Did my washing machine just shock me?..

lust

I have some clothes that I put in the washer last night and forgot to take them out and went to bed. Today after work I just opened the washer to see if it stinks, and when I put my hand in the washer I to pull out my sock, I felt numb tingling pain in my hand. It was very dull and uncomfortable. Almost like when you sleep on your arm and then try to use your hand or llike touching an electric fence for animals.

The clothes were not wet, but still damp. I unplugged the unit and touched them again but there was no current this time..

Has anyone heard of this? If the clothes were still wet, could I have been in trouble? =|

• Like 2

grounding problem with your power supply, be careful

My advice in interim, rubber soles shoes, pull plug before you take any washing out and possible touch any metal components on your washing machine

my advice switch off disconnect from power supply and connect an earth wire / copper rod (2 mtr ) and suitable copper wire connection at least to the outer casing there is usually a screw with the earth symbol next to it

until this is done DO NOT USE

• Like 2

Thai electric different "no need" that green wire the one that says "connect earth" Tescos very own aircon installers informed me of this, I got them the wire and made them change the other two which were purple and white also ( wrong colours)

They told me first time they ever did it and not necessary blah blah blah

• Like 2

You use this adapter to obtain ground from a grounded Thai outlet. It will then fit your outlet shown in photo and if outlet is grounded provide a path to ground. You might want to invest in a Safe-t-cut or other brand RCCD to cut power before it can become serious. Well worth the small cost involved as too many things are subject to potential issues without.

ThaiSchukoAdapter_outside.jpg

• Like 2

As said lack of earth. Washing Machines often come with Schuko plugs. These require a Schuko socket for the earth to be connected correctly. The earth is the metal side contacts on the plug. As an alternative a third pin can be added to the plug to fit a standard 3 pin outlet.

Pic of Schuko plug/socket

attachicon.gifschuko.jpg

Thanks for posting this.

My washing machine is on my balcony. Sometimes the floor is wet and I have become way too complacent about it. I have that type of power plug and now that I know how it works, will get the proper outlet installed.

• Like 1

As said lack of earth. Washing Machines often come with Schuko plugs. These require a Schuko socket for the earth to be connected correctly. The earth is the metal side contacts on the plug. As an alternative a third pin can be added to the plug to fit a standard 3 pin outlet.

attachicon.gifschuko.jpg

have you ever tried buying a third pin ?? same old answer no hap/no need

3 pin plugs in homepro, just change the plug

• Like 2

You do not buy a pin to fit into that plug (that is designed for the French socket with a pin already in it). You either use an adapter as in photo post 9 (HomePro normally has them - but they make a two outlet socket only useful for one so prefer to change plug myself), or if a set location change to a socket shown in post 6 (they have surface mount available also).

• Like 1

My washing machine didn't have the earth pin fitted. I had planned to cut the 2 pin plug off and fit a 3 pin. At the local hardware store, ( looking for a 3 pin plug), they showed me the earthing pins ( Yep, you buy the earth pin extra and screw it into the plug). I like to call it the "Aftermarket Safety Factor Alternative". ( as an alternative to dieing of electrocution)

P.S. Earth Pin = Ground(ing) Pin ( for our US friends)

• Like 1

Not sure where you were shopping but US/Japanese style 3 pin plugs are available at most electric sales stores and the pin is a part of the plug. There is also a Thai version (but have only seen on recent sales items) that uses three round pins and looks like below.

stock-photo-thai-pin-plug-215681398.jpg

• Like 1

No ground.. Thanks for the help guys.

And........

Looking at that picture, (post # 8) there appears to be pitting marks on the Live and Neutral pins. This may indicate arcing (sparks!!) which in turn tells me that the plug isn't tight in the socket.

This may well be a fire risk so a thorough overhaul would be wise... Take Care!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

All good stuff above, nothing much to add.

Those Schuko adaptors are made by Wonpro, HomePro and other DIY outlets usually have a dedicated Wonpro display stand where you can find these.

