Phuket expects tourism rebound in last quarter of this year

webfact

While it very well might be up, their logic and the reasons behind the uptick are sketchy to say the least. I don't think potential visitors care about the 10% rule, the new airport terminal or any of the other fluff reasons given. Instead what they really want are clean beaches, reasonable transportation, friendly locals, less ripoffs, decent public beach facilities, better infrastructure etc.

Edited by steelepulse

Amazing that they believe this just because they said it. I haven't seen any taxi tuk tuk cleanup, nor has NKM.

BTW, I heard their source for this breaking information was a magic 8 ball.

The military has been in control of Thailand for a year, and all Phuket has to show for their intervention is some beach encroachment clean up, and even some of that has been "postponed."

They will not even acknowledge that the transport issue is, in my opinion, Phuket's single biggest issue that is repelling the western tourist market, not to mention the hundreds of people killed and injured on Phuket roads every year.

They will not acknowledge the problem because to problem is too big to manage, even for the Thai military.

So, with that in mind, what hope is there for Phuket in the future, as this essential service is withheld from tourists, locals and expats?

The negative effect on the freedom of movement of tourists can not be underestimated. It's having a big impact on tourism.

Edited by NamKangMan

I think they're right, I also see a rebound in tourism from western countries coming soon. I am convinced they'll start coming back, slowly, slowly.

Why would they come back?

What possitive changes have taken place on Phuket to lure them back?

I've been doing some of the Asian tourist spots for the last month; KL, Angor Wat, Hanoi, Danang and Hoian. Business is down all over which results in great deals for the traveler. This isn't a Thai issue. This is a world economy issue.

Also it's temperature issue, it's <deleted> hot out there. Angkor Wat at 38C?

Let's not read too much into this. It's not a trend. They'll be back. Thailand is simply the best. There is nothing really close to what Thailand has to offer.

"There is nothing really close to what Thailand has to offer." - surely, you are only talking about sex tourism with this comment.

I went to Phuket for vacation last year and will not go back. All the tourist that visited there will never come back. They remember the bad beaches, bad taxi drivers and the bad people looking to hustle you in a minute. People not forget bad vacations when they pay five star prices!

Edited by Nobb

IMHO, the 'western' tourists will never return to Phuket, (with perhaps the exception of the top-end hotels, where the guest doesn't have to venture outside the hotel grounds).

The golden goose is well and truly dead, and now the only goose is that served head, feet and all to our Chinese tourists

Thailand must stop living in denial, and admit it, less tourists are coming to Phuket.

Quite frankly it's becoming a place to avoid. It's all over the internet, all the SCAMS, the RIP-OFFS, the EXPENSE.

Just when exactly will the authorities wake up and smell the coffee ?

Thailand must stop living in denial, and admit it, less tourists are coming to Phuket.

Quite frankly it's becoming a place to avoid. It's all over the internet, all the SCAMS, the RIP-OFFS, the EXPENSE.

Just when exactly will the authorities wake up and smell the coffee ?

But, that is untrue.

There are more tourists coming to Phuket each year.

The problem is, is that these tourists are the zero Baht tourists on package tours.

They don't spend money, except at specific businesses selected by their tour groups.

If you had said 'less independent tourists are coming to Phuket', then that would be true.

The new hkt figures are more real. Report on PW.

930,231 May 2015

Bear in mind that the figure is for arrivals AND departures so cutting the May figure in half means that roughly 465,000 ''tourists'' visited Phuket in that time - and the tally includes local residents taking trips.

Just how some tourism industry authorities get the figure of 12 million tourists visiting Phuket in 2014 is difficult to imagine.

So in May i was counted also like 4 visitors.clap2.gif

At the end of the day 350.000 tourists in May are realistic.

930,231 May 2015

Bear in mind that the figure is for arrivals AND departures so cutting the May figure in half means that roughly 465,000 ''tourists'' visited Phuket in that time - and the tally includes local residents taking trips.

Just how some tourism industry authorities get the figure of 12 million tourists visiting Phuket in 2014 is difficult to imagine.

And of those, some may be in transit to other destinations.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

930,231 May 2015

And of those, some may be in transit to other destinations.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

And visa runners, who get counted 8 times a year.