High-ranking Thai army man sought for trafficking of Rohingya in South

webfact

But But didn't the army, the very top of the army assure that no military officers were involved.

However this seems to be a police generated investigation which might explain a lot. Seems the children will never be likely to play nicely.

so you would rather they just cover it up then you wouldn't be posting this garbage

I personally would prefer they arrest this person and charge him and that you remain silent as you really have never had anything constructive to say on here, my evidence is the above post

and by the way - children were playing nicely and happy at a local market in Trat until red terrorist low life thugs decided to present them with a grenade and murder them - can you honestly live with that

What are you talking about? The nation was assured there were no army people involved in trafficking.This seemed incredible given the heavy army presence and influence in the affected areas.

The only two possible explanations for the top brass definitive statement were dishonesty or incompetence.I had earlier assumed the former ( given their track record of lying) but giving these idiots the benefit of the doubt perhaps it is the latter.It seems completely incredible however there were no other senior officers involved.We shall see.

Your reaction to a perfectly fair observation was an irrelevant rant.

It's almost impossible to say that elements of the army weren't involved; to say the RTP and immigration weren't is impossible. The question is... how far up does it go? All the way to Bangkok most probably.

Edited by Local Drunk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why, when people of influence are found caught in unsavoury business, do the RTP ALWAYS announce they are seeking an arrest warrant for the perps?

Identify suspect. Get arrest warrant. Take perp into custody. THEN announce you've got ur man!

Headline should read "caught" not "sought."

He was likely long gone before the story broke (thanks to his pals who just announced that they have known he was involved for close to two weeks).

Can't wait for the spin on this from the gov't: "this bad apple was a rogue officer who acted alone"

Common sense dictates that given these refugees are arriving by boat, someone should pay a visit to this guy's pals in the navy.

As others have repeatedly opined, there is no way the army had no idea and is not involved. This depraved enterprise must have, at minimum, involved army, navy, police, immigration and local officials to have gone on for so long without anyone blowing the whistle.

Something smells like a ripe pile of bullshit!

But But didn't the army, the very top of the army assure that no military officers were involved.

However this seems to be a police generated investigation which might explain a lot. Seems the children will never be likely to play nicely.

so you would rather they just cover it up then you wouldn't be posting this garbage

I personally would prefer they arrest this person and charge him and that you remain silent as you really have never had anything constructive to say on here, my evidence is the above post

and by the way - children were playing nicely and happy at a local market in Trat until red terrorist low life thugs decided to present them with a grenade and murder them - can you honestly live with that

But he's been bubbled by the Police hasn't he ,I wonder if that was Oked by the top brass. He may have been so blatant that they had no choice , They did announce there was no Army involved. Which really was a shoot yourself in the foot statement. Because no ones involved until they get caught unless of course it tuns out to be a "Misunderstanding" biggrin.png

That will teach him to leave his fingerprints on the Thai Beer Can he dropped!clap2.gif

..............as well as 7000 Ronhigya passports

Senior Thai army officer wanted in migrant trafficking probe
AFP

BANGKOK: -- An arrest warrant has been issued for a high-ranking army officer over human trafficking, Thai police said Tuesday, making him the first military figure in Thailand to be implicated in the grim trade in migrants from Myanmar and Bangladesh.

In recent weeks more than 3,500 Rohingya Muslims, a persecuted minority in Myanmar, and Bangladeshi economic migrants have arrived on Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian soil, prompting a regional migration crisis.

Rights groups have long accused officials in junta-ruled Thailand of turning a blind eye to human trafficking, or even complicity in the trade -- but until now no army official has been implicated.

Thai national police chief Somyot Poompanmoung said Tuesday a court had issued an arrest warrant for Lieutenant General Manas Kongpan for his involvement in human trafficking.

"Police are confident in the evidence," Somyot told reporters ahead of a press conference about Thailand's anti-trafficking operations at police headquarters in Bangkok.

"I am confident he will not flee," he said, adding that police had not yet contacted the military about handing Manas over to them.

Manas is aged 58, according to a court document published in Thai media. No further details of his alleged involvement in the trade were immediately available from Somyot.

The arrest warrant for a military officer will likely raise awkward questions for Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha, a former army chief who led a coup over a year ago.

Prayut has repeatedly justified his power grab as a necessary evil to excise widespread graft he says had flourished under a series of elected civilian governments.

He has also said the tens of thousands of migrants who make the sea journey south each year are aiming for Malaysia, rather than Thailand.

An estimated 2,500 migrants are still believed to be stranded at sea after a recent Thai police crackdown on trafficking threw well-worn regional routes into chaos with smugglers abandoning their human cargo in the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.

