Hooters opening in Pattaya!

MZurf

It is perfectly possible to employ Russians. Her job title in her WP will not be waitress. Her declared salary will be higher then that of a Thai.

She/they could in fact be Thai. Thai's do marry outside their country etc.. We also don't understand why you think her declared salary will be higher than the Thai workers? There are many ways around the minimum requirements salary wise when hiring foreigners. She could in fact be a translator or teacher making less than a genuine Thai hooker.

Hooters - not wanted not needed in Pattaya or anywhere in Thailand - They are opening one on the site of the Golden Bar at the Nana Hotel - why? It was a a great busy bar. Hooters has awful food - mind numbing drum and bass music and tedious sports on giant screens. What's the point? Anodyne, commercial - vacuous. If people really want this McDonald's experience they should stay at home

The Hooters located at the Nana Hotel has already opened. See my post # 309. Now the old drunks that used to sit at the Nana bar can sit at Hooters. Other then yourself who else has said Hooters is "not wanted not needed in Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand"? I and many other think they will be a welcomed addition to the Pattaya scene. If you don't care for the place then don't go to it. My guess is you are more the Soi Bukhao type.

thumbsup.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There aren't enough American expats and tourists in Pattaya to be even 10 percent of the Hooters customer base. But I agree there is a market for it among many different nationalities that are here in abundance. I also agree it's an embarrassingly crass business concept. Embarrassing because ill informed foreigners think that kind of thing represents American culture but it only represents one part of it. But it works for them ... so if people are willing to pay for that, don't see the harm. Also people don't go everyday to places like Hooters like some do to McDonalds so the unhealthy junk food aspect isn't really serious either.

Edited by Jingthing

I assume Hooters would likely discriminate against them in hiring. It's not what the customer base expects anyway. There are other places to go.

No self-respecting ladyboy lover would be caught dead eating in such a tacky hetero-normative establishment. I assume it's would go for gays as well but i'm only maybe a quarter qualified to comment on that.

• Like 1

No self-respecting ladyboy lover would be caught dead eating in such a tacky hetero-normative establishment. I assume it's would go for gays as well but i'm only maybe a quarter qualified to comment on that.

Maybe you should get over yourself.

Go have a burger and fries and not read to much into everything, coffee1.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I am going to have to say this is the best burger I have ever had in Thailand. All amerian restaurant 2nd and pastrami on rye I would give 3rd. I'v not been to a hooters back in the states since moving over here 15 years ago but the wings tasted the same as I remember. I got the spicy which is not really spicy at all but they were excellent, The spicy wings at NY pizza are great also and much cheaper as that family is from of up state NY so they know buffalo wings. Cheese burger 490b wings 410b sales tax and 10% service added to bill.

The Hostest told me they have 7 female Russian staff working there.

post-72597-0-13609200-1451847808_thumb.j

• Like 1

A burger 490 + 7% + 10%. = $16US. Imported beef? I guess patrons are paying for the Russian eye candy. I can't imagine they come cheap, probably paid more than the Thai girls. Still, it looks like a busy place. I think its attraction has to be it's "just like back home."

• Like 2

.. its designed for white conservative americans who are scared to go to other bars. It will be popular with Indian and Arabs for the same reason McDonalds is popular.

Indian dudes would probably love to sit there, but menu are posted outside at entrance, they'd be like 'What is this strange number next to Singha, what is this 160, everybody knows beer costs 39 baht!', And they turn around.

I walk by there several times every evening, it's tourists who sit there, and looks semi buzy. It is a mystery why people choose to go there. Could it be cos of the tasty junk food? And good location, but there many, many places on Beach Rd if you like to sit by the sea and watch people.

• Like 1

A burger 490 + 7% + 10%. = $16US. Imported beef? I guess patrons are paying for the Russian eye candy. I can't imagine they come cheap, probably paid more than the Thai girls. Still, it looks like a busy place. I think its attraction has to be it's "just like back home."

That is about 22 AUD. Heck add a drink and it is 30AUD for a fast food fix.bah.gif

• Like 1

Moonseeker, the Hooter's bosses should hand you $10,000US to clean the place up. Seriously.

From the video, not a single greeter or staffer near the front. Could see the heads of two staffers rushing to tables but it looks woefully under-staffed, as you say. These stories are legion in Pattaya and Thailand in general, but I know two restaurants that suffered because of lack of staff: one had to close (Darkside fast-food place with long thread on Pattaya subforum) and another had to close down morning operations and open mid-afternoon. Another way around it seems to be to hire only Cambodia/Burmese staff. A friend owns and runs a small but respected Japanese bar/resto on soi 33 Bangkok. All Burmese and all with proper work permits. She has no staffing problems. Ahem . . .

• Like 1

Moonseeker, the Hooter's bosses should hand you $10,000US to clean the place up. Seriously.

From the video, not a single greeter or staffer near the front. Could see the heads of two staffers rushing to tables but it looks woefully under-staffed, as you say. These stories are legion in Pattaya and Thailand in general, but I know two restaurants that suffered because of lack of staff: one had to close (Darkside fast-food place with long thread on Pattaya subforum) and another had to close down morning operations and open mid-afternoon. Another way around it seems to be to hire only Cambodia/Burmese staff. A friend owns and runs a small but respected Japanese bar/resto on soi 33 Bangkok. All Burmese and all with proper work permits. She has no staffing problems. Ahem . . .

