Tottenham Thread

chonabot

I notice we are still two points ahead of Moyes lot I notice.

Maybe they will sod off and start moaning about their team. biggrin.png

Lets look at it at the the end of the season.

Funny thing is these Spurs boys all wanted Moyse at the lane not so long ago....what has changed there opinion,is it just because he went to United biggrin.png

Fickle these Spurs boys who once said he was a very good manager.

I said nothing of the sort. Spurs fans for the most part did not want Moyes either. He has always struck me as a slightly better version of Fat Sam Alladyce, nothing more nothing less. You are welcome to him.thumbsup.gif

Tim Sherwood appointed. Be interested to see what Spurs fans think.

I think he is going to get you playing more attacking football and passion will have the fans onside. However, I think that his lack of experience (none in management) combined with the squad having a lot of expensive players will at some point be found out. Just my opinion.

YB

I notice we are still two points ahead of Moyes lot I notice.

Maybe they will sod off and start moaning about their team. biggrin.png

Lets look at it at the the end of the season.

Funny thing is these Spurs boys all wanted Moyse at the lane not so long ago....what has changed there opinion,is it just because he went to United biggrin.png

Fickle these Spurs boys who once said he was a very good manager.

I said nothing of the sort. Spurs fans for the most part did not want Moyes either. He has always struck me as a slightly better version of Fat Sam Alladyce, nothing more nothing less. You are welcome to him.thumbsup.gif

Yes you did! and smokie did.

So carmine what is your opinion of Levy appointing another weak yes man for 18 months?

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

He's actually appointed Tim Sherwood. He's an excellent coach who knows the club throughout and very much his own man. I am concerned about his tactical acumen as you should be with your coach.

Again, as with your good selves we can sit back without any aspirations for the season and watch how we progress.smile.png

So carmine what is your opinion of Levy appointing another weak yes man for 18 months?

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

He's actually appointed Tim Sherwood. He's an excellent coach who knows the club throughout and very much his own man. I am concerned about his tactical acumen as you should be with your coach.

Again, as with your good selves we can sit back without any aspirations for the season and watch how we progress.smile.png

How do you know he is an excellent coach? he has never coached at this level before!

On the Everton thread you said Moyes has done "a remarkable job" i would say that is better than just "good" sorry i was wrong! smile.png

I would be rather underwhelmed if Moyes had been appointed Spurs boss. Obviously i know he was always United's first choicerolleyes.gif

Oh yes and btw, i said that Everton had only given him 26m to spend in ten years which is remarkable. Thats as in remarkable how tight they are and yes, he did a very good job. Shame he's so dull and uninspiring

Edited by carmine

But he did "a remarkable job" wink.png

But nothing like getting an excellent coach that has never ever even touched excellence is there! tongue.png

It was actually Rix who said he did a remarkable job which i disputed in my reply to his post, claiming that what Clough did a Forest was more of a "remarkable" achievement.

Theres nothing remarkable about winning nothing

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

We have heard this before, Alfie said he would be happy with 7th/8th (can't remember which exactly) in this 'transition season'. This is obviously not a view shared by Levy as proven by sacking by AVB when you were more than well placed for those positions.

YB

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

We have heard this before, Alfie said he would be happy with 7th/8th (can't remember which exactly) in this 'transition season'. This is obviously not a view shared by Levy as proven by sacking by AVB when you were more than well placed for those positions.

YB

When Levy pulled the trigger last week he created an even greater transition and has appointed a manager with no managerial experience. It would be utter folly now to hold top four aspirations. It Sherwood did achieve this then Levy should immediately improve his contract.

Whilst AVB was incumbent top four was the requirement and rightly so.

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

YB

When Levy pulled the trigger last week he created an even greater transition and has appointed a manager with no managerial experience. It would be utter folly now to hold top four aspirations. It Sherwood did achieve this then Levy should immediately improve his contract.

Fair enough. Agreed, for Sherwood, a man with managerial experience to get you into the top four would be a great achievement. I think he will get you scoring goals and passion back into the team but I can't see him being the answer long term.

Carms, you know you said you were waiting for a statement from Levy regarding AVB's dismissal, I think this is as much as you will get.

"We were extremely reluctant to make a change mid-season, but felt we had to do so in the club's best interests," added Levy.

"We have a great squad and we owe them a head coach who will bring out the best in them and allow them to flourish and enjoy a strong, exciting finish to the season."

YB

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

YB

more ball irks from the indeterminable carmine fark me man get a grip.....or have you got Alzheimers?

just 1 HOUR AGO you said that Levy has appointed an excellent coach!! <deleted>! ...now you have just stated that he has appointed a manager with no experience facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Transition transition the thing is with Spurs mate is your transition is permanent. cheesy.gif Jokers.

I need a pint.cheesy.gif

Mr Ed, if you don't understand the difference between a guy with excellent coaching credentials and a manager with management experience, in the context of my posts then you best go for a pint because you are too clueless to be posting on here.facepalm.gif

You really know how to make a tit of yourself i'll say that for you!!laugh.png

No experience.

I wasn't aware he did.