Thai police have so far arrested 51 people over the scandal, including senior local officials, with warrants out for 33 others.

In January, months before the current crisis unfurled, Thailand said more than a dozen government officials -- including senior policemen and a navy officer -- were being prosecuted for involvement or complicity in human trafficking.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2015-06-02

Given the huge money involved, follow the paper and ATM trails, check the bank accounts, check for evidence of unusual wealth and connections with superiors and subordinates, etc. etc.

Hardly rocket science, is it?

Oh, wait...

No its not rocket science but the problem is that the money flows will implicate people higher up which means any investigation will be stopped before its started. Last year we heard someone say, if you investigate me or my brothers money you will be dealt with, that was the end of the story and B 680 worth of questions was swept under the carpet. Before we had a very high profile case of a high up policeman that was taken down by the army. This policemen was operating oil smuggling on the same border that the human trafficing took place. How could the policeman operate oil smuggling on a border controled by the RTA, without the RTA's knowledge/help ?

I have said it before but will say it again, for every B 1000 civil servants gain through graft the politicians gain B 1 from graft. The civil servants in this country have perfected graft and at the same time they mastered the art of deflecting the filth of corruption away from themselves and onto politicians.

"Police are confident in the evidence," Somyot told reporters ahead of a press conference about Thailand's anti-trafficking operations at police headquarters in Bangkok.

"I am confident he will not flee," he said, adding that police had not yet contacted the military about handing Manas over to them.

That's right Somyot, don't let doing the job you're amazingly well paid for stand in the way of a bit of self publicity!

And you see the army support it, even it is one of their own.

What's children playing in Trat got to do with two of the country's major institutions hardly being on the best of terms ?

No I don't want things like this covered up but as is so often the case there's more to things than meet the eye and there's always a potential for fallout including the gap between BIB and RTA widening. Is that too much to comprehend ?

As for garbage I'll happily defer to your superior ability to produce that, including your trademark personal attacks.

It's the stock junta apologist's reply "But but Thaksin and the Redshirts...." You could be talking about the weather forecast and they'd come at you with "But Thaksin etc".

that is good sign , that now police and army works against each other,

so revenge - more of this crocks we will get behind bars,

maybee even up to some master minds and master collector,

Open is stilla cooperations from the bank, to note authorities about suspious transfers !!

So propably now is also time too investigate in bank masters, unexpectly welthy !!

What's children playing in Trat got to do with two of the country's major institutions hardly being on the best of terms ?

No I don't want things like this covered up but as is so often the case there's more to things than meet the eye and there's always a potential for fallout including the gap between BIB and RTA widening. Is that too much to comprehend ?

As for garbage I'll happily defer to your superior ability to produce that, including your trademark personal attacks.

It's the stock junta apologist's reply "But but Thaksin and the Redshirts...." You could be talking about the weather forecast and they'd come at you with "But Thaksin etc".

the junta catched any one they got nailed , never mind from which side,

SO please take off your red filtered glasses !!

A few points on this disgraceful mess.

#I It is the job of every boss in industry, public service and the armed services to deny such allegations until they are ready to move or know someone else is. There can be no other way to act. Some of you who moan on about that "the Army said etc etc" should know better. The others just like to whinge or do not understand the responsibilities of authority. What do you expect? "Thanks for asking. Yes, several of our senior officers are up to their armpits in this but we are not quite ready to arrest them yet."

#2 The oaths of allegiance to each other in the services makes situations like this very hard for each service to deal with. No one wants to be the one to dob his fellow officers in. The pressures that can come to bear, official & unofficial, would be most uncomfortable and upsetting if not dangerous. "if you tell about me, I'll tell about you.." And "yours" might be embarrassing to admit but much less serious. The General could hardly find it easy to deal punitively with senior officers who he relies upon for support at this difficult time. Things like this have to come out now but it gets difficult in-house. As long as it does not descend into internecine warfare this is possibly the best way to deal with it. The RTA has exposed more than a few rotten apples in the RTP basket. Isn't tit-for-tat the easiest way to deal with this? Police investigate & issue the arrest warrant. Details about who prosecutes and in what court can be decided later. Everyone happy & no-one eating too much crow. Justice may yet still be done but.... TIT!!!

#3 What crimes could possibly be more disgraceful for a senior serving officer to bring upon himself & his service in peace-time than slavery, human trafficking & possible complicity in mass murder? (Theme from M*A*S*H playing softly in the background.) "The game of life is hard to play. You're going to lose it anyway...etc etc." I do not know about how losing face works here on this sort of scale but we can possibly expect a few messy endings before it is all done & dusted.

so, who can we trust now? Hardly anybody left.

