Prayut: Thai fugitive lese majeste suspect 'not a Thai'

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I thought there might be a misunderstanding or a wrong translation - so, I went to look for the Thai source.
The translation is really correct.
First Prayuth said that the fugitives are not Thai.
And after that he says he wants to get them extradited to Thailand.

Stupidity has a name in Thailand: "Prayuth"

Edited by kriswillems

From Nz Herald January 8 2015

Nothing will have changed since.

Ekapop arrived in NZ via the UN who accepted his refugee status.

NZ takes 750 UN-approved refugees each year

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed officials had met with Thai counterparts to "explain New Zealand's refugee resettlement policy".

People who have been granted refugee status by the United Nations refugee agency could resettle in New Zealand under its quota refugee system.

First I thought there might be a misunderstanding or a wrong translation - so, I went to look for the Thai source.

The translation is really correct.

First Prayuth said that the fugitives are not Thai.

And after that he says he wants to get them extradited to Thailand.

Stupidity has a name in Thailand: "Prayuth"

To be fair to Prayuth (not something I'm overly inclined to do), in this case, 'being Thai' is not really about passports and places of birth - it's a statement about character and virtue and having the appropriate set of political-cultural beliefs. Why conservatives are convinced that they have some exclusive role in defining national virtues is a bit of a mystery but that they are sure of this is undeniable.

Generally speaking, extradition treaties only permit the return of a fugitive, inter alia, when the offence for which they are to be charged is a crime specified in both countries' penal codes. LM is not an offence in the NZ criminal calendar and therefore the Thai chap cannot be extradited. The Thai authorities are well aware of this but from time to time the junta are compelled to re-activate the issue, presumably for domestic consumption. They have done this in respect of other Thai nationals living in the UK and Japan and still persist in making representations to those countries' governments despite having been told on numerous occasions that the offence is not extraditable. Given the futility of these representations one must conclude their purpose is simply to maintain linkage between the Red Shirt movement and lese majeste in the minds of the Thai people thereby undermining its popularity.

I agree with your analysis of the situation but differ somewhat with your conclusion.I don't believe the Thai population follows these matters with rapt attention and in any event takes a more sophisticated approach than many believe.In other words they can recognise and discount propaganda.

More particularly the fanatics on the extreme right appear to be in grip of a cult which defies reason and common sense.Alongside these crazies, politicians (including the military government) seek to wrap themselves in royalist clothing so that their self serving antics can be justified.

The reality that these peoples behaviour undermines the whole purpose of the LM laws is apparently of no consequence to them.

For those like myself who believe strongly in the value of the great Thai institution there is little to be optimistic about.

By a rather cruel irony, the victim of this witchhunt said something very similar in his speech.

Removed a troll post.

Also removed some off-topic posts and replies to them. This topic is neither about Thaksin nor about Napoleon.

Also removed a libellous (buffalo) post and the replies to it.

If anyone saw the speech he made attacking the monarchy they would agree he should be arrested for poor taste and lack of tact. LM laws aside.

But then that is a predictable 7%'er attitude towards Thai law and even more predictable is his attitude towards this. He cannot simply live in NZ, he has to stir and push the Junta which is a famous RS trait that follows breaking the law.

At the end of the day he broke the law and so he does the famous RS trick of running as fast as you can away from accountability.

So we have France, Dubai and now New Zealand as red shirt havens.

We should have bets on which country the next red shirt terrorist will hide in?

Perhaps people have listened to his short commentary. DId you? I was unaware that you are now fluent in Thai.

You claim he "broke the law". I appreciate that you are an extremist and support the suspension of Habeas Corpus and basic civil liberties, and all that "silliness", however, the accused has not been subject to a fair trial has he, nor a verdict rendered and filed was it? As such, how do you know he broke the law? One can say that you break your homeland's laws every time you support the suspension of civil liberties and human rights in Thailand. However, in the absence of a trial and conviction, such an accusation is just that, an accusation.

You claim France, and New Zealand are "red shirt havens". Do you obtain some sort of emotional gratification when you make absurd and ignorant claims? These countries have a respect for human rights and the rule of law. They are obliged to accept bonafide political refugees in accordance with their national laws. Their citizens support the protection of genuine political refugees. These are not oppressive totalitarian regimes. They are no more havens than the USA, Germany, Australia, Canada or any other country where human rights are valued is a "haven".