YB

more ball irks from the indeterminable carmine fark me man get a grip.....or have you got Alzheimers?

just 1 HOUR AGO you said that Levy has appointed an excellent coach!! <deleted>! ...now you have just stated that he has appointed a manager with no experience facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Transition transition the thing is with Spurs mate is your transition is permanent. cheesy.gif Jokers.

I need a pint.cheesy.gif

To be fair Red there is a difference between a coach and a manager!

Let's face it, it's a low risk gamble for Levy. He's picked a popular character and given him a contract that probably makes him one of the lowest paid managers in the league.

The fans will accept this mediocrity because he's a popular former player.

I think the drinks will be on Levy tonight, that's a master stroke.

thumbsup.gif

"To be fair Red there is a difference between a coach and a manager!"

What is the difference? he coaches the team and he picks the team ....

He has been appointed as "HEAD COACH" so there is no manager at Spurs just a technical manager named Baldini ........or is there a difference? or would like most people agree that being a head coach and manager are one and the same these days....After all the manager picks the team.

Or as i said earlier he has been appointed as a yes man for Levy and Baldini above him?

He hasn't even got his Uefa pro licence coaching badge yet and has been given special dispensation to do the job,he and Ferdinand only coached the under 21's is that correct carmine?

Edited by MrRed

He has been appointed as "HEAD COACH" so there is no manager at Spurs just a technical manager named Baldini ........or is there a difference? or would like most people agree that being a head coach and manager are one and the same these days....After all the manager picks the team.

Or as i said earlier he has been appointed as a yes man for Levy and Baldini above him?

I agree with others that a Coach and a Manager are two totally different positions but, only when a they are appointed as two seperate jobs within the same structure. The set up with Spurs and Sherwood as Head Coach ,does suggest he is also the Manager , The term Head Coach is very much a European thing ,along with technical director ,etc,.One can only expect things to be the same as under AVB with Levy & Baldini having too much input ,Sherwoods on a hiding to nothing with these two in charge & he'll be the one to carry the can when it all goes pear shaped again.

My guess is that Levy needs Sherwood to take charge until at least the end of the current season when it will be more feasible to bring in an experienced, high profile manager.

But Sherwood has already publicly stated that he only wants the job on a permanent basis.

So Levy is between a rock and a hard place. Either he makes an offer that Sherwood accepts, or he risks losing his caretaker manager and will get a lot of flack for landing Spurs in it with a manager-less team.

So he offers him an 18 month contract, which he will probably break in the summer and pay him off, unless Sherwood miraculously succeeds in turning the team’s fortunes around.

I reckon Sherwood also realises what Levy is about, but at least he has been given a chance, which is more that most aspiring managers with a similar lack of experience could ever dream about. He will fight tooth and nail to make a success of it.

A bit of a win-win for Levy, given that he screwed up in the first place.

That’s my take on it.

• Like 2

He hasn't even got his Uefa pro licence coaching badge yet and has been given special dispensation to do the job,he and Ferdinand only coached the under 21's is that correct carmine?

Ok so it all depends on the structure that the particular club in question has. Some clubs have a manager and then coaches. The manager obviously picks the team, decides tactics etc and maybe is hands on in training or maybe he leaves it to his coaches more. Some clubs have a head coach and then coaches, the head coach will take on the managers role, and managers to his style, again he might be hands on with coaching or might not.

At Spurs, AVB picked the team, tactics etc. Sherwood has coached teams within the club (what levels I don't know) and apparently (again I don't know) is a well regarded coach, ie he is good on the training field. Has he picked teams and decided tactics within the club? I am sure he has at some level but one thing we know for sure is he doesn't have managerial experience at picking teams and tactics at any first team level.

The wording of roles for people at Spurs it not really what I was trying to get at. There is definitely a difference between what a coach's responsibilities are and what a managers is and like I said it is all dependent on the club. One thing is for sure one guy will ultimately have the responsibility of picking the team, tactics and substitutions and that is something everyone is clear that Sherwood has never had to do at first team level.

YB

• Like 1

My guess is that Levy needs Sherwood to take charge until at least the end of the current season when it will be more feasible to bring in an experienced, high profile manager.

But Sherwood has already publicly stated that he only wants the job on a permanent basis.

So Levy is between a rock and a hard place. Either he makes an offer that Sherwood accepts, or he risks losing his caretaker manager and will get a lot of flack for landing Spurs in it with a manager-less team.

So he offers him an 18 month contract, which he will probably break in the summer and pay him off, unless Sherwood miraculously succeeds in turning the team’s fortunes around.

I reckon Sherwood also realises what Levy is about, but at least he has been given a chance, which is more that most aspiring managers with a similar lack of experience could ever dream about. He will fight tooth and nail to make a success of it.

A bit of a win-win for Levy, given that he screwed up in the first place.

That’s my take on it.

I think you might be onto something here actually because of the sentence above I highlighted. If it doesn't start going right, he breaks it easily, if things improve great. The problem I can see with this is as I said before I can see him doing well short term (ie rest of the season) but it not being successful long term.

YB