Chiang Mai Zoo welcomes new sun bear cub

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai Zoo welcomes new sun bear cub

CHIANG MAI, 3 January 2015 (NNT) – Visitors at Chiang Mai Zoo can now experience the sight of a newly born sun bear cub, while the zoo is planning to hold the bear cub's naming contest.

A 3-month old sun bear cub is now open to be seen by the public at the Chiang Mai Zoo after the mother bear decided to take the cub out of the cave for the first time. Many people have visited the zoo to see the cub.

Chiang Mai Zoo Director Kanchai Sanwong and the Assistant Director Niphon Vichairat has continued to observe the bear display area to see the health conditions of the mother bear and the cub.

The cub, which still has not been named, was mothered by Nan, a 10-year old female sun bear, and fathered by Balu, a 12-year old male sun bear at Chiang Mai Zoo.

The Chiang Mai Zoo Director said that sun bears are listed under the protected animals list because it is difficult for them to reproduce and they have been widely hunted.

He said that this is a very special occasion that the mother bear decided to bring her cub out into the open, as most mother bears are usually overprotective of her first cub and will not allow anyone to get near.

For this occasion, the Chiang Mai Zoo will be holding the naming contest for the cub, allowing the public to send their choices of names. The Zoo will use the winning name in this contest.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-03 footer_n.gif

...and no doubt they'll be charging an extra entrance fee to see the bear and probably want to charge a fee for all name suggestions. I've never come across a place that charges so many ' entrance ' fees

Do you truly enjoy criticizing everything ? Now the zoo for heavens sake !

• Like 1

...and no doubt they'll be charging an extra entrance fee to see the bear and probably want to charge a fee for all name suggestions. I've never come across a place that charges so many ' entrance ' fees

Not to mention the possibility that after you pay and enter to see the baby, it's only viewable from overhead monitors. At least that was the case for me when I went to see the baby Panda. It was somewhat disappointing. Hope this is better.

Criticize everything ? No, only the rip-off way the Chiang Mai Zoo charge extra for anything worth seeing AFTER you have paid the zoo entry fee

Criticize everything ? No, only the rip-off way the Chiang Mai Zoo charge extra for anything worth seeing AFTER you have paid the zoo entry fee

Went last saturday and noticed they doubled the entrance fee from about a year ago, now 100 baht thai/foreigners resident adult. Not for me, but i think start to be pricey for the thais....