Or remove the plug and fit a 3-pin plug, these are increasingly common, even Tesco now have the Haco 2 and 3 pin plugs. They are clear and white plastic and look flimsy but I've never damaged one even dropping on the floor several times.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifschuko.jpg

If anybody knows where to get this 'third ' pin, can they please advise here.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifschuko.jpg

have you ever tried buying a third pin ?? same old answer no hap/no need

3 pin plugs in homepro, just change the plug

That could quite possibly invalidate your warranty.

• Like 1

You use this adapter to obtain ground from a grounded Thai outlet. It will then fit your outlet shown in photo and if outlet is grounded provide a path to ground. You might want to invest in a Safe-t-cut or other brand RCCD to cut power before it can become serious. Well worth the small cost involved as too many things are subject to potential issues without.

ThaiSchukoAdapter_outside.jpg

Completely right. Alternatively change the plug to three prone Thai.

• Like 1

If your hand or fingers contacted a live AC current (electrical shock), those muscles would involuntarily contract. If that didn't happen, go to your doctor, you may have had a mild heart attack!

Edited by jerojero
  • Like 1

The 3rd pin E is not much good if there is not a earth (ground) wire connected to the

wall socket,switch off the power and open the wall socket to check, my self I use UK

sockets and plugs all properly earthed,the fused plug gives extra protect to me and

the equipment.especially where water is involved,washer,rice cooker,fish tanks.etc

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

From my experience so far with Thai electrical installations, there is probably not an earth ground installed anywhere at the home. As long as 3 wires are going from the electrical panel to each socket with 3 pins, the best solution is to ground the whole electrical system. This can be done with one copper ground rod and 00 gauge copper wire. More than likely this will not be the case. Most installations have only 2 wires ran and the ground pin is a decoration. In that case the previous posts about grounding the washing machine separately would be the best solution. And to the poster who grounded his WM to the rails on the condo balcony, You are aware that any current that goes to ground by whatever fault will pass through this rail and anything else metal that it is connected to. So if a fault occurred and all 240 volts went to ground you have created a high amperage electric fence. Your neighbor goes out to look off the balcony, leans against the rail, and is instantly electrocuted. I would suggest you re-examine your "solution" before someone else pays for your mistake.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifschuko.jpg

If anybody knows where to get this 'third ' pin, can they please advise here.

Unfortunately inserting a 'pin' in the hole of a Schuko doesn't work as the spacing is wrong to fit the Thai outlet :(

Only choices are - fit a Schuko outlet, use the Wonpro (or similar) adaptor, replace the plug (as noted could have warranty issues).

And yes, do verify that the ground is actually connected in the outlet.

• Like 2

From my experience so far with Thai electrical installations, there is probably not an earth ground installed anywhere at the home. As long as 3 wires are going from the electrical panel to each socket with 3 pins, the best solution is to ground the whole electrical system. This can be done with one copper ground rod and 00 gauge copper wire. More than likely this will not be the case. Most installations have only 2 wires ran and the ground pin is a decoration. In that case the previous posts about grounding the washing machine separately would be the best solution. And to the poster who grounded his WM to the rails on the condo balcony, You are aware that any current that goes to ground by whatever fault will pass through this rail and anything else metal that it is connected to. So if a fault occurred and all 240 volts went to ground you have created a high amperage electric fence. Your neighbor goes out to look off the balcony, leans against the rail, and is instantly electrocuted. I would suggest you re-examine your "solution" before someone else pays for your mistake.

Yes be sure there is a ground installed - use a cheap multi meter in AC voltage position to confirm same 230v reading from live to neutral and to ground points on outlet.

As for the electric fence - path of electric will be to ground using path of least resistance - which will be railing rather than a person unless you have insulated that rail (electric fence makes no contact to ground). As for high amperage that is what will trip your breaker and why you have the ground path (something better than you touching and being touched).

• Like 1