Welcome Town Shopping Mall Coming to Tappraya Road Jomtien

Jingthing

Looks like something biggish is happening at the Welcome Time site on Tappraya roughly across from Continental Bakery restaurant (beachside from Tepprasit).

A sign announces the construction of a mall of some kind.

Obviously not anything close to super big like Central but big for Jomtien.

I don't see how they will have much space for parking unless it's very tall and the parking is built under.

Stores announced on the billboard:

Power Buy

A Coffee Shop

Loaf Bakery

A Thai restaurant

Tres Bon Cafe

Another Thai restaurant, possibly Chinese

Usagi Japanese restaurant

SS Service and Supply

Siam Secure

Her Massage

Road Runner Shop

Dainese Dealer

Kiatnakin Bank

There is a welcome town on Klang, next door to powerbuy. I think so far they have 3 shops and a clinic occupied, but I think they are all waiting 3 months already for their first customer, and indeed there is second to no parking space.

But hey, parking is a waste of space, isn't it?

Look at the umpteen shops that block parking in front of their shop with chairs or whatever. They still don't get it that if there is no parking the customer moves on to the shop WITH parking.

Edited by Anthony5
  • Like 1

There is a welcome town on Klang, next door to powerbuy. I think so far they have 3 shops and a clinic occupied, but I think they are all waiting 3 months already for their first customer, and indeed there is second to no parking space.

But hey, parking is a waste of space, isn't it?

Look at the umpteen shops that block parking in front of their shop with chairs or whatever. They still don't get it that if there is no parking the customer moves on to the shop WITH parking.

Yeah I noticed that place. I suppose it will probably be a similar setup ... not a highrise, more like a drive in strip mall if it's like that. I recall they had a quite good Japanese restaurant in there, perhaps the same brand as what will be in Jomtien. Not sure. There is definitely the need for a Japanese restaurant in Jomtien. I don't think there will be a food market in this space though. That kind of place looks like its a pretty quick build as well.

Actually compared to the Pattaya Klang location I think this Tappraya Road location looks to me MUCH BETTER.

Why?

So much potential walk by traffic.

BTW -- STILL no Starbucks in Jomtien.

Clearly Starbucks corporate doesn't think Jomtien rates!

Edited by Jingthing

Stores announced on the billboard:

Power Buy

A Coffee Shop

Loaf Bakery

How odd to have a PowerBuy that one would only use rarely but not a big supermarket that people would go to daily.

Another coffee shop in that area? There are already more than you can shake a stick at.

The Loaf Bakery certainly would get my vote if they do their Wednesday pizza buffet there. But I bet it will just be a little sub-branch like the one opposite Friendship.

I think there are at least two coffee shops coming. There is already Foodmart very close to this location. Powerbuy I agree you don't need very often ... can just go into Pattaya when you do. To me the Japanese restaurant is the most appealing item so far.

I don't think we need overpriced Starbucks coffee in Jomtien when we have alternatives that are cheaper and taste better,

I highly recommend Espresso cafe , a few meters down from continental bakery, the italian owner knows what he's doing.

I don't think we need overpriced Starbucks coffee in Jomtien when we have alternatives that are cheaper and taste better,

I highly recommend Espresso cafe , a few meters down from continental bakery, the italian owner knows what he's doing.

I don't usually go to Starbucks in Thailand but when Starbucks opens in a neighborhood it's usually a statement by that company about their perception about the higher level demographics and/or very high traffic of that location. That's all I meant. I didn't mean I need it myself.

It's also interesting that there is no McDonalds in Jomtien and that's a place I personally want even less.

Edited by Jingthing

It's also interesting that there is no McDonalds in Jomtien ....

I've long wondered why? Rents on Beach Road too high, perhaps?

I would have thought that a McDo on Jomtien Beach Road would do quite well.

Mickey D did look at Jomtien a few years back. When KFC vacated their premises on the corner of Beach and Thappraya they were interested in that location but the owner wanted something silly for the rent so it didn't go any further. Eventually after standing empty for years the owner incorporated it into his existing business next door. I was also told that Mickey D looked at taking over the 4A estate agency office in Jomtien Plaza condotel, but once again unbridled greed on the part of the owner killed the plan.

