Khao Yai National Park visitor honks at elephant, gets car thrashed

Lite Beer

"Tourist" doesn't automatically mean "Farang". Almost everybody who is visiting a National Park is a tourist.

My guess: it was a Thai tourist. But why not a farang ? There are many idiots among us farangs, no doubt.

Registration number plate should be sufficient to find out who was the driver. What ? Thais don't do such things ?

Mitsubishi guy was lucky it was still a young, not even half grown, elephant.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

More people die each year from elephant attack than any other species, approx 500 people world wide per year....

Hmmm where is this data from... snakes kill 50000+, scorpions about 2000, crocs about 2000 tsetse about 300000-400000 and mosquito about 1M+ albeit I will acknowledge that its not the bite that kills you rather whats in the mosquitos saliva,

totally agree with you. You did forget hippos as well, they are extremely dangerous animals. However it is only the female mosquito too goes for blood as the young need that. The male will drink water. Just a bit of information

More people die each year from elephant attack than any other species, approx 500 people world wide per year....

Hmmm where is this data from... snakes kill 50000+, scorpions about 2000, crocs about 2000 tsetse about 300000-400000 and mosquito about 1M+ albeit I will acknowledge that its not the bite that kills you rather whats in the mosquitos saliva,

Isn't that the case for snakes (venomous) and scorpions too? Most people can fend off a charging scorpion and they don't get that angry when you beep a horn at them.

Mosquito's kill 1 million, tsetse files kill 400,000, snakes kill 50,000, scorpions kill 5000, hippos kill 3000, crocodiles kill 2000.

You omitted bacteria and viruses which kill many more but while we're being daft, mosquitos and tsetse files[sic] don't kill anyone, they might transmit diseases but they don't physically kill people.

The list I posted was just animals, as far as I know there are currently no viruses which kill as many as mosquito's, there are bacterias though, e coli and tuberculosis could top the list as both are estimated at over 1 million each.

About a year ago, I visited a wild elephant preserve near the Burmese border (Kurabiri, I think).

We wound up surrounded by elephants on all sides at one point, and (after they finally moved on), one came from the side of the road and charged us, no idea why (we did not honk or make any other noise). Maybe he was just having a bad day. Anyhow, the park ranger with us had to fire into the air to scare him off.

I never appreciated before just how dangerous a wild elephant can be. It was impressive.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Unfortunately for you it was a foreigner driving the vehicle - as reported by TV news.

Was it a farang?

If it was, many of the posters on this thread are going to look clueless.

How? If you read the OP and visit the linked article this information isn't there. It simply states "tourist". The detail that it was a "foreigner" comes from other sources that aren't linked. That isn't clueless, that is not being informed. In this situation it is not likely anybody would have taken the time to be informed because there are bigger fish to fry out there in the world. This would have been, back in the days before 24 hour news and the internet, a glorious dead donkey.

Please explain the difference between being 'clueless' and 'not being informed'

Unfortunately for you it was a foreigner driving the vehicle - as reported by TV news.

Was it a farang?

How? If you read the OP and visit the linked article this information isn't there. It simply states "tourist". The detail that it was a "foreigner" comes from other sources that aren't linked. That isn't clueless, that is not being informed. In this situation it is not likely anybody would have taken the time to be informed because there are bigger fish to fry out there in the world. This would have been, back in the days before 24 hour news and the internet, a glorious dead donkey.

Please explain the difference between being 'clueless' and 'not being informed'

Clueless has a negative connotation of ineptitude.

This really has been the most tedious thread I've read on this forum for some time. Especially when one considers that it stems from such a minor incident. But I will pick up on one point. Someone suggested, erroneously, that the elephant, at 500, kills more people, per year than any other species.

Consider this. In November last year, Jihadist killed over 5,000 people. 5,000 in one month! This takes no account of all the other killings that have taken place, on the planet, during the same period.

So, which is the most dangerous species on this plant?

Notice that the Thai newspaper pointed out that it was not just a park visitor or customer, but a "foreign tourist."

Not that I can see. The only time foreign is mentioned on this page is your post and this reply.

Thailand has been seriously pushing domestic tourism this year and is now considering anybody more than 3m from their house as a tourist.

channel 3 news reported "foreign tourist" if he is wait till he takes the vehicle back.w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh dear! Might get lucky, might have purchased complete cover....

Complete cover does not often include single vehicle accidents in Rental.

Notice that the Thai newspaper pointed out that it was not just a park visitor or customer, but a "foreign tourist."

i bet i can guess where from

Are you guessing Chinese?

I doubt it... not that many Chinese tourists driving pickup trucks here.

More likely a farang jai-rawn.

Caused Thai ppl are not offensive and do such things.cheesy.gif

Not that I can see. The only time foreign is mentioned on this page is your post and this reply.

Thailand has been seriously pushing domestic tourism this year and is now considering anybody more than 3m from their house as a tourist.

channel 3 news reported "foreign tourist" if he is wait till he takes the vehicle back.w00t.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh dear! Might get lucky, might have purchased complete cover....

Complete cover does not often include single vehicle accidents in Rental.

Latest news: "Tourist" seen registering elephant at DLT.

• Like 1

Was it a farang?

According to last nights news it was a farang. 5555

Russian?

Fro me is a russian not a farang in general more a nationality, caused of a lot of diff. races in russia.

Sorry, lil f/c, not even close.

A very tiny animal, the itty bitty mosquito has that "honor". Hundreds of thousands of people die every year from diseases spread by mosquitoes, and it appears to be becoming worse!

Mosquito is an insect not an animal...

Mosquitos and Elephants are both animals, but belonging to diff. groups.

Mosquitos beloning to insects.

Elephants to the Mammal group like Homo Sapiens too.

totally agree with you. You did forget hippos as well, they are extremely dangerous animals. However it is only the female mosquito too goes for blood as the young need that. The male will drink water. Just a bit of information

For me are females the most dangerous animals on planet a kind of blood sucking insects.whistling.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif