No invitation to PM Prayut yet for 4th of July party

webfact

INDEPENDENCE DAY
No invitation to PM yet for 4th of July party

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will travel to Japan next month to attend the Mekong-Japan Summit to boost cooperation with Japan, an informed source said yesterday.

As it happens, the July 2-4 visit will coincide with the 4th of July party hosted by the US Embassy at a Bangkok hotel on July 2.

The source said that Prayut has yet to get an invitation to the US independence celebration. He was not invited to the event last year.

The Nation was able to confirm that a civilian Cabinet member has not received his invitation yet.

Shortly after last year's coup, the US downgraded its diplomatic ties with Thailand, though it maintained the Cobra Gold military exercise in the Kingdom.

Meanwhile, a source at the US Embassy told The Nation it had invited 4,000 guests, though the embassy has not yet received all the RSVPs. However, he said only around half of the invited guests actually show up at such events.

The source said the embassy invited 400-500 guests from the political arena. They range from members of main political parties, noted academics and some political activists with whom the US has worked, regardless of their political affiliation.

As for military guests, another source said the embassy was required to send the list of the invited military officers to Washington for approval.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/No-invitation-to-PM-yet-for-4th-of-July-party-30262872.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-23

Could America keep it's 4th July hoo hah in the states? You don't see Australia slapping everyone around the head worldwide with "Australia Day"

Thanks.

I've seen Aus Day parties in Thailand, wherever people of a common nationality gather in other countries they will celebrate their national days.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

Stop it. You know very well that the former PM was not invited and he most certainly does not claim to be the de facto PM of Thailand.

Latest dictat making front page news on today's BP is that journos should stop asking 'stupid' questions for fear of upsetting him. This'll reduce him to tears. Poor mite.

200 local and foreign journos to be gathered together and ' warned ' about the questions they ask.

If he can't take it ... ! He's supposedly running a country, dealing with international issues etc not in charge of the army where his word was law and everybody responded ' how high ? ' when he shouted jump. He hasn't, and probably never will, make the transition so the heavy hand will be employed every time.

It would seem to me to be disingenuous IMHO to invite the acting self-appointed PM/Strongman total Thai authority...to a party celebrating "independence" and the beginning of self-rule in the US...

To expect an invitation under these circumstances is absurd...

It should be a honor to not be invited by this US government.

You mean the government that has reduced the senseless slaughter of America's youth in countries where their sacrifice was unappreciated and where the supposed local ally government betrayed the USA at every opportunity? Or do you mean a government that was in large part responsible for the policies that supported a strong recovery from a worldwide catastrophic economic downturn? Or do you mean a government that has maintained international peace despite the idiotic actions of some?

I suppose for political extremists, bigots and ignorant US bashers the invite has no meaning. However, the government is acting on behalf of the US people. This means that it represents all of the USA, including people of various political views. That's what is so great about the USA. In the USA, unlike much of the world, free speech and civil rights are taken seriously by the majority.

Could America keep it's 4th July hoo hah in the states? You don't see Australia slapping everyone around the head worldwide with "Australia Day"

Thanks.

600 guests seems like a fair amount of "hoo hah" and a fair amount of head slapping - http://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/PR2014_AusDay.html

On 27 January 2014, the Australian Ambassador to Thailand, Mr James Wise, hosted a reception to celebrate Australia Day (26 January) at his residence. More than 600 guests attended the reception to thank guests for their contribution to enhancing the full spectrum of the Australia – Thailand bilateral relationship.

Thanks.

The US embassy is US sovereign soil so holding a 4th July celebration there would be appropriate.

If Australians aren't proud of their nationality, that's their problem.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

Stop it. You know very well that the former PM was not invited and he most certainly does not claim to be the de facto PM of Thailand.

Yes I don't think the Americans would invite a crooked fugitive even if he happens to be a billionaire mate of the Carlyle Group.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given

the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

It doesn't make sense to invite one to an event in Bangkok when one has fled the country to avoid the fascist thugs in BKK.

555 cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You men when one has fled to avoid the criminal conviction and charges that one would like to pretend are "political". Bit like inviting the head of any crime family.

It should be a honor to not be invited by this US government.

You mean the government that has reduced the senseless slaughter of America's youth in countries where their sacrifice was unappreciated and where the supposed local ally government betrayed the USA at every opportunity? Or do you mean a government that was in large part responsible for the policies that supported a strong recovery from a worldwide catastrophic economic downturn? Or do you mean a government that has maintained international peace despite the idiotic actions of some?

I suppose for political extremists, bigots and ignorant US bashers the invite has no meaning. However, the government is acting on behalf of the US people. This means that it represents all of the USA, including people of various political views. That's what is so great about the USA. In the USA, unlike much of the world, free speech and civil rights are taken seriously by the majority.

I mean that government that hold people in Guantanamo, that flies around with drones and kill "terrorist" but mostly catch the wrong person, I mean that government that support the Nazis in Ukraine and try their best to start a conflict with Russia. Yes it was the previous government that started most of the troubles, this government is speaking nicely and smart but continue the same politics.

That they support Thaksin who killed 3000 people fits in perfectly.

Ohh Gosh,

I just get all pins and needles when The Nation covers who gets invites and who gets snubbed for the 4th of july bash! biggrin.png It's such a glittering extravaganza, full of hi so folks, and rubbing elbows with Very Important People..

Sadly I stopped attending when they upped the 10 B beers but hey, I always had fun.

Thanks.

I've seen Aus Day parties in Thailand, wherever people of a common nationality gather in other countries they will celebrate their national days.

Really? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794848-to-all-the-aussies-happy-australia-day/ smile.png

I'm not talking about small groups down at the pub or a post from a single individual on a forum ... I'm talking about the WORLDWIDE hoo hah of July 4th initiated by America as a nation in a way that they think the rest of the world actually cares. It's cultural pollution. Keep it local America! The rest of the world doesn't care!