You can trust me. I'll sell you a resort built on land with dodgy deeds which I bought with money I embezzled from an institution of higher learning and laundered through one of the biggest banks in Thailand. You will also get shares in my new pyramid/ponzi scheme investment company and I'll throw in a Lambo at half book value that I swear has the import duties paid on it.

It's all above board. Just trust me.

And as usual your comment is made up of lies and bs. coffee1.gif

I hardly dare say it, but could this means things in Thailand are finally on the move a bit? If the army really drops a major-general, it means more army boys will follow. So there are limits to what the real bad ones can afford to do to make an extra baht. And that would be a very nice first step in a looooooong proces.

Or is just a general they dont like for any particular reason?

A few points on this disgraceful mess.

#I It is the job of every boss in industry, public service and the armed services to deny such allegations until they are ready to move or know someone else is. There can be no other way to act. Some of you who moan on about that "the Army said etc etc" should know better. The others just like to whinge or do not understand the responsibilities of authority. What do you expect? "Thanks for asking. Yes, several of our senior officers are up to their armpits in this but we are not quite ready to arrest them yet."

#2 The oaths of allegiance to each other in the services makes situations like this very hard for each service to deal with. No one wants to be the one to dob his fellow officers in. The pressures that can come to bear, official & unofficial, would be most uncomfortable and upsetting if not dangerous. "if you tell about me, I'll tell about you.." And "yours" might be embarrassing to admit but much less serious. The General could hardly find it easy to deal punitively with senior officers who he relies upon for support at this difficult time. Things like this have to come out now but it gets difficult in-house. As long as it does not descend into internecine warfare this is possibly the best way to deal with it. The RTA has exposed more than a few rotten apples in the RTP basket. Isn't tit-for-tat the easiest way to deal with this? Police investigate & issue the arrest warrant. Details about who prosecutes and in what court can be decided later. Everyone happy & no-one eating too much crow. Justice may yet still be done but.... TIT!!!

#3 What crimes could possibly be more disgraceful for a senior serving officer to bring upon himself & his service in peace-time than slavery, human trafficking & possible complicity in mass murder? (Theme from M*A*S*H playing softly in the background.) "The game of life is hard to play. You're going to lose it anyway...etc etc." I do not know about how losing face works here on this sort of scale but we can possibly expect a few messy endings before it is all done & dusted.

getting caught = losing face, not getting caught = big man

Although there is some merit to this rebuttal, it looses some credibility based on the use of words in its content.

"so you would rather they just cover it up then you wouldn't be posting this garbage". Seems to be an assumption without support.
Trat? Grenade, murder? Seems unrelated to the original post. With some imagination, I suppose I could relate most anything to a number of topics.

I prefer to attack and dismantle the post and not attack the poster.

If this general is indeed involved, good to see him apprehended. It will hurt some people feelings that their beloved RTA has done something bad. People need understand there are always have bad apples in every sectors of our society. To withhold the dignity strongly, the incharge more need to deal with those bad apples and not covering their asses. By doing so, people will maintain having full respect for the RTA. No doubt There will be disappointment in it but it feel good as well that the current leader is wiling to act on it.

So, my sailor son, what job are you on at the moment?

"Operation Centre for Patrol and Humanitarian Assistance to Irregular Migrants in the Indian Ocean"

Phew! Must need a good memory to be a sailor!

Seriously, it looks like heads could be about to roll, and not before time!

Edited by sambum

I know that this man has only been accused. He is innocent until proven guilty.

But, I am always sad to hear. That some one as sucessful, can be so greedy. He had a good job with status, and respect. He must have worked hard, and been very capeable. He certainly had a good salary, at his pay grade. Then his greed, and perhaps feeling that he was above the law, because of his status, corrupted him. Why can't people let their good qualities come out, instead of their selfish greed.

I would like to respectfuly suggest. That theThai military acadamies. Have ethics courses, if they already do, Then they should carfully, thoroughly reevaluate them, and improve them.

OMG! Realy? blink.png

เล่นผ่านมือถือ โปรแกรมดาวน์โหลดติดตั้งง่าย ไม่เป็นอันตรายต่อระบบคอมพิวเตอร์ โทรศัพท์ หรือเล่นผ่านเว็บไซต์ได้เลย ได้ที่นี่ royal1688 iphone

You might be right, but it makes a nice change from 18 months solid of, "But, but Suthep and/or Abhisit," don't you think. That got really old over a year ago. Mind you that seems to have stopped dead since certain people found that 2008 (charges of exceeded authority) preceded 2010 (charges of exceeded authority).

The general must be close to the top as he has made Lt-Gen during the course of this thread. Only got one more promotion to be qualified for PM!

Some news items (above) describe him by name as an Lt. General & some describe him (also by name, as a Maj. General. That Journos!