Thai North ready to tackle haze

webfact

Thai North ready to tackle haze
By Digital Content

14229286622231-640x390x1.jpg

CHIANG MAI, Feb 3 -- Thailand's northern region is preparing to tackle the haze problem, as this province's level of airborne small particulate matter has risen slightly.

Chiang Mai Deputy Governor Nawin Sinthusa-ard informed the press that the Northern Provinces Strategy Management Group meeting to be presided over by the Chiang Mai'governor, would discuss how to handle the haze period this month and next.

Chiang Mai began preparing to handle the haze earlier this year by evaluating last year's data and implementing an early burning measure to destroy dry leaves before the haze period settled in.

Mr Nawin believes that the operation will help to alleviate the upcoming situation in the region's southern districts, though cooperation from all sides is still needed to prevent any burning in open areas.

The latest report specified that PM10 particulate matter has already reached the level of 90 microgrammes per cubic metre in Chaing Mai and other provinces in the upper north. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-02-03

Perhaps they would care to elaborate on how exactly they are going to tackle it, otherwise it looks like the yearly procrastination report.

Nice hefty fines for burning culprits and a spotter aircraft to identify the sites.

• Like 1

It's OK it's only a haze.

I could only see 4 fires burning from the canal road west of Samoeng turn off this morning.Better than the five I could see yesterday so I guess the "tackling" is working.

BTW that would be an income of THB45,000 over just 2 days if I had reported them!

Perhaps they would care to elaborate on how exactly they are going to tackle it, otherwise it looks like the yearly procrastination report.

Nice hefty fines for burning culprits and a spotter aircraft to identify the sites.

Massive fines on the landowners not the poor guys doing what they have been told to do.

The problem is that the majority of the landowners are the wealthy elite and those in power so unlikely to fine themselves.

The culprit would be every Tom, Dick and Harry with a smoldering pile of leaves in their front yard.

Good luck with that. Because i have never seen any. Control of burning. For the last 10 years! Always talking, but never action.

Shelve this with the solution to solve the drought. Get a water bomber and bomb the flames. Its the same every year we have a plan we have a plan we have a plan. What did someone else say oh yeah "bull dung"

'Chiang Mai began preparing to handle the haze earlier this year by evaluating last year's data ...' Last year's data? Would that be the same data as the year before, the year before that, the one before that, ad infinitum? The data is called ignorance and the solution is to compel those carrying out the burning to be subject to very tight, and rigorously enforced, regulation. Better yet, to substitute other methods for the burning.

In Chiang rai province we have smoke haze now, February 1st. The power of the sun is diluted and so my laundry takes a couple of days to dry. OK the real problem is cancer of the lungs. A dear friend has died at the age of 61,She was a non smoker.Did you hear of a local minister claiming he had fixed the problem ? He distributed 1000 masks. LOL This is a true tale