thanks for the reply Moss. I'd heard that we were getting some pretty impressive crowds for home games. We're probably going to need the money if we're going to escape the ignomony of the conference. We'll be coming from Cheltenham, so the train's convenient, and I can have a beer before/after. On the other hand, it could well be by car. The wife drives so I can still have a pint, and if she can manage the Bangkok rush hour, she should be ok on the A40/M40. I don't know the area very well as it used to be so easy to get to The Manor Ground from the east when I was living in Henley before. I'm eagerly awaiting your info.

I don't know the area very well as it used to be so easy to get to The Manor Ground from the east when I was living in Henley before. I'm eagerly awaiting your info.

Not as easy as it was for me, I used to live right next door to it, before it went from being the Manor Ground to the Manor Hospital.

By train it can be a little convoluted, because I don't think they do a shuttle, but I can check.

If driving, it is a walk in the park, but from what I have heard, you have to get there early.

Moss

• 2 weeks later...