I go to a restaurant in Bangkok where the waiting staff are Cambodian, you can certainly notice the difference in attitude and English skills

• Like 2

Thank you kindly. It sure itches, every-time I see & observe start-ups.

It takes a few hours to assess the most pressing problems and probably 2 days of observing the operation and get familiarized with HOOTERS policies. These problems are soooooo....common here in Thailand especially in Pattaya, but also in other countries, when people dream of easy success. It takes forever to establish a good team and you will still have almost daily surprises here.

I did not expect this to happen @ HOOTERS, just thought they are prepared for "Thai-ways". But even some BIG name industrial companies struggled to establish functioning operations or gave up altogether. It is beyond me how investors can risk such huge amounts without understanding local culture and it's impact on business.

Thailand is the only country I have ever been to, where even the 2 or 3 major Fast-Food chains are a chaos & mess and I never ever get hot & crispy fries :-). Usually my order comes in installments 5 minutes and my appetite is gone and replaced by anger....until I try it again 6 months down the road.

First of all the need a Pro-Farang manager, actually 1 per shift with a track record and personality and experience as trouble-shooter in Thailand, who is willing to work more than any of the staff and put in 18- hour days.

I see many places in Phuket & down South hire almost exclusively young people from Burma. You recognize them immediately, they are friendly & smile, eager to serve & work and speak mostly reasonable E. Actually also Muslims from the South are showing a good work attitude, mainly in big hotels.

Not sure they fit HOOTERS criteria.....

Then they also need a couple of Thai-girls / fl. managers or why not a couple of gays who have more feel fort thsi kind of work here, who liaise directly with front & back staff, as a Farang will not succeed by himself. They got one little very dynamic waitress who seems made for this position. I even told her during my visit.

Hiring a GOOD band and a GREAT DJ, with a local following, able to get people rocking and feeling good can be a major asset during the hard beginning days. Why not use your DJ do make announcements, to apologize when staff is overloaded, run a few spontaneous specials, announce events, call some fun-people to try a free bull-ride, give out free wings to try (dress up a cook and send him out with the funniest waitress), hand out a shot-glass size "taster" of your daily special drink to people passing by the door girl, which by the way made a sour face as if she would rather see us turn-around, before we got in the other day...Russian? Blond..

People are willing to spend money, they are on vacation, they want to have fun and HOOTERS is to provide some of this package.

Personally I am against soft openings, unless guests are clearly told and fully understand and are able to profit from the "soft" i.e. with some freebies or major discounts. Why should they pay full price for half-ass-service and pay for the business-learning experience.Too much damage can be done. It is so hard to get a disappointed customer back in.

I believe HOOTERS can be a great addition to the Beach-Front and the more such destination places open up, the better. Pattaya is changing drastically and now more then ever the City should get their act together and start "guiding" the place in the right direction. Never have I seen a seafront more "mis-used" and neglected. This bay could be a dream-holiday place if........5555555......."Sorry, I was dreaming!"

Good luck HOOTERS. Make it happen, there is plenty of "us" out there, who would enjoy your bar. You sure picked one of the most difficult place to start a business like this. Good night.....MS>

Yup, it's the staff here, people won't take their job seriously, because it has never been expected from them.

Farang friendly managers? Very difficult task, unless they pay 5 star hotel salaries, it won't happen.

You mentioned posdibly hiring few gay guys, great idea, except even Boyztown businesses can't find good, reliable staff.

If I ran Hooters, I'd hire mostly ladyboys. They can extremely efficient and competent at customer service. They would bring in curious tourist, I'm convinced! One small issue tho, I'd have to pay them about 30.000 thb a month, anything less and they wouldn't bother working, they make more freelancing.

And we are back to staffing!

• Like 1

Yup, it's the staff here, people won't take their job seriously, because it has never been expected from them.

Farang friendly managers? Very difficult task, unless they pay 5 star hotel salaries, it won't happen.

You mentioned posdibly hiring few gay guys, great idea, except even Boyztown businesses can't find good, reliable staff.

If I ran Hooters, I'd hire mostly ladyboys. They can extremely efficient and competent at customer service. They would bring in curious tourist, I'm convinced! One small issue tho, I'd have to pay them about 30.000 thb a month, anything less and they wouldn't bother working, they make more freelancing.

And we are back to staffing!

Good idea! And it would create a huge PR for HOOTERS allover the world. Free! Good night for now. MS>

I'm surprised that they can hire farangs.Supposely taking away A job A Thai can do.I will definitely drop by.I don't care about the price of A cheeseburger if it rotate good.So I love looking at pretty

Women.So good for Hooters.

The noise from the place can be heard from the hotels on soi 13. As regards to the great food: only culinary illiterates would think the the above pictured junk food, greasy - salt and fat ridden filth is to be commended. As for poor service from Thais: I get good service in most places apart from some soulless western joints with poor management often with a racist attitude demanding servility from staff - the kind of servility offered by illegal burmese and cambodian living in fear of their employees. Bad staff are always a sign of poor management communication and poor attitudes to their workers - leading to alienated demoralised staff. There is a knack to engendering loyalty from staff especially Thai and Issan staff - many foreigners clearly do not have this skill set.