Body Armour

seedy

I used to ride with a guy on a Hypermotard who had a low speed low-side on gravel while wearing something similar over his shirt.

It moved on impact and he was left with a nasty case of road rash. It may perform better under clothing but I'd recommend wearing an armored jacket instead.

• Like 1

Not as protective as a full jacket but no where near as hot...plenty of mesh to let the air thru and the back protector section is removable so it makes it even cooler when you are stuck between two buses at the traffic lights in 36c and 80% humidity!

Yes.... I use the Alpine stars Bionic jacket .[.I have no idea how to post a pic in this forum!!]

When typing your reply, or a new topic, bottom RH you will see 'More Reply Options'

Click this, it will show Browse - you can use this to pick a foto from your computer, click attach this file, then click add to post

Click Add Reply

• Like 1

I'd wear something like this UNDER some other type of jacket ONLY.

I've been thinking of going this way before I got my last leather jacket.

Pros that I thought of were - I would have a wide choice of clothes to wear over top depending on the weather conditions.

Cons were - I couldn't find the armor that fit me well and I don't have any over top closes with oversized elbows, shoulders and forearms.

I would never wear this at high speeds, if you go down it would be torn to shreds. I've always though it's for trail riders to help absorb impact only at low speeds.

How do you know it would be torn to shreds? Alot of accidents are caused by hitting cars, where you fly off etc rather than long slides on roads.

It's got to be better than no armour and a jacket isn't practical in Thailand.

I would never wear this at high speeds, if you go down it would be torn to shreds. I've always though it's for trail riders to help absorb impact only at low speeds.

How do you know it would be torn to shreds? Alot of accidents are caused by hitting cars, where you fly off etc rather than long slides on roads.

macknife says the truth.

these things will tear apart like a toilet paper even on a slight slide.

even strong textiles or leather tear apart on an accident and this has no chance. common way is, you wear this inside a jacket ideally leather with no protection. then it is double hot.

off road riders use them as their accidents are slower and not on the asphalt.

i also wonder, when this thread will get closed? if it will be closed, dont want to bother on posting more.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

macknife says the truth.

these things will tear apart like a toilet paper even on a slight slide.

even strong textiles or leather tear apart on an accident and this has no chance. common way is, you wear this inside a jacket ideally leather with no protection. then it is double hot.

off road riders use them as their accidents are slower and not on the asphalt.

i also wonder, when this thread will get closed? if it will be closed, dont want to bother on posting more.

Yes, these armour are meant for off road rides and worn underneath the clothes. The protection (arms, chest etc) are mainly for protection from tree branches and lurching forward on the handlebars and stones and rocks on the ground.

Because it's not made for high speed slides.

If you hit a car at speed then it probably doesn't matter what you are wearing, you are going to be dead or seriously injured.

Yes it is better than nothing at all, however a jacket is practical in Thailand. I always wear one even if it has no armour in it. You get used to the extra heat quite quickly and barely notice it at all and contrary to popular belief, it actually keeps the burning sun off. It will also help in minor falls in city traffic, ust look around, most Thais wear jackets. (in Bangkok anyway)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I have a vented mesh jacket which I wear, but it only has shoulder and elbow armor.

Want something with more protection, without having to buy a new jacket.

I would wear under my jacket, as there is room for it as it is not too bulky.

Thanks for the replies. I have a vented mesh jacket which I wear, but it only has shoulder and elbow armor.

Want something with more protection, without having to buy a new jacket.

I would wear under my jacket, as there is room for it as it is not too bulky.

I wonder how layering 2 sets of shoulder and elbow protectors would work. In theory it should be OK but maybe uncomfortable and weird looking? Were you planning on ordering and shipping to Thailand without trying?

As you're probably aware there are also vests with just back + chest protector, I would consider these more appropriate if your jacket already has elbow and shoulder armor. Which jacket do you have?