Whopping fine for breath test refusal

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- In a first judicial decision on the amended alcohol-breath test law, a Bangkok court has ruled to impose the fine of 8,500 baht and a suspended jail term for two years for refusing to take breath test.

The Southern Bangkok Criminal Court cited the guilty plea of ChutimaKanthang, 28, as ground for leniency to commute the original sentencing of 17,000 baht fine and six-month imprisonment.

The amended provisions on driving under influence, in effect as of February 10, have empowered police to classify and prosecute the case as DUI if the driver refuses to the road side test for Breath Analyser.

The prosecution contends that Chutima was presumed drunk due to breath test refusal.

The incident happened one night following the breath test enforcement at a police checkpoint on NaradhiwasRajanagarindra 24 Road, Chong Nonsi, Yannawa, Bangkok.

Citing Chutima’s refusal, police towed the vehicle with the driver inside to Bang PhongPhang Police Station.

The next morning, Chutima stepped out of the vehicle under her own accord and acknowledged her test refusal.

She appeared before the presiding judge in the afternoon and pleaded guilty.

The offence for breath test refusal is punishable by up to one-year jail term and a fine between 10,000 baht and 20,000 baht.

Under the previous law, the penalty is the imprisonment of up to one year and a fine between 5,000 baht and 10,000 baht.

Last year Thailand ranked as the sixth top country in the world for traffic accident, according to the Ministry of Transportation.

She must have been told by someone else that refusing a breath test is somehow a way to get out of taking responsibility for your own actions.

I don't like these suspended jail sentences though - one month in a Thai jail would have really taught her a lesson.

• Like 1

… police towed the vehicle with the driver inside to (the) Police Station. The next morning, (she) stepped out of the vehicle under her own accord ….

cheesy.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I thought the same thing.

But, hey, at least they didn't tie her to the back bumper & make her run along behind them.

The paper that dare not speak its name reports she was a vendor. What kind, though, I don't know. Would have been a much better coup (ahem) for the fuzz if the first person caught was a hi-so little grub like the Red Bull dirtbag. After all, rumours are strong that he's swanning around here somewhere.

What ever happened to that Dirt Bag, and what happened to the; we are all watching what happens to him; that soon faded away, like most other things when you have money and a status

Winnie, was that you? Lol

Just waiting for the farang alcoholics here to post that they drive better dunk then most Thais sober and how hotels are too expensive and its their god given right to drive drunk and kill others. But they are probably all still asleep after a heavy drinking session biggrin.png

Not condoning DUI but I most assuredly drive better drunk than most Thais, sober or not. Of course, I drive better sober than drunk.

As expected so i guess its ok for farangs to drink and drive

… police towed the vehicle with the driver inside to (the) Police Station. The next morning, (she) stepped out of the vehicle under her own accord ….

cheesy.gif

I think it was very civic of them to allow her to sleep in her own accord honda way to the police station..

• Like 1