Lottery vendor wins first prize from unsold ticket

Lop Buri: – Somsri Toiam, 63, have won two pairs of lottery tickets, a first prize and a consolation prize, with the total prize money of 4.1 million baht.

As lottery vendor, Somsri said she was worrying about shouldering the cost of unsold tickets when she heard the broadcast of yesterday’s lottery draw and realised she was one of the lucky winners.

Her unsold pair of ticket number 011421 won the first prize for 4 million baht.

Her other unsold pair number 011422 won the consolation prize for 100,000 baht. The consolation prize would be paid to ticket with the closest number to the first-prize win.

The lucky winner made a statement in the daily record at Ban Mee police station, confirming the possession of the winning tickets. The police daily record can be used as legal evidence for ownership pending the claiming of lottery prize.

In her statement, she said she is one of vendors selling lottery tickets in front of Krung Thai Bank’s Ban Mee Branch.

She is a retailer who has been alloted 10 lottery booklets per draw. She would be responsible for selling three lottery booklets while the other seven booklets would be sold by other vendors in her group.

For the past few draws, the lottery sale was slackened because the government was in the process of capping the retail price at 80 baht per ticket while the current selling is at 110 baht per ticket, she said.

She said she had to shoulder the cost of unsold tickets.

Not long before the drawing of lottery prizes, a customer wanted to buy the unsold tickets at 80 baht a piece but she refused because this would not cover the cost, she said.

To her surprise, she made a right decision as she just won first prize for the unsold pair of tickets.

She said she would use her lottery win to repay loans taken out to finance her selling of lottery tickets. The remaining prize money would be saved as education fund for her grandson.

"In her statement, she said she is one of vendors selling lottery tickets in front of Krung Thai Bank’s Ban Mee Branch."

If she carries on selling tickets she is going to be flooded with customers, for many good luck is seen as contagious.

Edited by Bluespunk

So much for the scamming lottery vendors crying over unsold "unlucky" numbers. Superstitious idiot lottery ghouls.

I do not understand where the scam is?

The scam is that the price is 80 Baht, and this is printed on each lottery ticket, but nobody will sell it to you below 110 Baht. That is why "The General" threatened to abolish the entire lottery.

If you buy a 100 Baht Top-up voucher for your mobile phone at your local "SEVEN", but they charge you 120 Baht, what would you say/do ? if then you buy a can of SINGHA there, and the price tag clearly says "35 Baht", but they charge you 42 Baht, what will you say/do ?

So much for the scamming lottery vendors crying over unsold "unlucky" numbers. Superstitious idiot lottery ghouls.

As often is the case.

Edited by Bluespunk

I think that lottery vendors should be banned from winning. She even admitted that she refused to sell the tickets to people for the price that they are worth.

I hope she spends some time in jail.

this isn't a feel good story it is a sure sign of what corruption exists and why people cheat each other.

"a customer wanted to buy the unsold tickets at 80 baht a piece but she refused because this would not cover the cost, she said."

Isn't it the intent of the government to get the price of a pair at 80 baht? She she asking more for the pair? I'd say void her winnings.

Edited by Local Drunk

I think that lottery vendors should be banned from winning. She even admitted that she refused to sell the tickets to people for the price that they are worth.

I hope she spends some time in jail.

this isn't a feel good story it is a sure sign of what corruption exists and why people cheat each other.

You want her to go to jail?

Extraordinary!

Do tell, were you one digit away from winning?

I think that the person that wanted to buy the tickets has a claim to the winnings. If I were that person... I might say that I offered her the legal price as stipulated in print on the face of the tickets. I was denied the sale because the aforementioned vendor wanted me to break the law by demanding more than face value. She has denied me the right to winnings that should be mine because of her greed. Throw her in prison.

Edited by Local Drunk

I think that the person that wanted to buy the tickets has a claim to the winnings. If I were that person... I might say that I offered her the legal price as stipulated in print on the face of the tickets. I was denied the sale because the aforementioned vendor wanted me to break the law by paying more than face value. She has denied me the right to the winnings, that should be mine, because of her greed.

What rubbish you spout.

Do you truly think that she paid less than 80 baht for the tickets that she bought?

How about she should claim from her customers the price of the unsold tickets?

Good for her and I hope that she never has the opportunity to meet people like you in her life.

The scam is that the price is 80 Baht, and this is printed on each lottery ticket, but nobody will sell it to you below 110 Baht. That is why "The General" threatened to abolish the entire lottery.

