Surprise hailstorm hits the capital

Lite Beer

Surprise hailstorm hits the capital
The Nation

30259650-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THERE WAS a surprise hailstorm in some parts of Bangkok yesterday, with hailstones even hitting the roof of Parliament house.

Hail was also reported to have hit Rajdamnoen Avenue and Si Ayutthaya Road. Witnesses said the hailstones were as big as a Bt5 coin.

Heavy rain also flooded many roads and it took the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) several hours to drain water from Rama VI Road, Nakhon Chai Si Road and Si Ayutthaya Road.

Strong winds also uprooted many trees, with several in Government House falling down and hitting at least two vehicles. A red Mazda was badly damaged, with a tree crushing the roof of the vehicle and breaking its windshield at the back. Winds also pulled down tents for motorcycle parking and damaged several bikes in its vicinity.

The BMA said the capital's Pom Prab (Sattru Phai) and Dusit districts saw the heaviest rainfall yesterday afternoon, recorded at 57 millimetres and 55 millimetres respectively.

Rain also poured down in Phra Nakhon, Samphanthawong, Pathum Wan, Bang Rak, Ratchathewi, Phya Thai, Din Daeng, Sathon, Bang Kha Laem, Yannawa, Watthana, Huai Khwang, Wang Thong Lang, Bang Kapi, Suan Luang, Beung Kum, Khan Na Yow, Lat Phrao, Chatuchak, Bang Khen, Lak Si, Don Muang and Sai Mai.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Surprise-hailstorm-hits-the-capital-30259650.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-05-09

I was over in western Bangkok driving back towards the center of Bangkok and had a perfect straight-on view of the storm through the windsheild. There was a big black storm cloud a couple kilometers wide and lightning was striking the ground every few seconds. The wife was with me and we were just amazed at how rapid and physically close together the lightning strikes were. A few hours later we heard about the hailstorm on news.

Well I expect the general will give the Meteorologists 10 days to accurately forecast the weather now !!

I expect Article 44 will be applied as that's the rage right now.