Tottenham Thread

chonabot

"and he never played the game at any level."

one of the most inaccurate statements in football that, with respect. some of the best managers of the modern era either never played football at all or played at about dog & duck standard.

can see lots of reasons for wanting villas boas gone but think that not having played the game is pretty well down the list.

Thats your opinion, but for me, it's vital that a football manager or coach needs to have played the game before he can coach it to a professional football team.

How would you think a professional footballer would feel when he is being instructed and coached

by someone that has never played the game!

Would they even be able to take him seriously?

Why do you think that some senior players at Chelsea and Tottenham went against him within such a short spell of managing them?

"and he never played the game at any level."

one of the most inaccurate statements in football that, with respect. some of the best managers of the modern era either never played football at all or played at about dog & duck standard.

can see lots of reasons for wanting villas boas gone but think that not having played the game is pretty well down the list.

Thats your opinion, but for me, it's vital that a football manager or coach needs to have played the game before he can coach it to a professional football team.

How would you think a professional footballer would feel when he is being instructed and coached

by someone that has never played the game!

Would they even be able to take him seriously?

Why do you think that some senior players at Chelsea and Tottenham went against him within such a short spell of managing them?

Jose Mourinho is great example of a successful coach who's playing career isn't worth mentioning.

You guys need to get your facts right, before you start mouthing off,

Ferguson played 317 games scored 171 goals

Wenger played from 1967 to 1981 for 4 different clubs

Laurie Mcmenemy played from 1959 to 1961 with his playing career ending due to injury.

Jose Mourinho played from 1980 to 1987.for 4 different clubs appearances 94 goals 13.

Bertie Mee played from 1938 to 1942 with his playing career ending due to injury.

My point is they have all played the game and know what it takes to play the game.

Whereas AVB and Avram Grant have never played at any level, isn't that a coincidence! for those two!

Well done to Mad Mary for pointing AG out.

• Like 1

Laurie Mcmenemy played from 1959 to 1961 with his playing career ending due to injury.

Jose Mourinho played from 1980 to 1987.for 4 different clubs appearances 94 goals 13.

Bertie Mee played from 1938 to 1942 with his playing career ending due to injury.

My point is they have all played the game and know what it takes to play the game.

Whereas AVB and Avram Grant have never played at any level, isn't that a coincidence! for those two!

Glen Hoddle was (and probably still is) the best player the tiny totts have ever had.

But he's a shit manager.

Next?

hang on, what do you mean by "at any level"? because sunday league is a level. wenger and mourinho's playing careers were pretty laughable, as was that of rafa benitez for another example. meanwhile loads of top players, world class players even, have turned out to be utter bobbins as managers.

Walter Winterbottom, good England manager, not a lot of playing experience.....not even sure he managed at club level.

I see Sherwood is favourite now.........probably be installed, so that Levy can take his time and make the right choice. whistling.gif

Gianfranco Zola resigned at Watford and according to bookies, he's in the frame at 12/1

Edited by uptheos

hang on, what do you mean by "at any level"? because sunday league is a level. wenger and mourinho's playing careers were pretty laughable, as was that of rafa benitez for another example. meanwhile loads of top players, world class players even, have turned out to be utter bobbins as managers.

This was my point sotsira

UpTheOs - you were right...

Tim Sherwood handed Tottenham chance as André Villas-Boas is sacked

• Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey will assist new man
• First game in charge against West Ham on Wednesday
... as a stand-in anyway!!
I expect some of the posters here will say he is another manager who never played football for a 'proper' teambiggrin.png
Edited by dsfbrit

UpTheOs - you were right...

Tim Sherwood handed Tottenham chance as André Villas-Boas is sacked

• Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey will assist new man

• First game in charge against West Ham on Wednesday

... as a stand-in anyway!!
I expect some of the posters here will say he is another manager who never played football for a 'proper' teambiggrin.png

I wonder how many punters did their balls on fat Sam being the next manager to leave?

Though I'm sure Levy's 'team' cleaned up at the bookies. wink.png

• Like 1

Getting beaten by Liverpool 5-0 could be a blessing in disguise. There are a lot of good players at Spurs and they are still up there with a shout. If a new guy can uninstall the negative tactics of AVB, install a bit of flair and play to win, there might yet be a few surprises in the second half of the season.