If you buy a 100 Baht Top-up voucher for your mobile phone at your local "SEVEN", but they charge you 120 Baht, what would you say/do ? if then you buy a can of SINGHA there, and the price tag clearly says "35 Baht", but they charge you 42 Baht, what will you say/do ?

I know the sell price is printed on the ticket but being the last person in the lottery ticket food chain what is her buy price ? The OP hints that it is more than the displayed sell price of 80b....

Maybe the issue is further up the lottery chain.

I think that the person that wanted to buy the tickets has a claim to the winnings. If I were that person... I might say that I offered her the legal price as stipulated in print on the face of the tickets. I was denied the sale because the aforementioned vendor wanted me to break the law by paying more than face value. She has denied me the right to the winnings, that should be mine, because of her greed.

What rubbish you spout.

Do you truly think that she paid less than 80 baht for the tickets that she bought?

Good for her and I hope that she never has the opportunity to meet people like you in her life.

It's my rubbish to spout isn't it? I don't care how much she paid for the tickets... they should have been sold at face value with no questions asked. That's it. She broke the law. Yeah, she's a small fry, but that's the big problem here isn't it; everyone here seems to think that they can do whatever they want with no consequences. Just as an aside, what do you think of human trafficking? Isn't it the same thought process? I can do what I want as long as I get the money. Well, no you can't.

Edited by Local Drunk

Good for her!

exactly why the system is broken and needs reformed - if these were indeed unsold tickets then they should never have been valid for entry into the draw, how stupid is that - can you imagine how many unsold tickets there are in the country before every draw - the mind boggles

I think that the person that wanted to buy the tickets has a claim to the winnings. If I were that person... I might say that I offered her the legal price as stipulated in print on the face of the tickets. I was denied the sale because the aforementioned vendor wanted me to break the law by demanding more than face value. She has denied me the right to winnings that should be mine because of her greed. Throw her in prison.

<snip>

She buy the tickets at their value ; 80 baht;

so how she can have a little profit if she sell these tickets at the same price she bought them ?

Edited by Jai Dee
Flame deleted

Good for her!

exactly why the system is broken and needs reformed - if these were indeed unsold tickets then they should never have been valid for entry into the draw, how stupid is that - can you imagine how many unsold tickets there are in the country before every draw - the mind boggles

They were her tickets that she had paid for in order to sell on, she doesn't have to sell a single ticket if she doesn't want to to, they all belong to her and any that she hasn't sold still belong to her.

The only thing she denied anyone was the purchase of a ticket she didn't want to sell for whatever reason. When she buys the tickets from her supplier they become hers to do with what she pleases, she is under no obligation to sell them if she doesn't wish to, it's her decision, the price is irrelevant.

Yawn.......saai.gif

Edited by fforest1

"In her statement, she said she is one of vendors selling lottery tickets in front of Krung Thai Bank’s Ban Mee Branch."

If she carries on selling tickets she is going to be flooded with customers, for many good luck is seen as contagious.

Yes, but now she have to be very careful, because friends and family members will come to borrow some money......!

I'm happy for her.
Just as an aside, I was in the Asoke area of Sukhumvit yesterday and there were big signs saying 100 Baht with the vendors. First time I've seen this. Up here in Sukhothai it's normally 110 by word of mouth.

What rubbish you spout.

It's my rubbish to spout isn't it? I don't care how much she paid for the tickets... they should have been sold at face value with no questions asked. That's it. She broke the law. Yeah, she's a small fry, but that's the big problem here isn't it; everyone here seems to think that they can do whatever they want with no consequences. Just as an aside, what do you think of human trafficking? Isn't it the same thought process? I can do what I want as long as I get the money. Well, no you can't.

You do really need to get out more!

You would only be a vendor if there was no other way to survive. When I see these poor buggers on the road side , in wheel chairs outside shopping centers I feel for them. Good on her for having a little luck in life. For those who advocate suing her for refusing to sell at 80 baht, Shame on you for brining your litigation mentality to Thailand.

Good for her!

Of course they are valid, the Lottery does not buy back unsold tickets... that's what is so wrong with it.

I think, if more Thais start to boycott it, or only offer to pay 80B a ticket sellers are going to have more tickets left unsold &/or they will buy less tickets.

There are a number of ways things can go, like with SIM cards vendors may well start to charge more for lucky/popular numbers, or start at a higher price and drop their prices to 80B near to the draw, could even sell unsold tickets for less than 80B shortly before the draw.

My guess people power could boycott the system until it is changed which will probably mean a lot of street vendors will be out of a job when the likes of Camelot take it over with terminals in the likes of super markets, gas stations, 7/11, and Family Marts.