Tottenham Thread

chonabot

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We bossed the midfield well after the first 20 mins and never looked in danger.

I agree.

Everton offered little. If Superspurs can take this confidence into Wembley this week they could see a decent result

3 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I agree.

Everton offered little. If Superspurs can take this confidence into Wembley this week they could see a decent result

We will continue to improve as the new players gel into our squad.

I don't really see Wembley as an issue for us per se but obviously other sides may get a lift from playing there.

2 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I don't really see Wembley as an issue for us per se but obviously other sides may get a lift from playing there.

There should not be an issue with Wembley. Spurs asked for the pitch to be made smaller but the 'FA' said no. When liverpool were at their peak - over the course of 20 years - teams were defeated before they got even on the pitch.

One Spurs player (can't recall who) said after a 7-0 defeat. "As the players went onto the pitch we passed under a big sign "THIS IS ANFIELD". It sent shivers down our spines"

It takes a while to adjust to a new home. Spurs have to lift their game, get a couple of results and put doubt in the away team's mind. I did say in an earlier post that Spurs would have the best away stats in the league come the end of the seson; I'll stick to that.

Edited by owl sees all

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Good game , we look like title contenders, but our home games at Wembley... 

Relax, everything going to be just fine!  When they are in a position to have to stop going on about the Wembley hoodoo stuff it will soon be time for the next transfer window when we are going to lose all our players.

Oh yes, and we're really going to get found out at Everton remember.......

Were a really strong outfit now having done excellent business in the transfer market .  Sanchez looks great already, Aurier's going to make a big impact and is an upgrade on Walker and with Davis playing so well little Danny Rose may well find himself spending time on the bench.  

We also have the option of Llorente starting or even playing him with Kane slipping into a no10 role now that Dele's ban kicks in......were all good right now.

• Like 1

sat so deep early, fullbacks looked stretched at times, son and harry played so well on the counter.

bvb robbed of a brilliant goal after spurs spurned two earlier chances.

sanchez at times looked very inexperinced compared to jan and toby, very happy with serge and ben davies

really enjoyed that game, great win for the teams confidence.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Serge Aurier looks better than Wannnker already. Lol.

He's an upgrade all round.  Younger,  by three years i believe, better defender, more skillful, more assists and 25m cheaper.  No thats good business.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, macksview said:

sat so deep early, fullbacks looked stretched at times, son and harry played so well on the counter.

sanchez at times looked very inexperinced compared to jan and toby, very happy with serge and ben davies

Sanchez is learning to play alongside guys that are still relative strangers.  He's going to prove to be a fantastic signing.

Toby Alderweirald is just outstanding.  I honestly think he could walk into any side in europe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, macksview said:

So your comparing a 21yr old  playing his second  game for a new team with a 28yr old and a 30yr old  both of whom are two of the best in the League :1zgarz5:

36 minutes ago, balo said:

The real test will be against Real Madrid. That would be our greatest achievement for a long time, if we win that game.

We'll be without Dele, Rose, Vertonghen, probably Wanyama too, and its away.  Thats a very big ask!

1 hour ago, carmine said:

We'll be without Dele, Rose, Vertonghen, probably Wanyama too, and its away.  Thats a very big ask!

The BBC match report states Vertonghen got a second yellow.

Here's the extract:

However, the home side ended the game with 10 men as defender Jan Vertonghen

was shown a second yellow card for catching Mario Gotze with a swinging arm.

If that's the case, then he would only miss the next match against Apoel and be 

available for the Real Madrid game.

17 hours ago, sotsira said:

The BBC match report states Vertonghen got a second yellow.

Here's the extract:

However, the home side ended the game with 10 men as defender Jan Vertonghen

was shown a second yellow card for catching Mario Gotze with a swinging arm.

If that's the case, then he would only miss the next match against Apoel and be 

available for the Real Madrid game.

I thought the yellow was a little harsh so if thats the case then we've been fortunate.  One player i do want back for the Madrid game is Wanyama.

On 9/14/2017 at 3:53 AM, macksview said:

We sat deep on purpose and it was a tactic that worked a treat.  We played reactive football, happily ceding possession and hitting on the break, having more shots on target and more goal attempts than Dortmund who had 68% possession.  We probably should have scored more second half.

Aurier is ideal for us playing much higher up that Trippier. He also has the pace to get back quickly.  I didn't feel we looked that stretched.  The back three are so mobile as will be both wing backs when Rose is finally fit.  

Hopefully the media and the usual suspects on here will stop droning on about Wembley now and move back to how we are going to lose all our players in the next window..........again!

Edited by carmine
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, balo said:

The real test will be against Real Madrid. That would be our greatest achievement for a long time, if we win that game.

Expect more of the same tactic, sitting deep, keeping it narrow and hitting on the break.  Forgot the win, i'd be ecstatic with an away point.  And if we can get a draw away to Dortmund i think we'll qualify but thats still a way off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carmine said:

We sat deep on purpose and it was a tactic that worked a treat.  We played reactive football, happily ceding possession and hitting on the break, having more shots on target and more goal attempts than Dortmund who had 68% possession.  We probably should have scored more second half.

Aurier is ideal for us playing much higher up that Trippier. He also has the pace to get back quickly.  I didn't feel we looked that stretched.  The back three are so mobile as will be both wing backs when Rose is finally fit.  

Hopefully the media and the usual suspects on here will stop droning on about Wembley now and move back to how we are going to lose all our players in the next window..........again!

I was impressed at how easily the team changed tactics and focus as a unit in the second half.

Aurier is going to be fantastic for us too.

On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 0:34 PM, alfieconn said:

So your comparing a 21yr old  playing his second  game for a new team with a 28yr old and a 30yr old  both of whom are two of the best in the League :1zgarz5:

i was so happy with sanchez, playing with top class toby and jan, he looks to be a great prospect, he just looked like what he is a project full of potential.

poch, a cb of fair stature himself, has a huge talent under his wing, sanchez learning from him, jan and toby can be something very special.

• Thanks 1

Very disappointing.  26 shots at goal, total control all game, hit the woodwork, Swansea failing to produce a single effort on target and Mike Dean failing to award two clear penalties....

Plus points was again how well Sanchez has slotted in.  Personally i would have started with Aurier and i would definitely have brought on Dembele.  Judging by his unusually frosty response when asked that very question i think Poch realizes he should have done so too.  

During the Burnley game it was obvious we needed more attacking full back's so we buy Aurier and doesn't even play him or Davies who has looked more dangerous going forward lately and play's Son who is never an attacking full back,  2nd half he then put's Tripps on the left side and Sissoko right side W T F

Play our strongest team Poch especially if we haven't got a big game in midweek !!!!

Anyway i'm off to the gym too get rid of some of my frustrations :sad:

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, macksview said:

i was so happy with sanchez, playing with top class toby and jan, he looks to be a great prospect, he just looked like what he is a project full of potential.

poch, a cb of fair stature himself, has a huge talent under his wing, sanchez learning from him, jan and toby can be something very special.

Why would he look anything different ? :shock1:

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

During the Burnley game it was obvious we needed more attacking full back's so we buy Aurier and doesn't even play him or Davies who has looked more dangerous going forward lately and play's Son who is never an attacking full back,  2nd half he then put's Tripps on the left side and Sissoko right side W T F

Play our strongest team Poch especially if we haven't got a big game in midweek !!!!

Anyway i'm off to the gym too get rid of some of my frustrations :sad:

Totally agree on putting out the strongest side available for every game.

Hopefully he has learnt from this tinkerman experiment.

By the looks of Poch afterwards he already had realised! :ph34r: