SURVEY: What can be done to improve Songkran?

Scott

What can be done to improve Songkran?  

235 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This week we would like to get your input into what you think can be done to improve the Songkran festival. Please feel free to cast a vote for what you think most closely represents your idea of the most important change. There are quite a few variables, so feel free to post your opinion and your ideas.

We look forward to your input and we hope that you have a great and safe Songkran.

All they can do is strictly enforce the law on drink/driving and levy stiff fines and jail terms on perps.

Separately, expect to hear the usual tired old waffle from the "old hands" telling us that Songkran used to be a quiet and dignified pouring of water over the hands. laugh.png

That's BS and, furthermore, there's more than enough photographic evidence from decades ago that proves Songkran has ALWAYS been a party.

Those that don't like it for whatever reasons should just slip away for a few days or stay at home.

• Like 2

There should be a separate survey for Pattaya.

There is no slipping away for a "few" days in Pattaya.

Almost a completely different beast.

Pattaya was always a different beast in every aspect, not just Songkran? I thought that was the reason for so many retirees, tourists and expats to settle there.

• Like 1

Eliminating the seven deadly days festival altogether isn't in the cards, so these idiotic periodic safety crackdowns need some teeth, as they usually fizzle out quickly, due to compromise, corruption and apathy, as opposed to a collective will to foment change.

Go to any bar in Chiang Mai, Phuket or Pattaya, and see expats driving home drunk every day. There is little accountability, beyond the new road safety posters that have little impact, beyond the paper shuffle and bovine rhetoric.

Other than that, I hope everyone stays safe, on a wing and a prayer

• Like 1

It was fun in the big village up in Chaiyaphum....street party.

But in Bangkok it's dreadful as one cannot walk out without the morons drenching you with water!

Could be going to dinner or something special!

Many expats go away for the week.

Why thousands actually come here for it just shows there are lots of Dumbos around!w00t.gif

• Like 2

Sonkran means a week inside until it is all over. thumbsup.gif

Do I enjoy getting soaking wet when I go to the shops? Nope.

Do I enjoy getting soaking wet when when I go out to dinner? Nope

Do I enjoy getting knocked off my motorbike? Nope.

I stay home and leave it to the idiots.

It's a holiday, and people should be able to enjoy themselves, not just young people, but old fogies like us.

People in their sixties and seventies (and many much younger) simply do not enjoy having to choose between staying at home for a week, and getting soaked if they venture outside.

The reason why I far prefer Loy Krathong to Songkran is that I can opt out if I want to.

• Like 2

What do you define as traditional Thai values?

Western values adopted by Phibun Songkram or Thai values that evolved over countless generations?

Or in other words, should girls be allowed to take their tops off?

• Like 1

I live in phuket and relatively young compared with most here and I hate songkran. So many stupid foreigners who throw a full bucket of water as hard as they can at your head and try and knock you off your motorbike!!!

Seems pretty tame, a few years back in Pattaya some young farangs got done for swinging bags full of ice at motorcyclists.

• Like 1

Visible Notice of Areas of Songkran Activities, and Hefty Fines for being outside of Areas and Strict Times of Water Throwing.I hate it being Forced on you, and Patts 9 days, that s insane... If I want to join in at least I have an option.

Who are we to say how to improve Songkran.

It's Thailand's new year celebrations, let Thai people celebrate it how they want.

Can you imagine if Thai people started asking "what can be done to improve Christmas?" - that would go down well.

If Thai people want to get drunk and then get behind the wheel of a pickup with 20+ other people in the vehicle then so be it.

It's a Thai custom, farangs should have no say. Nyah nyah NYAH nyah!

The perceived 'problems' with Songkran are not exclusive to this particular time of year. Hundreds of people will die on the roads in this 7 day period but Thailand has dangerous roads all year round, with the authorities seemingly not interested in making them any safer.

Yeah, just a day like any other. There's no, like, filthy water, ice, and powder throwing and accidents/injuries/inconvenience resulting therefrom. Or that happens every day too. No big deal.

It's harmless fun and a good laugh.

But why is it hooliganism?

Like a post says above, 90% of people with have a great and enjoyable time at Songkran, with the small minority spoiling it for everyone else.

No. Many Thais enjoy the traditional Songkran in villages. Most leave or don't participate in the Songkran hooliganism that we complain about here. Everyone enjoys time off and seeing their families. But that's not the point.

You seem to have not a clue what the distinguishing issues are.

I do enjoy Songran, especially looking at the smiley kids faces playing with the water.

Not a big deal if I get a little wet, after all it's bloody hot here.

What I don't like is looking at the 70yo farangs drenching the people on motorcycles with buckets of water.

They should have more sense than that.

I did enjoy it though last year when I threw a bucket of water on a farang doing that, so he can taste his own medicine..

He wasn't happy at all, but I cut him off with a smile and a Happy New Year.

• Like 2

Lock up all these annoying old people who hate it for three days.

Police enforcement should be good too to prevent drink driving maybe enforce double penalties in this week for the ones who do break the law.

for the rest, I love it.

• Like 2

Who are we to say how to improve Songkran.

It's Thailand's new year celebrations, let Thai people celebrate it how they want.

Can you imagine if Thai people started asking "what can be done to improve Christmas?" - that would go down well.

If Thai people want to get drunk and then get behind the wheel of a pickup with 20+ other people in the vehicle then so be it.

The perceived 'problems' with Songkran are not exclusive to this particular time of year. Hundreds of people will die on the roads in this 7 day period but Thailand has dangerous roads all year round, with the authorities seemingly not interested in making them any safer.

Like a post says above, 90% of people with have a great and enjoyable time at Songkran, with the small minority spoiling it for everyone else.

Small minority spoiling it for everyone else???????? The majority of roads in Thailand have those retards who throw water at motorbike riders and vehicles.