Now you want to run bets on people being forced to flee to avoid persecution. Do you not have any self control? How much lower can one go than to suggest gambling on the suffering and misery of others? Did you also run bets on how many Rohingya were found dead and rotting away in one of the human trafficking camps linked to that army general, the general, whom the former army head and now supreme leader PM of Thailand claimed could not be involved because the Royal Thai Army was not involved in human trafficking?

Very well put together taking the resident propaganda spammer apart. Let's see him do a line-by-line rebuttal of that. We know his record for backing up his dangerous propaganda so best not hold any breath.

I doubt you could call djjamie's posts 'propaganda' in that the definition is 'a form of communication aimed towards influencing the attitude of a population toward some cause or position' and there appear to be perhaps just one or two other posters who, whilst supporting the current state of affairs here, hardly get anywhere near his rabid supporting thereof. So not particularly dangerous either. I do however wonder how he copes with all the piss taking, he's either a troll or a masochist. There's always the 'ignore' function. However, his posts show up in nested quotes, and he's certainly thread bait, if that's your thing ..

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said

he hasn't the faintest clue, does he?

Human Rights,

Article 9.
  • No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 13.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  • (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

^ Top

Article 14.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  • (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

And finally, ...

Article 15.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Exactly. That is why he needs Robert Amsterdam to smooth out his approach to the media and the world.

Thanks for highlighting this.

I forgot to add another possibility to 'troll' or 'masochist'. Mad as a hatter.

Many countries, including the UK, have LM laws on their law books, most of them do not use them as political weapons.

The Junta's insistence of pursuing their idealogical opponents on LM charges only enhances the victim's claim for asylum. The reason they are not getting a reply from countries like New Zealand is the folk whose job it is to reply have not stopped laughing at the request.

The UK doesn't currently have a LM law. Scotland used to have one, but not anymore.

The UK does have a law about offending people, but that applies to everyone, not just royalty.

If the UK had a LM law then Spitting Image would never have been aired.

yes other laws like for hate speech, causing civil unrest, etc. If jokes about the royal family would be illegal they would have to jail half UK.

On the other hand...what did the British Queen ever do for the people and how many people would listen when she speaks something.....

Well for the last 60 odd years she has been an effective and well regarded monarch, who has acted as a non political head of state. She remains a well respected, well loved even, non political leader.

I thought hard about the term leader, because I know it can be translated as Fuhrer, and that does have unfortunate connotations. But then I thought " b*ll*cks", if he is going to have a pop at Her Majesty, why not?

"an effective and well regarded monarch". Are you sure about this?

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you take a look at Youtube and watch a documentary titled 'Unlawful Killing'. HMQ tried to ban this video because she felt it's content, if widely seen, would likely result in the abolition of the British monarchy. Having seen the video, I can fully understand her concerns.

That video did nothing but further prove Mohammed Al- Fayed is a fruitcake.

At the end of the day:

Regardless if elections were held tomorrow or in 2 years = the "red shirts" would still win.

The (again) ruling Elite and it's current helmsman has decided, that such a thing must be avoided at all cost. (Power to the people in Thailand? = No way!)

Without massive international pressure (Trade Embargo as currently being applied toward Russia), the "Helmsman" and his outlook on Thailand will stay with us for a very, very long time.

As far as I know, Warren Buffet is not planning on investing in Thailand. Are you ?

Cheers.

Agreed, Thailand's an example of what happens when the ethnic Chinese become the "elite"/ruling classes.

Check-out China/Hong Kong, Singapore etc. Great, if you happen to be of Chinese origin!

Many countries, including the UK, have LM laws on their law books, most of them do not use them as political weapons.

The Junta's insistence of pursuing their idealogical opponents on LM charges only enhances the victim's claim for asylum. The reason they are not getting a reply from countries like New Zealand is the folk whose job it is to reply have not stopped laughing at the request.

The UK doesn't currently have a LM law. Scotland used to have one, but not anymore.

The UK does have a law about offending people, but that applies to everyone, not just royalty.

yes other laws like for hate speech, causing civil unrest, etc. If jokes about the royal family would be illegal they would have to jail half UK.

