Free Phuket airport shuttle bus in the pipeline

webfact

Free Phuket airport shuttle bus in the pipeline
Nattapat Tuarob

1431586704_1-org.jpg
President of Phuket Tourism Business Association, Sathirapong Na Takuatoong (in glasses) doesn't want to upset the taxis.

PHUKET: -- A new free shuttle bus service, provided by Airports of Thailand (AoT) and running from the airport to Saphan Hin, Karon and Rawai were disccused a meeting held on Tuesday (May 12) to update on management progress at Phuket International Airport. Airport parking was also on the agenda.

The meeting, chaired by governor Nisit Jansomwong and attended by relevant departments, was aimed at assisting with the management and organising of the Airports of Thailand (AoT) Phuket office.

Speaking about the new bus service, Lawyer and political advisor, Sarayuth Mallam proposed that there should be three lines; first would be Airport – Bangtao – Kamala – Patong – Karon (Beach Front line). Second, Airport – Bang Ku – Chaofa West – Rawai and third a city line to Saphan Hin.

However, President of Phuket Tourism Business Association, Sathirapong Na Takuatoong said, “If we want to do the shuttle bus it shouldn't affect the earnings of other people. We might focus on the waiting time, if you want to travel cheap you have to wait maybe half an hour for a bus to be available. That will not take advantage out of the metered taxis.”

Deputy Director of Airport Of Thailand, Phuket Office, Second Lieutenant Thani Chuangchoo said, “That would mean that there would then be two types of airport bus, one is a shuttle bus and the another is the airport bus.

“With the shuttle bus, when passengers take the route to or from the airport the bus will only stop at designated points, but with the airport bus this will stop anywhere along the route to pick up passengers.

“I think the shuttle bus is more universal but passengers will need to show their boarding pass before using the bus because it will be free.”

Gov Nisit stressed that the shuttle bus is necessary to meet the needs of airport passengers.

Currently, there are two routes for the airport bus – Phuket Town line (nine rounds) and Kata-Karon (12 rounds). However, these are not operated by AoT

Sec Lt Thani said, “The airport bus can be remained in operation because it is another choice for locals. But we will not allow them to be a minivan because we already have a concession for that type of vehicle.”

Jaturong Kaewkasi of the Phuket Office of the Transport Department said, “Actually, the reason that we use minivans is because sometimes there are not enough passengers for a bus, and if we use a bus it will cost us more money.”

Turning to the issue about parking for public transport and tour buses, a new parking area which would provide spaces for up to 300 cars and 10 for buses was propsed.

However, Gov Nisit and committee staff suggested that the space in front of the old airport terminal should be used as a paking area for tour buses and public transport so that it will ease congestion inside the new airport car park.

Mr Sathirapong said, “The airport might lanuch a yearly or quarterly parking promotion package for tour bus operators so that they don̕t park along the road outside the Airport.”

Mr Sarayuth added, “Tour buses need to come to the airport at least 45 minutes to one hour before a flight lands so it's impossible to manage the flow of buses easily.

“In addition, as for the new car park, I think Airport staff should park on the fourth or fifth floors because they work eight hours and keep their cars there a long time. Green plate taxis should also park on these floors and they can be called by walkie talkie when they̕re needed.”

Deputy Director of Airport Of Thailand, Phuket Office, Second Lieutenant Thani Chuangchoo replied that any plans can be adjusted according to the committee's suggestion.

Gov Nisit also told Tha Chat Chai police and Thalang District officers to stop cars from parking outside the Airport and to put up signs to say that if they do park there they will caught.

“I believe that most foreginers who park in this area don't have a driving licence. If we catch them I don̕t think they will do it again.

“They can't break the law when they are in their homeland but when they are in Thailand they go wild.”

Gov Nisit also said at the meeting that he still hopes to see a “Grab Taxi” system added to the existing taxi system.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/free-phuket-airport-shuttle-bus-in-the-pipeline-52319.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-14

Is this committee living in a fantasy land.

“The airport bus can be remained in operation because it is another choice for locals. But we will not allow them to be a minivan because we already have a concession for that type of vehicle.”

“If we want to do the shuttle bus it shouldn't affect the earnings of other people. We might focus on the waiting time, if you want to travel cheap you have to wait maybe half an hour for a bus to be available. That will not take advantage out of the metered taxis.”

So ... how often will this free shuttle operate to places like Patong - Karon. Have these people really thought this out or is it just a publicity stunt.

"“I believe that most foreginers who park in this area don't have a driving licence. If we catch them I don̕t think they will do it again.

“They can't break the law when they are in their homeland but when they are in Thailand they go wild.”

well it is so fortunate that Thais would never break any traffic laws, or the roads would become quite dangerous....

"They can't break the law when they are in their homeland but when they are in Thailand they go wild.”"

Does he mean tourists start acting like Thais? whistling.gif

Gov Nisit also told Tha Chat Chai police and Thalang District officers to stop cars from parking outside the Airport and to put up signs to say that if they do park there they will caught.

“I believe that most foreigners who park in this area don't have a driving licence.

Belief and fact are no necessarily the same. Present facts please.

If we catch them I don̕t think they will do it again".

Explain please.

Who are the "they". "Going wild"? What is the meaning of that?

Putting up signs without enforcement, is not likely to deter those who ignore laws and rules. One only has to observe the local population to see that.

This is another example where public relations training or a trained spokesperson could be of use.

For those of you who can't read properly and are questioning how often the service would run, here's a second opportunity: "...if you want to travel cheap you have to wait maybe half an hour for a bus to be available." Seems a very reasonable plan to me, and a similar service operates from Don Muang airport to the nearest BTS/MRT stations in Bangkok. It is supposed to be every 30 minutes, but in fact it operates more frequently when the bus is full (more trips = more money).

I would question why they want to make the service free. The Bangkok shuttle costs 30 baht. Why not charge 50 or 60 in Phuket instead of passengers having to try and find their maybe discarded boarding pass for a free service. More Thai logic at work I suppose.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

I Wonder how much the members of this useless committee get to sit and dream of a public free shuttle ... Dont they know what happen to people that becomes a threat to the taxi-mafia in Phuket ... ?