• Like 2

I don't believe there are any fast food restaurants in Jomtien. You would have thought a Pizza Hut would do well or maybe a Dunkin Donut. I wonder if maybe the city won't approve such places in Jomtien?

It's amazing that with the thousands of condos in the area no fast food outlets. Surely there must a market, me for one. What about where the La Baguette went, that would have been a perfect McD/KFC/Pizza Hut.

Maybe someone could start their own donuts business. How hard can it be ? I would invest in it if someone are seriously thinking about it.

Edited by balo

BTW -- STILL no Starbucks in Jomtien.

Clearly Starbucks corporate doesn't think Jomtien rates!

Maybe it's Jomtien that doesn't think Starbucks is worth having? I certainly don't.

The one at the Avenue always seems to be deserted when I go past.

Starbucks at Avenue really is deserted since Avenue became a flea market. Before Central opened, Avenue was quit nice, and Starbucks there was buzy. But I never liked that location even then, no view.

But Starbucks on Beach Rd, at soi 13/1 is busy, it is impossible to grab a seat facing the beach, everybody rushes to grab on on of those, the moment someone leaves the front facing chairs. The place is busy over all, I go every day, most days twice.

SB at Central is very nice, but seating outside has no view at all, so useless to me.. alltho sofas inside are very comfy.. and always taken already, hardly ever get a chance to grab a sofa.

Jomtien needs a Starbucks, but it should be a good location, facing Thappraya is not where I would sit down, but maybe many would.

And please, this is not about how good or bad SC coffee is, it is about a nice place to sit and escape Pattaya for an hour. And yes, I have espresso machine, I can also make better coffee at home. The point is to go out, and we don't have too many choices, if you're not into alcohol, and like peace and quiet sometimes .

• Like 1

I don't believe there are any fast food restaurants in Jomtien. You would have thought a Pizza Hut would do well or maybe a Dunkin Donut. I wonder if maybe the city won't approve such places in Jomtien?

It's amazing that with the thousands of condos in the area no fast food outlets. Surely there must a market, me for one. What about where the La Baguette went, that would have been a perfect McD/KFC/Pizza Hut.

In my Jomtien condo building I often see delivery guys from various pizza outlets, and the Door2Door deliveries, and some burger outlet or another. I suppose they all come from Pattaya. So I agree that there must be a significant demand for fast food in the area.

There's no shortage at all of suitable shops near Jomtien Complex for this sort of place, and of course Beach Road would be even nicer for those who want to eat/drink on the premises.

I am with you on this but unfortunately the Yanks have bought him out. Pastrami will be in there when the reno is done. Much like their food but too bad it took over this place. Italian is looking to startup again in new location. Here is hoping he can move into one of the dead bars or laundry along there.

Also hoping all those crass American poison preveyers like Starbucks, KFC, Pizza Hut, McRats etc stay the hell out of Jomtien.

OK I can verify it is the same Japanese chain as at Pattaya Klang. Didn't eat there but perused the menu and it was impressive. Moderate prices.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Japanese resto on Pattaya klang. Do you mean Fuji in Big C Extra?

OK I can verify it is the same Japanese chain as at Pattaya Klang. Didn't eat there but perused the menu and it was impressive. Moderate prices.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Japanese resto on Pattaya klang. Do you mean Fuji in Big C Extra?

Absolutely not!

I mean the Usagi Japanese Japanese restaurant in Welcome Town Shopping complex on Pattaya Klang north side, close to Sukhumwit. It is clearly a step up from mass market places like Fuji an Zen which I could tell just visiting the place and seeing the menu. So it seems Jomtien will be getting the same ... definitely welcome in the area.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

And what about the foodland on Thapraya, incredibly slow to start building !

And the new Tukcom ? They forgot ?

Someone posted that the Foodland owners were nervous about the economy and not sure yet whether to commit to the build. Just a rumor I suppose but it hasn't started at all, has it?

Consider yourselves lucky that the city fathers allow 7-eleven's in hi-so Jomtien.

(even their solitary gogo bar claims it is the worlds best)

I remember seeing the sign about the shopping mall when it first went up (the original topic of this thread!), but it's since been removed. There was no longer any sign there yesterday.

It was there about 2 hours ago when I drove past.