US decision on 2016 Cobra Gold welcomed

Lite Beer

What Exactly Does It Mean That the U.S. Is Pivoting to Asia?

"In general, expect the United States to seek closer ties -- both militarily and economically -- in the years ahead with countries dotting the Pacific Rim. This is a win-win: For Washington, improving relations with established markets like Tokyo and Seoul and emerging ones like Jakarta and Manila presents tremendous opportunity, while for these countries the American presence acts as a check against growing Chinese power."

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/04/what-exactly-does-it-mean-that-the-us-is-pivoting-to-asia/274936/

Smart move on Thailand's part to play one superpower against another IMHO.

Do you really think they are that shrewd?

I think they are simply opportunistic turning to whoever may give benefit at any given moment.

Thailand played 2 superpowers in the 1800s, France & Britain, off each other for about 100 years. I think that's how Thailand remained the only country in SEA that was never colonized.

Obama lost support of Democratic Party back home. He's just a black republican.

No Democrats and Republicans are just two different flavors of the same. Some big show.......for the masses and some different sponsors.

Yep. I agree. When he nominated the head of the FCC who was a Comcast lobbyist I was done with Obama.

What Exactly Does It Mean That the U.S. Is Pivoting to Asia?

"In general, expect the United States to seek closer ties -- both militarily and economically -- in the years ahead with countries dotting the Pacific Rim. This is a win-win: For Washington, improving relations with established markets like Tokyo and Seoul and emerging ones like Jakarta and Manila presents tremendous opportunity, while for these countries the American presence acts as a check against growing Chinese power."

http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/04/what-exactly-does-it-mean-that-the-us-is-pivoting-to-asia/274936/

Smart move on Thailand's part to play one superpower against another IMHO.

Do you really think they are that shrewd?

I think they are simply opportunistic turning to whoever may give benefit at any given moment.

Thailand played 2 superpowers in the 1800s, France & Britain, off each other for about 100 years. I think that's how Thailand remained the only country in SEA that was never colonized.

100 years ago! Gimme a break! How is this remotely relevant to a (downsized) military exercise?

And when has any military exercise explained a nation's foreign policy? Maybe we need to go back a 1000 years!