On the other hand...what did the British Queen ever do for the people and how many people would listen when she speaks something.....

Well for the last 60 odd years she has been an effective and well regarded monarch, who has acted as a non political head of state. She remains a well respected, well loved even, non political leader.

I thought hard about the term leader, because I know it can be translated as Fuhrer, and that does have unfortunate connotations. But then I thought " b*ll*cks", if he is going to have a pop at Her Majesty, why not?

If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you take a look at Youtube and watch a documentary titled 'Unlawful Killing'. HMQ tried to ban this video because she felt it's content, if widely seen, would likely result in the abolition of the British monarchy. Having seen the video, I can fully understand her concerns.

Agree totally, although I am not sure that any further proof was needed in the case of "The Phoney Pharaoh" as Private Eye dubbed him!

Generally speaking, extradition treaties only permit the return of a fugitive, inter alia, when the offence for which they are to be charged is a crime specified in both countries' penal codes. LM is not an offence in the NZ criminal calendar and therefore the Thai chap cannot be extradited. The Thai authorities are well aware of this but from time to time the junta are compelled to re-activate the issue, presumably for domestic consumption. They have done this in respect of other Thai nationals living in the UK and Japan and still persist in making representations to those countries' governments despite having been told on numerous occasions that the offence is not extraditable. Given the futility of these representations one must conclude their purpose is simply to maintain linkage between the Red Shirt movement and lese majeste in the minds of the Thai people thereby undermining its popularity.

I agree with your analysis of the situation but differ somewhat with your conclusion.I don't believe the Thai population follows these matters with rapt attention and in any event takes a more sophisticated approach than many believe.In other words they can recognise and discount propaganda.

More particularly the fanatics on the extreme right appear to be in grip of a cult which defies reason and common sense.Alongside these crazies, politicians (including the military government) seek to wrap themselves in royalist clothing so that their self serving antics can be justified.

The reality that these peoples behaviour undermines the whole purpose of the LM laws is apparently of no consequence to them.

For those like myself who believe strongly in the value of the great Thai institution there is little to be optimistic about.

Whether or nit the junta are right, or indeed effective, in pursuing their aims is really neither here nor there, my point was simply to provide some explanation as to why they were pursuing futile extradition requests in these cases.

One quote comes into my mind regarding attempts to reason with djjamie: "Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience", and I would add "and give them an opportunity to have a 35xx post count and be called advanced members" ;-)

Agree totally, although I am not sure that any further proof was needed in the case of "The Phoney Pharaoh" as Private Eye dubbed him!

I assume then that you've seen the video documentary, and your comments are based on facts just as the contents of the video were. Looking for knighthoods are we?

Strewth, "Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person ............. ". What kind of drivel is that ? Or as usual there is something lost in translation ? For 6 months every year my Thai wife lives with me in Australia (during the hotter months), so therefore during that period she is not Thai ?

Mr.P. that is no way to win the hearts and minds of your own people, in particular expatriate Thais.

Edited by Mot Dang

"At this moment, New Zealand has not given us any reply at all," Gen. Prayuth told reporters. "Sometimes, it's hard for [other countries] to understand when it comes to extradition, because they don't have this law."

Oh I am sure NZ understands, very much so, but like most democracies will totally ignore you. Nothing personal, it's just business.

Strewth, "Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person ............. ". What kind of drivel is that ? Or as usual there is something lost in translation ? For 6 months every year my Thai wife lives with me in Australia (during the hotter months), so therefore during that period she is not Thai ?

Mr.P. that is no way to win the hearts and minds of your own people, in particular expatriate Thais.

It does not appear to be about winning hearts and minds. It is about the demonstration of a huge degree of ignorance that is revealed nearly every time he opens his mouth. Does he not have PR people? No advisors? Where was he educated? So, Thais are no longer permitted to live overseas? By doing so, that makes you less Thai? I do know some very rich Thais who never, ever travel, though they could afford regular trips to Paris. Are they the kind of real Thais he is referring to? Or is he not a real Thai after committing the infamous LM crime?

It does not appear to be about winning hearts and minds. It is about the demonstration of a huge degree of ignorance that is revealed nearly every time he opens his mouth. Does he not have PR people? No advisors? Where was he educated? So, Thais are no longer permitted to live overseas? By doing so, that makes you less Thai? I do know some very rich Thais who never, ever travel, though they could afford regular trips to Paris. Are they the kind of real Thais he is referring to? Or is he not a real Thai after committing the infamous LM crime?
I think you may be reading a little too much into his flapdoodle. Take the guns away and he is just some self-opinionated boor running his mouth like an annoying old git in a pub. Who really gives a crap about his criteria of what it means to be Thai? Edited by baboon

I assume then that you've seen the video documentary, and your comments are based on facts just as the contents of the video were. Looking for knighthoods are we?

No I'm not looking for a Knighthood. I have seen the film, it is not really a documentary. The film was financed by Al - Fayed, to further his conspiracy theory. it doesn't have a shred of evidence for the theory which he puts forward. It wasn't banned in the UK, legal advice was that it would need some drastic editing to avoid being libelous, that is why it wasn't shown. They planned to release it in the US, but there it couldn't even get insurance against libel actions! I feel sorry for Al - Fayed, no father should have to bury his son, I feel sorry for Dianna, no-one should die like that leaving two young sons, but if you ride around Paris at high speed, playing tag with the paparazzi ,driven by a chauffeur who has been drinking, and don't wear a seatbelt, then that accident is the sort of thing that is likely to happen.

Enough - let's get back on topic.

"Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said

Hmmm, ok. Well then, using that same logic, should the same not be applied to Thaksin?

But seriously, does no Thai have their mouth connected to their brain?

Well there ya go ! I am 79 yrs old and did'nt know until now that UK has a LM law, in fact , until i came to Los had never heard of it. coffee1.gif

Since he fled this country to another, it shows that he is no longer a Thai person, and he cannot stay in Thailand," Gen. Prayuth said

he hasn't the faintest clue, does he?

Human Rights,

Article 9.
  • No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 13.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
  • (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

^ Top

Article 14.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to seek and to enjoy in other countries asylum from persecution.
  • (2) This right may not be invoked in the case of prosecutions genuinely arising from non-political crimes or from acts contrary to the purposes and principles of the United Nations.

And finally, ...

Article 15.
  • (1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
  • (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Exactly. That is why he needs Robert Amsterdam to smooth out his approach to the media and the world.

Thanks for highlighting this.

alternatively, he could simply respect human rights.

Any country that has a more or less a ( i not talk about Thailand) democratic government will never ever force anybody in their country for lese majeste laws in Thailand as it's not a crime act! So what does Thailand expect from these countries such as NZ????

Given the size of the TV audience when the Cambridge's married and when they later presented their newborn(s) to the media I suspect you may have underestimated their current standing. As for speaking; HM's speech at the state opening of Parliament in May and the Trooping of the Colour last weekend dwarfed anything remotely similar seen anywhere else in the world.

Edited by evadgib

Having seen that "documentary", for me, some of the most alarming aspects were the fact that it was proven (yes proven by documents uncovered a few years after the "inquest") that some of the key witnesses representing the "establishment" lied. Not to mention the fact that these very folk were given the titles of "Lord" after the event.

And also alarming is the fact that when the general public are asked what the verdict of the jury was after the inquest, they will almost certainly state accidental death, which is not what the jury found – – they found that Diana and Dodi were subjects of an "unlawful killing" however the royal control over the media has made sure that a bit of a whitewash has occurred.

I am definitely not anti-monarchy and viewed this documentary from a neutral perspective, however it is very difficult to do this when it is now known that key witnesses lied on behalf of the monarchy.

Having seen that "documentary", for me, some of the most alarming aspects were the fact that it was proven (yes proven by documents uncovered a few years after the "inquest") that some of the key witnesses representing the "establishment" lied. Not to mention the fact that these very folk were given the titles of "Lord" after the event.

And also alarming is the fact that when the general public are asked what the verdict of the jury was after the inquest, they will almost certainly state accidental death, which is not what the jury found – – they found that Diana and Dodi were subjects of an "unlawful killing" however the royal control over the media has made sure that a bit of a whitewash has occurred.

I am definitely not anti-monarchy and viewed this documentary from a neutral perspective, however it is very difficult to do this when it is now known that key witnesses lied on behalf of the monarchy.

Wasn't the unlawful killing verdict simply because the driver was drunk and driving too fast whilst pursued by the paparazzi?